Making a toy car with a scrollsaw (or maybe a bandsaw)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Lesson 1: make sure the table is 90deg to the blade.
Lesson 2: check to make sure your workpiece fits under the arm #-o
Maybe they should be the other way around.

Thought I'd have a go at making a toy car. Lightning Mcqueen seems to the fave at the moment so found a wooden toy on Amazon, saved a pic and drew my own using Inkscape. I already had some pre-made wheels and axle pins so designed the car around the wheel size, in this case 38mm. Not having any decent wood and this being attempt number 1 I resorted to some mdf scraps I had hanging about. I'm currently waiting for the primer to dry so thought I'd share this in case any other newbies fancy a go. I may cut the lightning decals from a thin strip of something and affix to the sides if I can work that finely.

If anyone wants the SVG file of pattern to amend or have a go just pm me your email address.

0.Print pattern, affix to wood (or MDF)

lmcar.png

1. The outer pieces. screwed together in the 'scrap' areas and wrapped in clear tape. Cut just the bottom edge and the wheel arches. (I used a bandsaw to roughly cut most of the scrap off). The plan being that all 4 pieces of the car are to be cut at the same time, therefore reducing the need for sanding and shaping later on.
2. The inners. Fixed together as before and axle holes drilled.
3. Separate outers, and sit one on top of an inner to check for wheel fit and arch clearance. Trim if necessary :oops: .

IMG_0533.jpg

4. At this point the plan was to fix all 4 pieces together and drill/ cut window and outer. See lesson 2 above :roll:
So I cut the outer pair and then the inner pair, leaving 'lugs' at the fixing points. Re-tape the two pieces together before cutting off the lugs with fixing screws in.

IMG_0532.jpg

5. Glue and clamp all together.
6. Sand rough edges and mis-aligned window edges (see lesson 1 above).

IMG_0536.jpg

7. round over edges.

IMG_0539.jpg

8. Paint
9. Affix wheels and axles
10. Play.

I'll update with a pic of the finished article once its painted.

Attachments

• lmcar.png
    lmcar.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,322
  • IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 1,322
  • IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 1,322
  • IMG_0536.jpg
    IMG_0536.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,322
  • IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 1,322
Looking good..I could perhaps make some of these for the grandsons at some point in time..I'm sure to have a load of scrap hahahahahaha
Brilliant mate thanks for sharing
Regards
C

Nice one, Nev, and good to see you got that Ferm/Hegner hybrid working OK.

For anyone interested in making such toys, Steve Good has a great pattern for a tractor, which I made about 3 years back. As simple as it is, it was probably the thing I've most enjoyed making on the scroll saw.

Attachments

• tractor small.jpg
    tractor small.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,289
Buffalo Chas":24c19njd said:
As a point of interest Nev what primer are you using for the MDF.

Charley

I happened to have recently purchased a tin of Zinsser Bullseye 123, to prime some galvanised posts I was putting in and it turns out its good for mdf and wood too, so I'm trying that. Seems ok so far.
Also mr. xiphidius is using the same here... just-a-couple-of-wee-pieces-t103952.html so hopefully its the right stuff :)

Finished!
messed up the decoration but it all adds to the character :wink: and a five year old probably won't care.

Attachments

• IMG_0558.jpg
    IMG_0558.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 1,087
  • IMG_0559.jpg
    IMG_0559.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 1,088
  • IMG_0560.jpg
    IMG_0560.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 1,088
  • IMG_0561.jpg
    IMG_0561.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 1,088
  • IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 1,087
Another Pixar cars car, this time Lewis Hamilton, at the request of the littl'un that had the Lightning Mcqueen red one.

This time three central layers as two didn't look right.
Don't look to closely, its a bit rough on the inner cab and had a slight reaction with the paint, we live and learn! but 5 year olds are not as fussy as grown ups, he's happy so thats good enough for me. :)

IMG_0616.jpg

In the shop :)

IMG_0608.jpg

LH rod3.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 423
  • LH rod3.jpg