I'm Off To Canada -- Now Back With Photos

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, with thanks to this very forum, I'm now off to Canada. I can't remember who it was exactly, but one of the members last year posted some amazing photo's from their trip to Canada, myself and SWMBO were so bowled over by those shots we decided to look into it, and booked our holiday last christmas, luckily it wasn't with XL!!

SO, today is the day that we go! Woohoo

I won't have as good photo's as the previous member (again, my apologies that I cant remember who it was) but I'll post some of our trip, and if I can find a cyber-cafe of some sort, I'll see if I can post anything from there

Just need to find a tool shop

Where are you going BB? My wife and I have visited Toronto several times, we were there in May. Even given serious thought to emigrating there.

Phil

I'm going to Banff which is in Alberta, I might have lee valley send some stuff to my hotel room as I couldn't find a tool shop, but I only briefly looked online. More importantly, I have no idea how I'm going to fit a jointer plane in my all ready full-to the brim luggage! :)

Well, I'm off in 10 mins, be back in a couple of weeks!

ByronBlack":729nzs9r said:
I'm going to Banff which is in Alberta, I might have lee valley send some stuff to my hotel room as I couldn't find a tool shop, but I only briefly looked online. More importantly, I have no idea how I'm going to fit a jointer plane in my all ready full-to the brim luggage! :)

Well, I'm off in 10 mins, be back in a couple of weeks!

Travelers?? Don`t bring clothes,stores over here already have some,probably cheaper too...don`t bring tooth brush,combs,or other stupid stuff its in the stores.If you can afford the flight,you should be able to afford the otherthings as well,just bring a bag to stuff your new tools in,no you do not need a bag either,they have them too here....1 money
2 ticket to go back home
3 tool money
4 Garmin to find tool shops or Tom Tom gps
I guess that sums it up,Oh camera for taking pictures of things you see,that you would like to make when you get back home....no they have those throw away cameras here too....just bring money.

Grinding One":3t962117 said:
.just bring money.

If you're an American tax payer (and I assume you are) I guess you're all gonna need some dosh after the chaos in the financial markets this week which (If I understood it correctly) the American tax payer is going to end up paying the bill for :eek:

Maybe you'll pick this one up somewhere Byron - try for Calgary or Edmonton (Calgary for the better time!) . . . Lee Valley stores in both and full of goodies- neither is that far from you in Canuck miles anyway :shock:

Ski a lot if the slopes are ready yet - party a lot either way, have a good time and don't mess with the Mounties!

Bush is taking care of everything,first no tax on the wealthy now bail out the wealthy that were gougeing the low income people and some mid -income who thought they could buy a house on food stamps....or 20,000.00 income a year.
A trillion dollar bail out- on the middle class & thats after he sent all the high paying jobs out of country,now theres no one working except min. wage jobs in the service industry`s.
But the tools are still cheap as the guys who bought them when they still had jobs are now forced to sell them to stay alive....and all of this after he started a war draining the tax base that much more....OK he didn`t start the war but he didn`t restrain himself much either,just was suppose to get the people who were responcilble for the 911 attack.
Hang on Pakistan the new president is going after him when he gets elected.Osama Bin Laden count your days if you are still alive.
They say next year we will be driving electric cars so we won`t be needing that much oil.

Hey, at least you didn't have a bloodless coup where your leader (who had his own faults but was a leader) was usurped by a Scot - who is now like a rabbit caught in the headlights

Hi Grinding One - I see you used to be a 'Lineman' an honourable proffession IMO and I spent a good part of my life as a telecom engineer.

I am horrified at the antics of these people on Wall Street (NY) and Thrognorton Street (LDN) who have been making millions by irresponsible lending and finacial 'wizadry' when what they should have been doing is acting prudently and in the interests of the millions of hard working 'normal' people who have deposited money with them.

But, as rightly said above, at least you can vote in a new leader in a few weeks, while those in the UK are stuck with Scotty Dog, he was not elected as Prime Minister (He took over when Tony Blair made a well timed exit :lol: ) but it looks like he'll in the job for some years to come :roll:

PS - I am temporaily living outside UK but still 'permantly' resident there.

Losos":3vjuimb8 said:
Hi Grinding One - I see you used to be a 'Lineman' an honourable proffession IMO and I spent a good part of my life as a telecom engineer.

I am horrified at the antics of these people on Wall Street (NY) and Thrognorton Street (LDN) who have been making millions by irresponsible lending and finacial 'wizadry' when what they should have been doing is acting prudently and in the interests of the millions of hard working 'normal' people who have deposited money with them.

But, as rightly said above, at least you can vote in a new leader in a few weeks, while those in the UK are stuck with Scotty Dog, he was not elected as Prime Minister (He took over when Tony Blair made a well timed exit :lol: ) but it looks like he'll in the job for some years to come :roll:

PS - I am temporaily living outside UK but still 'permantly' resident there.
Yeppers a lineman I was...Highest up on a wood pole 120 feet now thats a spring board while climbing it until you get some wire on it it will certainly will give you a nice ride while climbing.On steel 220 feet up and was energised to 345,000 volts .Bird on a wire maintainance ,broken strands of wire ,spacers...37 years climbing poles in all sorts of weather well my service came to an end in 2002.The younger crowd took over and didn`t need the old war horse anymore.Thats ok by me the people changed and it just wasn`t fun anymore.Not everyone can do that kind of work....first you can not be afraid of height,then you have to not be afraid of electricity...then you have to trust your legs to keep you up there and let go and grab some electricity,standing on wood with two nails into it about 1&1/2 inch long....was scary the first time.
Our motto was:We the willing lead by the unknowing are doing the impossible for the ungratful,we have done so much for so long with so little we are capable of doing anything with nothing.

Grinding One":18twit0u said:
Our motto was:We the willing lead by the unknowing are doing the impossible for the ungratful,we have done so much for so long with so little we are capable of doing anything with nothing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I guess you needed a motto like that when all the customers wanted was their power back on and couldn't give a dam what it took to get it :roll:

I had a lady that was real upset her Million dollar house was without power,I asked if it was OK for me to walk threw her garden to get to the pole? Oh sure I do not mind at all but could you hurry a bit my soaps will be on soon??I got her back in power and started to go back to the truck thru the garden and she started cussing me out in language I would never use...to get me out of her God *am garden.Some people...

Well, I got back yesterday, flights felt really long and boring, the two hour transfers were tedious! But the weather was fantastic. I've never hiked so many miles before in my life, but loved every bit of it.

I took in some tours and saw some great sites, hotel was total dung, but the holiday itself was so fantastic it didn't matter.

The gondola up Sulphur mountain was spectacular, and the service and general friendliness from the Canadians was brilliant (apart from a couple of stroppy french canadians on the plane).

Here are some pics:

Back