Bought a lathe on a whim - advice need, please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Fergie, they are yours! Sorry Rob, but knowing I can get rid of them I have now filled the space with other stuff!!!
Sorry - was away for a couple of days so missed this!! Thanks for the thought though - much appreciated!!

You also need to make sure that if you buy a screw on faceplate the thread suits your headstock spindle. On the lathe info.plate it says that the spindle is 3/4 inch x 16tpi.
If you get a faceplate with any other configuration, it won’t fit.
If you buy a single faceplate ring, it won’t matter, as it simply locks in the chuck jaws. They are a bit fiddly to fix centrally to a blank.
D.
thanks!

I have two chucks and assorted jaws with a thread adaptor for the chucks that will fit the 3/4” thread on your lathe - they are just gathering dust in my workshop so if you want them PM me - they are quite heavy so unless you can pick up from Northants will need to post them - I don’t want anything for them.
I'm in east Northants so would have worked - thanks anyway!!

You have done well - that is quite a nice little lathe, unlike some of the horrors that turn up second hand!

I don't see any tools with it. Have you gone for carbide or traditional? Both work, I would suggest traditional if you haven't already decided as they give more a better finish and more flexibility. More of a learning curve, but you nothing too bad. Have a look up about the difference between spindle and bowl tools though - quite dangerous to use spindle tools on cross grain.

Have fun - enjoy a world of sawdust and suddenly discovering endless gadgets you need!
Thanks - it was £150 so I was happy with that. It came with some tools but fairly basic ones. I bought a Robert Corby bowl gouge this morning though.

You couldn't advise on the type of faceplate ring to buy could you so I can start some turning? Just had a look on the Axminster site and there are an array so not sure which I would need...
Just quick note, am also bery novice so cant offer much advice, however will say have several times talked to the guys at Axminster and asked advice and always found them to be very very helpful AND PATIENT
Good luck and happy turning
Annie

Latest posts

Back