Is there a battery/cordless 23G pin nailer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams93

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I keep trying to buy a 23G pin nailer. I have a 18G Brad nailer but it is no good for finish work.

My 18G Brad nailer is a titan (screw fix) one, it was only cheap approx £30.

I cannot seem to find a 23G equivalent, I don’t really want to spend a lot on one, the cheapest one I can find is the Ryobi at £179 which seems a lot!

I don’t mind if it’s corded or cordless! If anything I’d probably prefer corded to avoid having different batteries (all my current battery powered stuff is dewalt). I don’t have room for an air compressor so the air ones aren’t an option for me sadly.

The cordless Ryobi is a totally difference beast to a cheap corded one.

My Titan corded one is a violent thing, loads of kickback from the flywheel system which fires. The Ryobi cordless is a lovely thing. It's got an on-board air compressor, and is way quieter and almost no kick.

I understand it might still be more than you want to spend, but it might help to know you're paying for more than just losing the wire, it's an all-round nicer thing to use.

Makita also do an 18v 23g pin nailer, the DPT353, and DeWalt released the DCN623 earlier this year - again, both are probably more than you want to spend...

The cordless Ryobi is a totally difference beast to a cheap corded one.

My Titan corded one is a violent thing, loads of kickback from the flywheel system which fires. The Ryobi cordless is a lovely thing. It's got an on-board air compressor, and is way quieter and almost no kick.

I understand it might still be more than you want to spend, but it might help to know you're paying for more than just losing the wire, it's an all-round nicer thing to use.
Im actually a bit confused now. I thought the Ryobi was available in the UK - but now I check it doesn't actually appear to be?

Pretty sure Ryobi don’t officially sell the 23g here (as mentioned above, neither do Milwaukee, probably a decision from their parent company TTI) so just be aware that any you find on eBay or Amazon will likely be grey imports. Nothing wrong with that - I have a couple myself - just be aware you won’t have the support/service of Ryobi UK if anything goes wrong. 👍

Edited to add; it was cheaper for me to buy a compressor and 23g air nailer than it was a cordless - and I already have a mains electric 21g.

Pretty sure Ryobi don’t officially sell the 23g here (as mentioned above, neither do Milwaukee, probably a decision from their parent company TTI) so just be aware that any you find on eBay or Amazon will likely be grey imports. Nothing wrong with that - I have a couple myself - just be aware you won’t have the support/service of Ryobi UK if anything goes wrong. 👍
Ugh - that is annoying!

It looks like the ryobi is basically my only option... which also means buying a new charger and battery too....

Very annoying

Edited to add; it was cheaper for me to buy a compressor and 23g air nailer than it was a cordless - and I already have a mains electric 21g.
I have just read your edit - I am actually wondering if this might be what I have to look at! I have such a small workshop that I havent a clue where I could fit a compressor - but I shall have a look at some compact options!

I have just read your edit - I am actually wondering if this might be what I have to look at! I have such a small workshop that I havent a clue where I could fit a compressor - but I shall have a look at some compact options!

Change of tactic then - I will look for the smallest air setup I can find. Draper do a very small 6 litre compressor which I could probably find room for.

What pin nailer did you manage to find on the cheap? I looked at axminster who do a 24 gauge nailer, but as far as I can see 24 gauge nails arent widely available, and the max depth is about 20mm. I'd prefer to get a 23 gauge which seems more commonplace.

Change of tactic then - I will look for the smallest air setup I can find. Draper do a very small 6 litre compressor which I could probably find room for.

What pin nailer did you manage to find on the cheap? I looked at axminster who do a 24 gauge nailer, but as far as I can see 24 gauge nails arent widely available, and the max depth is about 20mm. I'd prefer to get a 23 gauge which seems more commonplace.
I have an 8-litre Hyundai compressor (video here). Not to be overly cryptic, but I’m afraid I won’t mention or promote in any way the nailer or the company that sold it as - while the nailer is perfectly decent - the two are intertwined and the company are a bunch of monkeys and not to be trusted, in my experience.

I have an 8-litre Hyundai compressor (video here). Not to be overly cryptic, but I’m afraid I won’t mention or promote in any way the nailer or the company that sold it as - while the nailer is perfectly decent - the two are intertwined and the company are a bunch of monkeys and not to be trusted, in my experience.
Thanks for this - I will watch.

I'm leaning towards ordering the 23ga ryobi from the US and then using a dewalt battery converter to let me use it with my existing batteries. Did you say you have the 23ga ryobi? Is it any good?

Sounds like you are close to making your mind up but it's a +1 for the Makita DPT353 from me. I wasn't too keen at first due to worries about battery platform "creep" but it's performance makes up for that.
We've also got an older Axminster (air) 23ga nailer which has been great, but the last guy I know who bought one said the nail clip flew open everytime he shot a pin! As you say, it' also limited in the length of pins it fires - the Makita theoretically takes a 35mm pin but I'm yet to get one of these to sink fully into the material. 30mm seems ok, depending on the hardness of your material.
Right, I really need to go a introduce myself properly in the right place I guess...

Thanks for this - I will watch.

I'm leaning towards ordering the 23ga ryobi from the US and then using a dewalt battery converter to let me use it with my existing batteries. Did you say you have the 23ga ryobi? Is it any good?
No, no experience with the 23g Ryobi; I have a narrow crown stapler (good) and 16g nailer (so-so) from Ryobi, both bought much more cheaply from a US supplier on eBay, and I’ve had no problems with either.

Sam, don't discount Poland or Lithuania.....I've had no probs with deliveries or language....
last time I bought from the US, DHL screwed me poper...
it was a 1914 speedo for an antique m/cycle....

also it doesn't matter now but a lot of US stuff was sold in Russia....
but found it's way in to Poland etc.....
A DeWalt p/t was sold there but not in the UK, EU.....prob some stupid safety issue.......
and at US prices, not the over inflated UK , EU price.........
just sayin.....
we def need a free trade agreement with the US.....

I went air in the end. Similar to what @petermillard explained earlier in this thread, I couldn't see the point in importing a Ryobi cordless from the US (without warranty) for £190, PLUS a battery adapter (another £20) = total £210. Just on a pin nailer.

I used the axminster black friday deal to get their 24 gauge pinner for £40, and then bought the compact draper 6L compressor for £85 = total £125.

I don't really understand why it is 24 gauge rather than 23 gauge, I havent seen any other manufacturers of 24 gauge in the research I have been doing, and looks like axminster is the only place to get the nails which is a bit concerning!

Checked all the stats and should work OK, I am super limited with workshop space so I will have to have a re-organise to fit the compressor somewhere, but I figured it opens the door to a range of other air tools as well such as sprayers and impact wrenches for when I'm messing about with the car etc. (I do realise being such a small compressor I am limited to smaller air tools that can cope with low CFM, and in particular with the sprayers I will have a limited range of LVLP to choose from)

Back