Is the tool shortage over?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bristol_Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
I notice lots of 'back in stock' posts from retailers and plenty of second hand tools available.

Additionally, I wonder with the cost of living outpacing wages that woodworking may be becoming too expensive a hobby for some.

I've also noticed, people selling up lock, stock and barrel.

I notice lots of 'back in stock' posts from retailers and plenty of second hand tools available.

Additionally, I wonder with the cost of living outpacing wages that woodworking may be becoming too expensive a hobby for some.

I've also noticed, people selling up lock, stock and barrel.
There will always be woodworkers.
Cost of living really impacts what people can spend.
Plus the cost of decent woods has gone crazy.
So, what do you do ?
Make less, make better. Things that are both useful and beautiful !

I agree @Bristol_Rob

There also seems to be "money off" and "sale" offers around - Axminster doing 10% off on UK made goods in celebration of the Lionesses winning the Euros being an example.

Hopefully those who took up woodwork during the pandemic will have got the bug and stuck at it ... I'd hazard a guess that some won't though and that could have an impact on the second hand market as they sell on the stock of LN, Veritas, Clifton etc that disappeared.

'd hazard a guess that some won't though and that could have an impact on the second hand market as they sell on the stock of LN, Veritas, Clifton etc that disappeared.
Im not sure many that have just taken up woodworking as a hobby to fill in time during the pandemic would be splashing out £350-500 on a single hand plane

Easy test - look at Ebay.
No bids on this and 8 minutes to go! (not mine I hasten to add)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255646903489?hash=item3b85be2cc1:g:RgoAAOSw-NRigjUB
8 minutes later not sold. Looked like the perfect restoration job of a nice old plane, at a reasonable price. I was tempted!
I'm selling up lock stock and barrel over the coming year, but its nothing to do with the times, more old age and decrepitude.

Last edited:
Im not sure many that have just taken up woodworking as a hobby to fill in time during the pandemic would be splashing out £350-500 on a single hand plane
While not based on a statistically significant sample size (i.e. consisting of people I know!) at least one did. A neighbour proudly told me he'd taken up woodworking and his first purchase was a LN no6 that he got shipped in from Germany in Spring 2020. He complained it didn't work straight out of the box - turned out he was planing against the grain with a heavy cut. By the summer he'd bought a bike. I've yet to see his first woodworking output and he must go out on his bike in the dead of night as after the first week he's never been seen on it!

The pandemic led to some crazy behaviour.

Easy test - look at Ebay.
No bids on this and 8 minutes to go! (not mine I hasten to add)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255646903489?hash=item3b85be2cc1:g:RgoAAOSw-NRigjUB
8 minutes later not sold. Looked like the perfect restoration job of a nice old plane, at a reasonable price. I was tempted!
I'm selling up lock stock and barrel over the coming year, but its nothing to do with the times, more old age and decrepitude.
Expensive for a plane in that condition - that's why it didn't sell.

Depends on the person, doesn't it? I know people who spent thousands on bikes, Pelaton machines, computers etc. There are plenty of people, especially older people, with plenty of disposable income for a new hobby. One only has to go to a golf shop to see all the newbie 40+ people droppings thousands on new golf bats.

30 years ago the big frenzy was about routers, not expensive planes. A lot of beginners assumed that they were the be all and end all. They would be very disappointed!

One only has to go to a golf shop to see all the newbie 40+ people droppings thousands on new golf bats.
That reminds me of when i was buying my new table saw many years ago - the dealer helped me reconcile myself to the outlay by saying “it‘s only what some people spend on golf club membership” which was true.

I don't play golf, but have used this rationale for all subsequent purchases - I could have got quite good at golf with the amount I have spent now…

Cheers

I do not know about other manufacturers, but Lie Nielsen tools are permanently out of stock in continental Europe. Maybe they deliver some items to the UK.

Latest posts

Back