Joke thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Screenshot_20220301-090718.png

Very true, though our original plan was to abandon the french completely and it was only through some choice words we started letting them on the boats with British troops, not as an after thought once all British troops had boarded. Utterly selfish by the Government and high command.
We then sank their navy as a parting gift.

Your take on the history of that period Triton does NOT accord with the actuality. Have you never heard of the BEF ("British Expeditionary Force"). That was Brits who were sent to France (by the UK Govt) specifically to help the French (at the time the largest army in the world, bigger even than Germany by head count) in protecting France, especially Paris.

Only reason the Germans didn't clean sweep western Europe with blitzkrieg was the fact that particularly bad weather meant Operation Sealion could not take place immediately. If not for the channel it would all have been over on the Western front by 1940.

My Goodness Bm101. There aren't arf some people here who don't know their modern history! The bad weather in the English Channel came AFTER the BoB had been fought (and won)! There WAS a short delay after Dunkirk (which without double-checking, was I think in May 1940) but the BoB started in June 1940 (mainly with attacks on our shipping in the Channel), and reached it's height in August and September of 1940!

As said BEFORE the start of winter. It's generally acknowledged that if Hitler/Goering hadn't switched their attention form the RAF airfields and other infrastructure such as HCL and H (radar) to concentrate instead on bombing London, that the Nazis WOULD have succeeded in clearing the RAF from the air, thus gaining air superiority and allowing the cross channel invasion to begin. It would then have been up to the Royal Navy to save us, IF their ships could have survived long enough in an environment where the enemy had gained air superiority

Edit for P.S. Just for clarity, the BoB "Day" that we remember now is in September, as Sept 1940 is the period in which the BoB reached it's heights. Again "before Winta come"! :)

Last edited:
BEF. It does ring a bell... :cautious:

Oh yeah, that was the jolly jaunt my Grandfather was in.
51st Highland division, Corporal McCafferty Transportation. He was in the rear guard action at Dunkirk.
He didnt make it out with the initial evacuation, as in after the last big boat had left, but a day later I think(Family details are a little sketchy.
He and a small party spent the day avoiding Nazi patrols before being picked up by a Belgium fishing boat. I've always meant to see if I could access his war diary, but Mum's old(80) and can't remember all the details we need to get info for it.

I didnt say we abandoned the French. There was a mix up in that the British were intent on their evac, thinking the french were responsible for their own evac.

The point of fact -
" The reason few French warships were available at Dunkirk was because of an agreement between Royal Navy and French Navy commanders concerning theatres of responsibility; this arrangement had, thus, resulted in much of the French fleet being stationed in the Mediterranean. Now, the Royal Navy would have to shoulder the responsibility for evacuating the French, as well as the BEF, from Dunkirk

Despite British willingness to help their French allies, the most undiplomatic figure of the Anglo-French military and naval coalition was none other than the commander of the BEF, Field Marshal Lord Gort, whose scathing remarks and dismissiveness of the French martial ability throughout the Battle of France possibly helped drive a wedge between the Allies.

When Gort first learned of the arrangements for the French at his headquarters at La Panne on 29 May, he immediately telegraphed the Chief of the Imperial General Staff, Field Marshal Sir John Dill, to ask for clarification on whether French troops were to be evacuated alongside British troops in equal numbers. Gort reminded Dill that the safety of the BEF was his primary consideration: ‘every Frenchman embarked is at cost of one Englishman "

Last edited:
Reactions: AES
Going on now in Ukraine and it's the same old sh**. Normal people from both sides dying and suffering for the sale of a handful of old maniacs.
I saw today on the news about people donating to Ukrainian civilians, clothing and bedding and so on. Medical supplies being in desperate shortage. I'll be sorting through some stuff tomorrow. Might help a small bit.
Sorry if I went on a bit there.

No problem there for me Bm101. And yes, you're right about "same old, same old". (Twas ever thus).

... That was Brits who were sent to France (by the UK Govt) specifically to help the French (at the time the largest army in the world, bigger even than Germany by head count) in protecting France, especially Paris.

Which of course leads nicely to the old joke - how many men does it take to defend Paris? No one knows, no one's ever tried.

Oh grow up, stop being offended by everything. I bet you're a millennial ? I'm right aren't I ? I can tell just by the way you're acting. You feel like you're entitled to tell other people what they can and can't say, what they're allowed to find funny.

Everyone else here is having fun, the only one being "toxic" is you.

Too funny... You're the one acting like a big baby. I was just politely stating a different point of view. You're the one trying to cancel my point of view by shouting me down - exactly what the Woke people you're so upset about do.

I'm far from a millenial by the way

BEF. It does ring a bell... :cautious:

Oh yeah, that was the jolly jaunt my Grandfather was in.
51st Highland division, Corporal McCafferty Transportation. He was in the rear guard action at Dunkirk.
He didnt make it out with the initial evacuation, as in after the last big boat had left, but a day later I think(Family details are a little sketchy.
He and a small party spent the day avoiding Nazi patrols before being picked up by a Belgium fishing boat. I've always meant to see if I could access his war diary, but Mum's old(80) and can't remember all the details we need to get info for it.

I didnt say we abandoned the French. There was a mix up in that the British were intent on their evac, thinking the french were responsible for their own evac.

The point of fact -
" The reason few French warships were available at Dunkirk was because of an agreement between Royal Navy and French Navy commanders concerning theatres of responsibility; this arrangement had, thus, resulted in much of the French fleet being stationed in the Mediterranean. Now, the Royal Navy would have to shoulder the responsibility for evacuating the French, as well as the BEF, from Dunkirk

Despite British willingness to help their French allies, the most undiplomatic figure of the Anglo-French military and naval coalition was none other than the commander of the BEF, Field Marshal Lord Gort, whose scathing remarks and dismissiveness of the French martial ability throughout the Battle of France possibly helped drive a wedge between the Allies.

When Gort first learned of the arrangements for the French at his headquarters at La Panne on 29 May, he immediately telegraphed the Chief of the Imperial General Staff, Field Marshal Sir John Dill, to ask for clarification on whether French troops were to be evacuated alongside British troops in equal numbers. Gort reminded Dill that the safety of the BEF was his primary consideration: ‘every Frenchman embarked is at cost of one Englishman "

I retract my earlier comment Triton. It seems you do know that part of history. And BTW, I agree 100%, Lord Gort was, apparently "a typical Brit" (Army Brit anyway)!.

One thing that is more to the point, is not who did the most in the war, but all the undeserving people who lost their lives because a few power hungry cretins.

Come on chaps let put the past behind us for a while before this get changed to the History channel and get back into jokes.

Question: how many bright spark's does it take to light a light bulb?

Come on chaps let put the past behind us for a while before this get changed to the History channel and get back into jokes.

Question: how many bright spark's does it take to light a light bulb?

I don't know Phil how many ?

Talking about kerryman jokes; an Englishman, Scotsman, and an Irishman were crossing the Outback when the car broke down, so they decide to hoof it to the nearest town. It is a bit hot, so the Englishman takes the only bottle of water. The Scostman takes the only hat. The Irishman takes the car door.
"What are you doing with that?" asks the Englishman.
"Well, when it gets too hot, I'll roll down the window and let in some fresh air"

Oh, come on guys! Just as I thought we had finally got back to a 'joke thread' it turns all political and bleeding-heart again. By definition, jokes are nearly always at the expense of somebody or other's limitations or peculiarities. If you find racism, sexism, nationalism or any other -ism in humour unacceptable, then spare yourself the angst and don't read the thread! And if somebody DOES whinge and complain, don't fuel the argument by remonstrating with him or her - just ignore them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back