Bought a lathe on a whim - advice need, please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
At the weekend, whilst my wife was away (!) I bought a second hand lathe on a whim. It came with a chuck but I realised I have no idea to to remove the chuck. I also can't see a faceplate ring so I'm not sure the best way to attach a bowl and at last try some turning. The lathe is a SIP 01936 but I can't see a name on the chuck and apparently the last owner bought it separately from the lathe but hadn't really used it.

Any advice on a way forward for a complete beginner (I had a lathe briefly 15 years ago but not for long and seem to have forgotten everything!!!).

Thanks

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_1532.jpeg
    IMG_1532.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1533.jpeg
    IMG_1533.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1534.jpeg
    IMG_1534.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
There should be a small rod which fits into one of the holes in side of chuck, lock the spindle and give a whack with something. If it resists as it may well if it's been there for a long time, find a steel bar 400mm+ long and clamp it in the jaws. Give that a wrench with the spindle locked and you should be good to go. Don't refit it without some form of washer between the chuck and the register.

Get yourself a copy of this - woodturning a foundation course - Google Search

the newer ones include a DVD.

Thanks - that did the trick. Just me being dense and forgetful. I guess I just need a faceplate ring now to actually do any turning....

The OP's chuck looks to be a Nova so should have two round bars with it. Just like the one the stuck on my lathe.:LOL:
You couldn't advise on the type of faceplate ring to buy could you so I can start some turning? Just had a look on the Axminster site and there are an array so not sure which I would need...

Ah obvious - sorry - thank you
You also need to make sure that if you buy a screw on faceplate the thread suits your headstock spindle. On the lathe info.plate it says that the spindle is 3/4 inch x 16tpi.
If you get a faceplate with any other configuration, it won’t fit.
If you buy a single faceplate ring, it won’t matter, as it simply locks in the chuck jaws. They are a bit fiddly to fix centrally to a blank.
D.

Last edited:
It looks like you have a small screw chuck on the bench under the middle of the lathe - if that fits securely in the jaws you could screw that into a small blank, bring the tailstock up and have a go while you are waiting for the faceplate…

At the weekend, whilst my wife was away (!) I bought a second hand lathe on a whim. It came with a chuck but I realised I have no idea to to remove the chuck. I also can't see a faceplate ring so I'm not sure the best way to attach a bowl and at last try some turning. The lathe is a SIP 01936 but I can't see a name on the chuck and apparently the last owner bought it separately from the lathe but hadn't really used it.

Any advice on a way forward for a complete beginner (I had a lathe briefly 15 years ago but not for long and seem to have forgotten everything!!!).

Thanks

Rob
You have done well - that is quite a nice little lathe, unlike some of the horrors that turn up second hand!

I don't see any tools with it. Have you gone for carbide or traditional? Both work, I would suggest traditional if you haven't already decided as they give more a better finish and more flexibility. More of a learning curve, but you nothing too bad. Have a look up about the difference between spindle and bowl tools though - quite dangerous to use spindle tools on cross grain.

Have fun - enjoy a world of sawdust and suddenly discovering endless gadgets you need!

I have two chucks and assorted jaws with a thread adaptor for the chucks that will fit the 3/4” thread on your lathe - they are just gathering dust in my workshop so if you want them PM me - they are quite heavy so unless you can pick up from Northants will need to post them - I don’t want anything for them.

Attachments

• IMG_4286.jpeg
    IMG_4286.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4287.jpeg
    IMG_4287.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4288.jpeg
    IMG_4288.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
If he doesn't take you up on that offer, may I? I would certainly be able to collect them, but at the very least let me contribute a bottle of your chosen tipple or similar :)

Last edited:
Back