Info needed please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboy682

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all
I have not been on here for awhile, l am looking to buy a lathe some wear in the £400 to £500
and l am wanting some advice, 1st thing must be able to do spindle`s, so a copy lathe type, must be able to do large bowls, and be able to do pens as well.
so with all your brains can some one help me out please any advice will be welcome l no its a lot to ask
thanks

two factors you need to consider:
- size of physical lathe
- size of motor

length of lathe bed will dictate how long a spindle you can do
height of centre of the head over the bed will dictate how wide a bowl you can do (double the height)
if it has a headstock that rotates, or has an outboard option then you can turn a bowl away from the lathe and do larger bowls
motor size will determine what size wood you can drive

pretty much you will be able to do pens on any lathe
length of spindle need / size of bowl need will determine the other factors

so what length spindles?
what size bowls?

You could do a lot worse than a Myford ML8, different length beds, outside bowl turning so you won’t be restricted by the bed, and the motor you can change easily enough as any motor can be bolted (using U bolts/straps) to the separate motor plate underneath. And they come up fairly regularly in your price range
Best of luck Ian

wouldn't touch a clarke lathe - bought one once, got rid of it soon after!
Myford as above is a good choice in your price range - basically at that price you are either buying good old ones or rubbish new ones...

ref. motor size - spindles and pens are not an issue, it will come when you choose to use e.g. a bowl saver tool - when you will need a higher minimum hp motor

what do you think of this one on Ebay. Clarke Woodworker 37” wood lathe plus many accessories
Don't touch it

To do 900mm spindles your lathe will be at least 1200 long. I have a jet 1442 lathe that will turn a 14 inch bowl and a 42 inch spindle (without a chuck otherwise it's 38")
You could probably pick up an Axminster, Draper or charnwood clone of that one with all the accessories for £4-500 in decent order

If you are turning spindles, you have to be aware that some of them can be a lot longer. Especially on an open string staircase, where every other spindle will be longer.

Note, a lathe that can turn longer spindles won't be a copy lathe unless you specifically buy a dedicated copy lathe.
Not all lathes can take a copying attachment, and unless you are going to make a diy copier attachment, then they are not cheap accessories, and you need to make sure before hand that the lathe is suitable for the actual copier attachment you intend to get.

I also bought one once but would never sell it - - - - I couldn't be that nasty to anyone who was thinking of taking up the hobby! :ROFLMAO:

Myford as above is a good choice in your price range - basically at that price you are either buying good old ones or rubbish new ones...

ref. motor size - spindles and pens are not an issue, it will come when you choose to use e.g. a bowl saver tool - when you will need a higher minimum hp motor
With you all the way - that was my first lathe - second hand - not stable enough for spindle turning, although it will teach you tool control and buttock clenching at the same time!

l have been gifted free lathe! it is a T-mech one, never heard of it before but it as never been used still in box {the guy is moving to a flat} so he gave it me. as anybody heard of the T-mech?

l have been gifted free lathe! it is a T-mech one, never heard of it before but it as never been used still in box {the guy is moving to a flat} so he gave it me. as anybody heard of the T-mech?
Presume it's this one
- TMech 400W Wood Lathe with 6 FREE woodturning chisels | DIY at B&Q
About the most basic lathe available with several similar with different brand names. Don't spend any money trying to upgrade it.
If you have the 6 chisel set that comes with it, bin them (or keep them as basic carving chisels). In my opinion they are dangerous to use.
Get yourself a good second hand1/2" spindle gouge & a parting tool & possibly a bowl gouge to use as a spindle roughing gouge.
The headstock thread is M18, not a common thread, therefore I wouldn't bother with a chuck for this lathe unless one comes up really cheap.
Then you'll need something to sharpen your tools, normally a grinder & a jig to hold the gouges.
Joining you local wood turning club will give you an insight to the hobby & is a source of information & possibly cheap tools.

Latest posts

Back