Japanese chisels advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems a good deal for the price, if you want to go down the Jap chisel road, tho' I would steer clear of waterstones - I ruined a set of Jap chisels by flattening the backs on a concave stone (which happens in the blink of an eye) so IMO I would beware - Rob

Thanks for that Rob.

Is there anybody else out there with any thoughts on these chisels. I just can't make up my mind whether to get them or not. :?

Cheers

Drew

Drew

I've bought a fair bit of stuff from these guys and have been very pleased with my purchases. I'm tempted myself !

Also when I buy several items from their eBay shop at the same time then they will consolidate to save postage costs.

as dick tools would say do these chisels have inner life?. give them a try. just because a chisel is made in japan and looks correct does not mean it is made correctly or even that it is made of blue or white paper steel. with the enormous growth in popularity of these chisels (in the states) look alikes are quite common. forge welding is a time consuming process and these chisels have varying amounts of individual skilled input accounting for the massive price differences.

johnnyb,

as dick tools would say do these chisels have inner life?. give them a try. just because a chisel is made in japan and looks correct does not mean it is made correctly or even that it is made of blue or white paper steel. with the enormous growth in popularity of these chisels (in the states) look alikes are quite common. forge welding is a time consuming process and these chisels have varying amounts of individual skilled input accounting for the massive price differences.

At £99 for 10 chisels I would not expect them to be top notch. I was just wondering if those that have bought them have found them to be any good at all.

Cheers

Mike

i have a japanese no 5 plane blade that is mass produced (samurai brand) and it is much better(but thinner) than the clifton blade in my other plane. i would definitely buy them if they were as good as them.

they are not top notch - but they are worth their money, if you want a top notch set of chisels you will have to spend much more £ for it.

Latest posts

Back