Jointer/planer machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nath1842

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new on here and wondering if anyone can give me any advice on choosing between two jointer/planer combo machines? I'm looking at the Jet jpt 260 and the Axminster At107 pt with spiral tct cutter. Has anyone had any experience with either of these machines? I've heard Jet is a good quality brand but I'm not sure about Axminster?
Not seen either machine in the flesh yet. Hoping to see both on Saturday at a woodworking show in Harrogate. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

I have used both and own the Jet JPT 260. They are in my opinion both great machines, however I thought the jet had the better build quality and the ease of use.

The Jet just worked straight out of the box without any adjustment or setting up.

I don't have skin in the game as I use a Felder P/T. However I've seen the spiral block Axminster P/T in action and it was a hugely impressive piece of kit. It's the latest generation of tungsten carbide spiral cutter with profiled edges to each blade and an angled placement, so you get a shearing action that delivers tear out free machining on figured timber. If and when I ever upgrade I'll certainly be going the spiral block route and having seen the Axi machine their spiral block is the equal of anything else out there. Any P/T is only as good as its knives, but most users struggle on with blunt HSS knives way past when they should be changed, a really good quality spiral block is a game changer. Personally I wouldn't hesitate, the Axi machine is the one to get.

I'd add the Hammer A3 to your list of planners to look at if you want a spiral block, definitely worth a look, I'd go for Hammer over Axminster every time

Have you though about used machinery?

I'm very likely to get my hands smacked by the mods but reason I'm asking is because I'm looking to downsize and will be selling my Robland (Startrite) XSD 310 which has been only lightly used and is in very good condition.

I haven't listed it yet for sale as I haven't worked out a price or taken photographs. Downside is I'm in Northumberland

Bob

Peter Parfitt gives the Jet a good review on his YouTube channel. He likes the swiftness of the change over between planer and thicknesser.

I saw one today at Harrogate woodworking show - it looked well built, and nice and compact for a single garage workshop.

On an entirely superficial level, what is it with Jet and their off-white paint work? They never seem to have any consistently with it. Some stuff is a nice milky white (18" Bandsaw) whereas stuff like this planer is more of a nicotine tinged white, as if its spent too much time in the workshop of a chain smoker...

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Lons":1g7gx9p3 said:
Have you though about used machinery?

I'm very likely to get my hands smacked by the mods but reason I'm asking is because I'm looking to downsize and will be selling my Robland (Startrite) XSD 310 which has been only lightly used and is in very good condition.

I haven't listed it yet for sale as I haven't worked out a price or taken photographs. Downside is I'm in Northumberland

Bob

Can't help thinking that a decent 12 inch Startrite, Multico or Sedgwick would be a good buy`

I also have a Startrite SD300 which has 12" blades, 3 to the block and long tables. Cast iron everything incl fence and the changeover to thicknessing is literally a 5 second operation. I've never used a spiral cutting block and I don't doubt they're great but I have used cheaper planers and the Startrite is head and shoulders better. It also weighs 1/4 of a tonne so no vibration.

Is it not a monumental pain in the wotsit to change all the little blades on a spiral block?

TC knives/cutters will last 15-20 times as long as HSS, so if it is a faff then it's a very rare faff, plus there's zero knife setting involved. Take all that into account and I reckon you'd be quids in in terms of maintenance time with a spiral cutter block.

Anyhow if I ever win the lottery then a spiral cutter block will be my first upgrade, if so I'll report back when I've done it a few times!

Thanks for many replies, given me a bit to think about. Also since going to the Harrogate show I became convinced I'd be better off getting a larger one and am now looking at the Axminster 129 model, still with spiral tct cutter. Although at ££2000 offer price, £2170 full price I'm thinking maybe I should look again at other brands?
Like the look of the hammer machine, found it hard to find prices tho. I'm sure the equivalent size with spiral txt cutter would be much more expensive?

I have watched most of the peter parfitt videos actually. I like watching his vids but you can't help noticing he likes everything he reviews! He didn't say too much about why he so wanted to swap the Axminster p/t to the Jet one.
It make me wonder if he found in use it wasn't that good but didn't want to say as he seems to have a relationship with Axminster.

