Is a multi function workshop a flying submarine?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you come across the vids on YouTube for flip top units for tools and ways to either build as separate units or combine in to a workbench? Certainly space savers and something I'm working on myself. Cost of living and the horrendous prices of timber and sheet materials have held me back - plus the *overthinking* on how I can best use such units to fit *my* needs.

You say the office bit will only be used e.g. one day a week. That's not the important bit. How many hours at a stretch makes the difference. You need to take care with ergonomics, monitor position, chair, keyboard height etc. if you are going to be sitting there much over 2 hours, even if only once a week, it makes a huge difference to your health.

It looks to be a great space and comprehensive plan, but dust may be your enemy for the uses you plan. Even with good extraction and possibly general filtration it is likely to get into your computer, keyboard, air vents and so on. Plus you plan to exercise which will mean deep breathing in a potentially dusty space. The suggestion of gazebo or outside space for some jobs is a good one but you won't do everything outdoors especially in winter.

Fastidious cleaning helps but maybe think in advance about how you will store office kit, clean surfaces before you use it, and keep dust out of you when you are leaping around in a lather.

Have you come across the vids on YouTube for flip top units for tools and ways to either build as separate units or combine in to a workbench? Certainly space savers and something I'm working on myself. Cost of living and the horrendous prices of timber and sheet materials have held me back - plus the *overthinking* on how I can best use such units to fit *my* needs.
Yeah I've seen those flip tops, I'm interested in them but might be one for later rather than straight away. Good luck with the over thinking 👍

You say the office bit will only be used e.g. one day a week. That's not the important bit. How many hours at a stretch makes the difference. You need to take care with ergonomics, monitor position, chair, keyboard height etc. if you are going to be sitting there much over 2 hours, even if only once a week, it makes a huge difference to your health.

It looks to be a great space and comprehensive plan, but dust may be your enemy for the uses you plan. Even with good extraction and possibly general filtration it is likely to get into your computer, keyboard, air vents and so on. Plus you plan to exercise which will mean deep breathing in a potentially dusty space. The suggestion of gazebo or outside space for some jobs is a good one but you won't do everything outdoors especially in winter.

Fastidious cleaning helps but maybe think in advance about how you will store office kit, clean surfaces before you use it, and keep dust out of you when you are leaping around in a lather.
Good advice. I should get the right desk height, not sure what that is and if it can be same as the Benchs

Good advice. I should get the right desk height, not sure what that is and if it can be same as the Benchs
If you are sitting at a desk it will be lower than a bench that you would stand at. The standard desk height appears to be about 710 (but should suit you if you are building it). If you were to choose a bench height of 825 you could cover the desk with ply supported at this level so it could be used in conjunction with the bench. that would leave a gap of about 97mm (assuming 18mm ply). If your laptop could fit inside a dust proof box that would fit in this gap it would be protected whilst not in use.

I could jack up the chair and use a foot rest maybe.... 🙂

Could do.

But then you have to have a place to store the foot rest and laptop.
You would also be relying on having an office chair that you could jack up.

With a conventional desk height you can use any chair that is comfortable for the time you spend in it. The laptop is stored where you use it. The only thing under the desk is the chair so you could use it for storage.

I have never built a desk and am currently building my first bench so others may have better ideas.

Since a desk is often used to support a keyboard, a relationship evolves between floor, chair, desk and keyboard heights. Assume the floor as the datum. Chair seat height is next, and might relate to your leg length (feet flat on floor when seated, or might the chair be higher & have a footrest?). With arms at your sides, a good desktop height could be level with your elbows ... so that your forearms are more or less level.

