Joke Thread 4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screenshot_20231021-171023.png

Big sign by the guard rail indicating depth, nearly a metre/3 ft, no problem..........

Wonder how the driver's of commercial vehicles explain it to the boss, especially once the evidence is out there on you tube????
And why do the rescuers Wade in? Just get the stupid drivers to get out and attach the rope to their own car or stay there!

Wonder how the driver's of commercial vehicles explain it to the boss, especially once the evidence is out there on you tube????
And why do the rescuers Wade in? Just get the stupid drivers to get out and attach the rope to their own car or stay there!
Wonder how much the towers made?

Big sign by the guard rail indicating depth, nearly a metre/3 ft, no problem..........

Presumably the sign refer to the depth of the creek (river?) over which the bride passes; thus not really a good indicator of depth of water on sed bridge. Which having said.... the way some of the drivers approached the flooded section leaves one wondering if they have any idea how to negotiate "puddle"" and the like; especially in a typical family/smarller car. Trucks etc usually have a higher cleraance too and the engine less vulnerable to being drenched; not that this didn't stop some heavy trucks etc. stalling...And then one has to ensure the exhaust tail pipe doesn't get flooded which can cause an engine stall ... if driving into a flooded area at too slow or too a high speed; orif it doesn't happen due to water inrush at the front onto the engine causing it to stall and thus exhaust pressure drops... and then the engine simple chokes to stop. My own experience has always been to get out of vehicle and check, before driving through something that looks a little dubious in terms of depth, and poke around to see how deep it may/may not be... But then that's usually been in in another country and out in the wilds... Or else... turn back and find another route clear of the problem - if possible.

There is ford (I think it's in Suffolk) where the locals regularly see drivers ignore signs about the ford being " a little deep" and not really wise to chance much of the time; yet they persist and the local tractor owners do very nicely as a result... Doesn't help that satnavs seem to give it as part of a route good to use....

Presumably the sign refer to the depth of the creek (river?) over which the bride passes; thus not really a good indicator of depth of water on sed bridge. Which having said.... the way some of the drivers approached the flooded section leaves one wondering if they have any idea how to negotiate "puddle"" and the like; especially in a typical family/smarller car. Trucks etc usually have a higher cleraance too and the engine less vulnerable to being drenched; not that this didn't stop some heavy trucks etc. stalling...And then one has to ensure the exhaust tail pipe doesn't get flooded which can cause an engine stall ... if driving into a flooded area at too slow or too a high speed; orif it doesn't happen due to water inrush at the front onto the engine causing it to stall and thus exhaust pressure drops... and then the engine simple chokes to stop. My own experience has always been to get out of vehicle and check, before driving through something that looks a little dubious in terms of depth, and poke around to see how deep it may/may not be... But then that's usually been in in another country and out in the wilds... Or else... turn back and find another route clear of the problem - if possible.

There is ford (I think it's in Suffolk) where the locals regularly see drivers ignore signs about the ford being " a little deep" and not really wise to chance much of the time; yet they persist and the local tractor owners do very nicely as a result... Doesn't help that satnavs seem to give it as part of a route good to use....
The engines suck in water, then "BANG"- broken cam belt &/or bent valves &/or bent con rods = 'Piston broke'. Amazing that guy in EC got away with it, when other ECs pack up in heavy rain!

An old lady in her late 90s in an old people’s home sat on a stool holds up her hand and says anyone who can guess what I have in my hand can have their evil way with me all night not a sound, then a voice from the back shouts an Elephant a long pause then she say. That’s close enough

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be a clue if, as you drive up to a bit of flooded road, there are vehicles parked, bonnet up and steam emerging.

Possibilities - one may have overheated and the rest come out in sympathy, or water is quite deep.

Choices to be made - assume that supreme driving skill (very fast or very slow) can overcome that which has clearly caused many to fail, or find an alternative route.

The latter may add a few minutes or miles to a journey - hardly gets the adrenalin flowing, but you do get to where you are going.

The former may result in a delay of hours waiting for AA/RAC and/or possible major engine and electrical damage through flooding. But you may also enjoy the excitement of a risk taken and the warm glow afterwards of success.

It is all about assessing the odds. Does a gambler go for the safe but unexciting "find another route" and back the favourite, or in the hope of a large quick pay-off back the outsider.

We are probably all somewhat contemptuous of those who adopt different solutions to ourselves - personally I would tend towards the low risk and boring, and lack sympathy for the foolish who through taking a risk may face a bill of £000's.

Latest posts

Back