Bob I hadn't seriously considered used machines, mainly because I'd find it difficult to trust that it hadn't had abuse or A a lot of wear that can't necessarily be seen. Having said that, I wouldn't rule it out. I just looked up yr machine, that's an expensive piece of kit if I was looking at the right one. What's wrong with talking about selling something on here then?

I have a negative review if that helps. I briefly had an Axminster planer, 106PT2, the previous version of the one you're looking at. I never actually got to plane anything as it kept blowing starting capacitors. I spent 4 weeks incredibly frustrated before finally sending it back for a refund. It was up on Axminsters ebay shop the very next day... To give axminster their due, they did refund promptly once I'd decided to reject the unit.

I buy a lot from axminster, but after that experience I wont be buying any of their machinery.

Nath1842":3t5xw0ip said:
I have watched most of the peter parfitt videos actually. I like watching his vids but you can't help noticing he likes everything he reviews! He didn't say too much about why he so wanted to swap the Axminster p/t to the Jet one.
It make me wonder if he found in use it wasn't that good but didn't want to say as he seems to have a relationship with Axminster.
If you watch to the end of the Axminster review he does criticise it.

Slow to change over modes

Taking the heavy fence off on change over and then having to reset the fence.

Build quality of the guard arm.

And BTW to anyone considering the Jet - it also takes a Helical type head.

YorkshireMartin":4naqq26w said:
I have a negative review if that helps. I briefly had an Axminster planer, 106PT2, the previous version of the one you're looking at. I never actually got to plane anything as it kept blowing starting capacitors. I spent 4 weeks incredibly frustrated before finally sending it back for a refund. It was up on Axminsters ebay shop the very next day... To give axminster their due, they did refund promptly once I'd decided to reject the unit.

I buy a lot from axminster, but after that experience I wont be buying any of their machinery.

But all machines may have issues. They may have done something too it before putting it on ebay. Did they not have a chance to put it right?
Its pretty obvious not all of these machines blow capacitators

Selwyn":24cmmjig said:
YorkshireMartin":24cmmjig said:

But all machines may have issues. They may have done something too it before putting it on ebay. Did they not have a chance to put it right?
There must be something about thicknesser/planers on start up. If there is any machine in my shop that will trip the breaker on start it's my thicknesser/planer - and it is a small cheapo Titan.

This is mentioned on the PP review of the Jet, in its 16 amp requirement.

Selwyn":2qxnnbiw said:
YorkshireMartin":2qxnnbiw said:

There was a bit more to it than that. The drive belt was running out of true and had already (from 6 start ups) worn through the paint and into the metal of the housing. The starting capacitor that was sent belonged in a 3 phase machine which is a shocking oversight. The tables were a good bit out of flat, paint was chipped and I'm pretty sure there was some other stuff that I can't bring to mind right now.

Initially they sent out a starting capacitor of the correct type which I had to install myself. I did so, it immediately went pop. Sourced another myself, same result.

At that point, with all the faults, I concluded that I didn't want it putting right. Having spent the best part of a thousand pounds, I do rather expect to see some evidence of quality control. After sales customer service only goes so far. True customer service begins on the production line.

This was a trade rated machine. Had I been operating a professional shop, I'd have lost more than the machine is worth due to not being able to machine timber. It's just not good enough to keep my business.

Bodgers":22lvkmq8 said:
Selwyn":22lvkmq8 said:
YorkshireMartin":22lvkmq8 said:

There must be something about thicknesser/planers on start up. If there is any machine in my shop that will trip the breaker on start it's my thicknesser/planer - and it is a small cheapo Titan.

This is mentioned on the PP review of the Jet, in its 16 amp requirement.

My Sedgwick draws 67A at startup if I recall correctly. Crazy. To counteract this I tend to initialise it first, then get to the extraction. It's really the limit of the 16A supply I have but so far, I've never tripped anything and I also tend to have a 1200W electric heater going at the same time.

Currently running my p/t from an extension lead out in the new shed. It blew three 13a fuses before finally getting going. In had been -5 overnight tho so it was a tad cold. Taking the planner feed off helps a little, but short of setting a fire under it the only way to warm it up is to get it running.

I would also recommend the Hammer, which is available with a spiral block, but the replaceable Tersa style knives are very quick to change. To get prices you ned to create an account and log in on the Felder website.

Latest posts

Back