Of course we often adapt to imperfect circumstances ...

as I see it the desk space kinda wrecks it all.....
think about a fold down front to a cupboard on the wall...nice n clean for the electricals ...bit like those antique writing slopes on the antiq road show....
the lower 1/2 of the floor cupboard could be used to house a small vac system/compressor.....
u def need another water proof lean-to.....plastic roof sheets will give u light....or some kinda tent like structure....
plenty of plants out there to grow up it ..... .
as discussed more sockets I have and use the pull out/retractable sort that mount to a wall or ceiling....mine came from Lidils....
the air one was 25euro's....
best thing about ur space is that it's light and u have a great easy to cean floor already.....
apart from ur work bench/saw horses, everything must be on wheels.....
I have a little more room and much heavier equip so I use a pallet truck....one of my work benches has an 8mmx8x4 sheet of mild steel plate on top....
lastly from me make sure u got music......dont worry about water, it's nice to get back into the kitchen for a coffee....
my wife is my best friend and she's always available to help plus I'm happy to see her when she turns up....she also works with me in our w/shop.......many a pleasant hour spent with cake n tea....
have a great time in there esp with the kids.....

I would try and keep your workspace as close to the door and fresh air as possible.

Keep sawing planing and sanding operations away is going to be the challenge. Do them outdoors if at all possible.

Perhaps do your cutting before evening time and retreat to the shed t make up what you have cut??

Since a desk is often used to support a keyboard, a relationship evolves between floor, chair, desk and keyboard heights. Assume the floor as the datum. Chair seat height is next, and might relate to your leg length (feet flat on floor when seated, or might the chair be higher & have a footrest?). With arms at your sides, a good desktop height could be level with your elbows ... so that your forearms are more or less level.

Of course we often adapt to imperfect circumstances ...
that's a nice simple way of setting desk height, and makes total sense!

nice to see your little one in pic 2 doing the traditional way of design ie work it out on the back of a fag packet:) (well its what it looks like even though it probably isnt)

Just a thought on the fold up table against the wall.

I built a new computer table and the design lends itself to hinges to fold up against the wall with the legs also folding in.

The legs at an angle was to keep the floor clutter free and easier to clean (read vacuum).

Here is a link Fold up table

I'm not dissimilar in workshop size to yourself(3mx3.5m) and im intending to put two steel drawer work units back to back in about the center of the room, or a bit offset, depending on what machine sits where.
These 2 units back to back give me an area of 36"x35", and by removing their wheels, I can drop the height, make them far more stable, and construct an mft on top, the added height of the mft and the dropping of height by taking the wheels off give me a comfortable working height.
Somehow I have to fit - 10" cast tablesaw,bandsaw,c/c mitre,pillar drill,morticer,bobbin sander, drum sander and dust extractors, as well as the centralized bench, and all the power tools of which are numerous into the space.
(Might forgo the tablesaw actually and rely on bandsaw and rail saw)

Be nice to see your finished design, should these things every really get finished :LOL:

Last edited:
You want things 'perfect' That is where you are going wrong. What you want the space to do. will always result in compromising somewhere. IE not 'perfect' for all of the applications. Once you get that into your head. you may be able to progress

@Molynoox what does it look like now? Does it now have a large accumulation of stuff? My thought when looking at the pictures was “where is all the stuff?”, you know off cuts of wood, handtools, boxes of screws, sandpaper….
Hi Paul,

its looking quite different now but still not yet mature - I'm letting it evolve a little organically now.
I've started using the space more now, for both woodworking and exercising, which is so far working pretty well, but there are a few things that need addressing. Here are some pictures:
IMG_20230729_122713.jpg

IMG_20230729_122737.jpg

IMG_20230729_122748.jpg

IMG_20230729_122802.jpg

I have an MFT table, which I quite like, but I tend to use my rail square 90% of the time as I often seem to be cutting plywood, probably because I've been making benches lately.

Everything is on wheels which is defo. the way to go, especically for my setup because my two benches are the infeed and outfeed for my mitre saw, and also double up as track saw cutting stations or assembly tables or one large assembly table.

I am thinking of having another of those wheeled tables but priority right now is getting things off the floor - the reason being because that is getting in the way of me being able to wheel things around and clean up or reconfigure the space when I use it. So next priority is shelves or something, maybe racks for wood; the wood is starting to build up a little and its getting in the way.

