Inside Corner for a Office Desk top (or kitchen worktop)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I want to make a desktop from solid wood (ash) for a home office. The desk will sit in an L shape, so will have a 90 degree joint - which would suit a masons mitre.
However, I do not want a 90 degree inside corner, rather a radius so that there is a curve from one section of the desktop to the piece 90 degrees to it.
The only way I can think of doing this is to join the peices at 90 degrees with dominos, and then separately make a quadrant and attach this later?

Anyone over encounter this before?

Thanks

How are you making up the 2 legs of the L? If you jointing several boards together to get your required width, you could add extra material at the inside corner to enable the cutting of your curve.
There are many ways of joining the mitre (I used biscuits) but if you have a domino machine, use that.
Brian

at one end of the L, there's a cabinet underneath to support, the same at the other end of L that's 90 degrees to it. It will also be cantilevered from both walls. I have crudely drawn a plan view, where the black arc is the radius I am trying to achieve

Attachments

• dsk_corner.jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 0
at one end of the L, there's a cabinet underneath to support, the same at the other end of L that's 90 degrees to it. It will also be cantilevered from both walls. I have crudely drawn a plan view, where the black arc is the radius I am trying to achieve
That's how I imagined it. Will you be building up from several boards?

Yes, exactly. I will need probably three boards to get the width of 2ft. Thickness of 1.5"

Don't know if this will give you any inspiration but Keith Brown did something similar.

Yes, exactly. I will need probably three boards to get the width of 2ft. Thickness of 1.5"
If the 2 legs are of different widths as your sketch suggests, or is that artistic license, the mitre will not be at 45deg which might look a bit awkward as it comes out on the curved edge.
Brian

Hi All

I want to make a desktop from solid wood (ash) for a home office. The desk will sit in an L shape, so will have a 90 degree joint - which would suit a masons mitre.
However, I do not want a 90 degree inside corner, rather a radius so that there is a curve from one section of the desktop to the piece 90 degrees to it.
The only way I can think of doing this is to join the peices at 90 degrees with dominos, and then separately make a quadrant and attach this later?

Anyone over encounter this before?

Thanks
I'm currently building a similar corner desk. My design is just a butt joint from the long section to the short section. My wife looked at the design and asked what I was doing in the corner. It seemed nothing was the wrong answer. I'm toying with something like the sketch below, with brackets inset under a curved piece. Still undecided if it's required, so expect I'll make a mockup and see if it looks like the terrible after thought that I expect, then make a decision.
76BEE751-77E3-4454-86B9-DD5EA9468DCD.jpeg

If the 2 legs are of different widths as your sketch suggests, or is that artistic license, the mitre will not be at 45deg which might look a bit awkward as it comes out on the curved edge.
Brian
Apologies, the widths are supposed to be identical.

I started to model this in Sketchup this evening. Encountered another issue. I will need to make in two parts and attach them in the room. Not entirely sure how I will actually get the two 'legs' to join (had dominos in mind, for alignment) given that I am constrained by walls and won't have room to manoeuvre one top into place if dominos are protruding! I have attached a better drawing.
plan_fillet.jpg

Your arrangement is very similar to the the one I made, ie, constrained at 2 ends. My MDF desktop was split into 3 sections, but my methodology would work for your 2 sections. My problem included out of square walls. My 3 sections used biscuits for alignment and these clamps on the underside for pulling them together. I needed some wiggle room to allow the biscuits to engage. My solution was to chip away at the plaster to form a channel for the desktop to protrude into. After assembly and fixing into place, the plaster was made good. This meant that the overall dimensions had to be slightly oversize compared with the walls, but with enough clearance in the channel to engage the biscuits. That would have been at least 10mm for a no.20 biscuit.
Brian

Attachments

• P1050838.JPG
    P1050838.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Your arrangement is very similar to the the one I made, ie, constrained at 2 ends. My MDF desktop was split into 3 sections, but my methodology would work for your 2 sections. My problem included out of square walls. My 3 sections used biscuits for alignment and these clamps on thee underside for pulling them together. I needed some wiggle room to allow the biscuits to engage. My solution was to chip away at the plaster to form a channel for the desktop to protrude into. After assembly and fixing into place, the plaster was made good. This meant that the overall dimensions had to be slightly oversize compared with the walls, but with enough clearance in the channel to engage the biscuits. That would have been at least 10mm for a no.20 biscuit.
Brian
And a fine job you did sir! Great work!

I started to model this in Sketchup this evening. Encountered another issue. I will need to make in two parts and attach them in the room. Not entirely sure how I will actually get the two 'legs' to join (had dominos in mind, for alignment) given that I am constrained by walls and won't have room to manoeuvre one top into place if dominos are protruding! I have attached a better drawing. View attachment 150881
If this is to scale it looks like you could position it in one piece. Lifting the lower end (in the drawing) up and closing the door should give plenty of room to get past the bit of wall sticking out.

Last edited:
It could be a heavy lift, each 'leg' of the top is 600mm wide and c.35mm thick solid ash

Latest posts

Back