Axminster MB1933 planer thicknesser, spiral cutterhead?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helter7

Reaction score
Hi guys

Ive currently got an axminster MB1933 planer, have been really pleased with it, but would like a smoother finish straight from the planer and less snipe.

I'd like to upgrade to a spiral / shelix / carbide tooth cutterhead, does anybody know if there is one on the market?
I'm assuming that the planer is the same as a Jet, or some other brand, which might yield a result (but haven't been able to establish if this is the case).

Alternatively, I could get a new planer, but once again would need to come with (or the option to purchase seperately) a spiral cutterhead.
Anybody have any recommendations.

Thank you :)

You could try Sheartak. If they don't have it in their files (or the same under another brand) they will make it to fit. Information is on the bottom of their page. Spiral Cutter heads, Helical Cutter heads at Sheartak Tools Ltd. I believe they will ship it directly from their manufacturing plant in Asia. I have considered improving my machines with their heads. Just have to find where the wife hid my bucket of money.

Pete

You could try Sheartak. If they don't have it in their files (or the same under another brand) they will make it to fit. Information is on the bottom of their page. Spiral Cutter heads, Helical Cutter heads at Sheartak Tools Ltd. I believe they will ship it directly from their manufacturing plant in Asia. I have considered improving my machines with their heads. Just have to find where the wife hid my bucket of money.

Pete
Thank you, nothing showing in the axminster list. I'll drop them a message though, thank you :). Yeah, not cheap are they.

You will still get snipe even with a spiral head, that's down to the machine setup. I've got a spiral head in my PT, there is still some work to do once the wood has come off the machine, it's good but not finish ready.
I had a dw733 before, if the darn thing wasn't so loud I probably wouldn't have changed it.

Matt

I'm sure Laguna and a couple of the German made planers come with that as standard.....plus Axi do the upgrade on a new machine.....
it's still Chinese machine tho....prob all a bit over ur limit....
looked into getting one for my 16" planer....it has to be custom made and without a drawing the starting price was £2,500...
Canadian firm.....and the only way is upon pricing....
for my dewalt planer, the cost is $500'ish dollars US.....almost as much as it's worth...
I can sharpen a lot of HSS for that.....have the machines to make one but not the confident skills req unfortunately...

You will still get snipe even with a spiral head, that's down to the machine setup. I've got a spiral head in my PT, there is still some work to do once the wood has come off the machine, it's good but not finish ready.
I had a dw733 before, if the darn thing wasn't so loud I probably wouldn't have changed it.

Matt
Cheers Matt

I'm sure Laguna and a couple of the German made planers come with that as standard.....plus Axi do the upgrade on a new machine.....
it's still Chinese machine tho....prob all a bit over ur limit....
looked into getting one for my 16" planer....it has to be custom made and without a drawing the starting price was £2,500...
Canadian firm.....and the only way is upon pricing....
for my dewalt planer, the cost is $500'ish dollars US.....almost as much as it's worth...
I can sharpen a lot of HSS for that.....have the machines to make one but not the confident skills req unfortunately...

Yeah, was looking at the Laguna last night, the PX12.

I'm a huge fan of Laguna, have got the Fusion 3 table saw, and also the 16-32 drum sander, quality of both is amazing.
Unfortunately the PX12 isn't available in the UK for some reason, I did ask Laguna UK previosly, and they said there was no plans to make it available here, not sure why. I've done some searching to see if there is a 220-240v version of the PX12, in another country, but haven't found one as yet.

Is your dewalt planer the 733 or 735?
You happy with it?

Latest posts

Back