Clamp storage is also a priority, currently they are attached to my MFT bench:
IMG_20230729_122815.jpg

Wood is hanging around under my woodworking bench:
IMG_20230729_122923.jpg

but also on the floor now, so that needs sorting out.

My latest project is a cutting board:
IMG_20230729_122904.jpg

I'm going to put some curved inlays in it (is that the right word?) - the little piece of wood in the picture is a bit of a prototype

I've also put french cleats on the wall now, which I like a lot. I illuminated them from behind thinking it would look cool but it didn't really throw off enough light, so a bit of a failed experiment, but I'm glad I tried it:
IMG_20230423_203750.jpg

IMG_20230423_204536.jpg

Martin

I'm not dissimilar in workshop size to yourself(3mx3.5m) and im intending to put two steel drawer work units back to back in about the center of the room, or a bit offset, depending on what machine sits where.
These 2 units back to back give me an area of 36"x35", and by removing their wheels, I can drop the height, make them far more stable, and construct an mft on top, the added height of the mft and the dropping of height by taking the wheels off give me a comfortable working height.
Somehow I have to fit - 10" cast tablesaw,bandsaw,c/c mitre,pillar drill,morticer,bobbin sander, drum sander and dust extractors, as well as the centralized bench, and all the power tools of which are numerous into the space.
(Might forgo the tablesaw actually and rely on bandsaw and rail saw)

Be nice to see your finished design, should these things every really get finished :LOL:
Hi Triton,

that's interesting - are you worried you might regret taking the wheels off in the long run?
I still find myself moving stuff around a lot so not feeling like I want to have anything fixed just yet. Ive experimented with a table in the middle of the room and it works pretty well, but I still find myself pushing things to side of room at end of the day, I might exercise in there the next day so like it to be ready.

With regards to the table saw / track saw dilemma, I think for now personally I'm sticking with track saw only, but I do certainly see some benefits to table saw over track saw - it's just a case of balancing out the cost and space taken up against the added functions it gives. My biggest issue at moment is being able to prep material (particularly for jointing) without owning a jointer, table saw or thicknesser - I'm thinking of making a router sled to help with that. The other option is just buying PAR then I shouldn't need to prep it in theory.

Martin

Hi Paul,

its looking quite different now but still not yet mature - I'm letting it evolve a little organically now.
I've started using the space more now, for both woodworking and exercising, which is so far working pretty well, but there are a few things that need addressing. Here are some pictures:
View attachment 163579
View attachment 163580
View attachment 163581
View attachment 163582

I have an MFT table, which I quite like, but I tend to use my rail square 90% of the time as I often seem to be cutting plywood, probably because I've been making benches lately.

Everything is on wheels which is defo. the way to go, especically for my setup because my two benches are the infeed and outfeed for my mitre saw, and also double up as track saw cutting stations or assembly tables or one large assembly table.

I am thinking of having another of those wheeled tables but priority right now is getting things off the floor - the reason being because that is getting in the way of me being able to wheel things around and clean up or reconfigure the space when I use it. So next priority is shelves or something, maybe racks for wood; the wood is starting to build up a little and its getting in the way.

Clamp storage is also a priority, currently they are attached to my MFT bench:
View attachment 163584

Wood is hanging around under my woodworking bench:
View attachment 163585
but also on the floor now, so that needs sorting out.

My latest project is a cutting board:
View attachment 163586

I'm going to put some curved inlays in it (is that the right word?) - the little piece of wood in the picture is a bit of a prototype

I've also put french cleats on the wall now, which I like a lot. I illuminated them from behind thinking it would look cool but it didn't really throw off enough light, so a bit of a failed experiment, but I'm glad I tried it:
View attachment 163587

View attachment 163588
Martin
Wow that looks amazing and still super tidy. The lighting makes for a very futuristic looking space. I love it!!

Wow that looks amazing and still super tidy. The lighting makes for a very futuristic looking space. I love it!!
thanks
I think the lighting divides the room, some like it, some don't. I'm not fully decided yet... I fancy getting some lamps dotted around to create some pockets of light, I'm not a fan of big overhead lights so that might be my next plan of attack.

Back