Table saw fence upgrade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dokkodo

Established Member
Reaction score
Im just moving from sussex to somerset and moving workshops. Now that im on the ground floor(!), was going to treat myself to a table saw upgrade, I currently have a Kity 0619 but without any extensions. Its fine, has enough power and reach, but not a huge bed. The two issues are slight arbor wobble (almost a mm by the top of a larger blade) and the fence being pretty average, maybe original, and quite short on lateral extension, max sensible cut width is about a foot or something.

I was going to upgrade completely, but just saw the charnwood fence system going for about £70 on ebay here and a thread [urlhttps://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/charnwood-aftermarket-rip-fence-t111432.html]here[/url] about it, though not much is mentioned on its quality. Its half the money (ish) of the axminster one and id rather not fork out tonnes or id just replace the saw. With a longer fence I can just build my own extensions too. I know the Charnwood saws dont always get rave reviews but wondered whether anyone could comment on the fence?

Alternatively, if anyone can recommend a particularly excellent and relatively low effort DIY design id be interested, but i think id rather spend money than time in this case, £70 is a lot less than i would charge for what would probably end up endless days of fettling. And if I can sort the fence then itll worth fixing the arbour... not that it wasnt before)

Any advice welcome, thanks

Hello
Did you check for any burrs or crud on the arbor flanges?
I had quite a bit of wobble on my saw, and a very light quick lick on a surface plate solved the issue.
These flanges have a concave profile, as they're only meant to be in contact with the blade on the outside edges, and flatten out somewhat when the arbor nut is tightened.

The Biesemeyer fence looks easy enough to make if you want to go the DIY route.
I think Steve of this parish might have a thread on it.
Good luck with the new workshop :D
Tom

Ive had a cursory wipe of arbour and flange, and done some dial indicating, so im faaaairly certain :S . I recently found a few tutorials with dial indicator and marking high spots and judicious filing, sounds like the way for me. Videos of youtube of people grinding the running arbor not so appealing.

Thanks though, very excited to be moving to a new space! The last one was more a storage unit that slowly turned into a workshop as I made my living more out of it, whereas this can be dedicated space from the beginning which is going to be lots of fun!

Back