Nobody gives a .....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
Today's epistle is a sort-of follow up to my recent post "****ed Off".

It doesn't directly concern any of the earlier mentioned events, but is a continuation of sorts, dealing with today's "attitudes".

On Friday, we had a sewer burst just along the road from us. We've seen it before, and as my wife delicately describes it, it's like a "fountain of dung". (There's no poetry in the woman). Indeed, it all spits out of the ground, a good two foot high at times. It's on some waste ground, falling between house X and house Y, shall we say.
Like a good citizen - and actually forgetting the protocol last time - I reported it to Severn Trent.
"Not us, mate. We supply water. You want Yorkshire Water. They look after waste...."
Ah yes. How could I have forgotten. I rang them last time...never again. I'll report it online.....
What exactly is the problem? Where is it? Postcode? Have you reported this before? Can you provide a photo? Can you describe the manhole? You get the picture.
In case you're thinking the manhole description request was a joke, think again. They helpfully show photo's of different ones to assist you....small round, large round, small rectangle...even a triangular job. Seven, from memory.
Do they really think I'm going to plough ankle-deep through assorted richards and second-user toilet roll to find out what kind of manhole is overflowing?!
Well, yes. Yes, they do...
That was Saturday. I checked on their site this morning, entering the start of our local postcode. "No problems reported".

Not the clearest of photo's, but you'll see that the puddle now extends to about 20 yards. Just beyond the tree line, the ground steeply slips away to the main Sheffield to St.Pancras line, so there's every chance of the sewage gulping its way down to the tracks, maybe taking some landslip with it. Bon Voyage....

dung.jpg

Nobody's turned up yet. Mind you, the last time this happened, it took 4 days before any action was taken, and the remedial action of raking and covering the area with a load of dead leaves didn't apparently work.

We've also had some fly-tippers visit our local nature park over the weekend. It's called a nature park to save the council actually doing anything as far as I can see. Anyway, I contacted the Town Council about it this morning...
"The park itself is our concern, but not the lane leading to it. You need to report it to the District Council...."
Another bloody website form.
Who designs these?!
Can you describe the location with "What3words".
No. No, I bloody can't! I've given you the exact location.
Can you describe exactly what's been dumped (without going too near it as it might be dangerous!)
Did you actually witness the event?
And so on....

Is it all designed so that you don't "bother" anybody?!

Bummer all around. 🙄
I don't suppose the Department of Health would give a ----? You could tell them that you have gotten sick from it.

Pete

Try telling them you think there is oil or some industrial waste involved they sometimes get more interested than if it's good honest dung, a cynic might think they could be hoping to fine somebody, if asked to justify that you say it had rainbow colors which it will due to fats. Mind you this is Yorkshire water worse than even Severn Trent if that's possible, I've had the misfortune of working with both. Rumor has it that if their mummies and daddies were married it wasn't to each other.

Well, just to add a bit more confusion/misery, my boiler delivered an F22 error this morning, the second time in 8 days.
I'm used to it every fortnight or so, so that was a surprise as well!

Back to the sewage story again....
Just back from a dog walk, and guess what's happening at the mini roundabout over the road from the leak?
Yes, it's backed up even further!
We've now numerous assorted richards and toilet paper gathering around the island.
Lots of waste water, flowing down the road, which is presumably going to freeze overnight.....
Lovely.

roundabout.jpg

Now, should I contact Highways Department?

Nah....

Try the environment agency emergency number. Pollution to land or river, they may do something. 0800 80 70 60

....they mean well, I suppose.
Automated response.
shouldbe.JPG

They didn't turn up at all, needless to say, but I guess the reply ticks a box on somebody's spreadsheet somewhere.
This morning's rush hour traffic has spread it around nicely, so everybody gets a share!

Playing devil's advocate here, but our next door neighbour had a sewage leak on his farm a couple of weeks ago, called Wessex Water, they had someone on site that evening, and the following morning started clean up, and checked the downhill neighbour's pond.
I was pleasantly surprised.

It doesn't directly concern any of the earlier mentioned events, but is a continuation of sorts, dealing with today's "attitudes".

On Friday, we had a sewer burst just along the road from us. We've seen it before, and as my wife delicately describes it, it's like a "fountain of dung". (There's no poetry in the woman). Indeed, it all spits out of the ground, a good two foot high at times. It's on some waste ground, falling between house X and house Y, shall we say.
Like a good citizen - and actually forgetting the protocol last time - I reported it to Severn Trent.
"Not us, mate. We supply water. You want Yorkshire Water. They look after waste...."
Ah yes. How could I have forgotten. I rang them last time...never again. I'll report it online.....
What exactly is the problem? Where is it? Postcode? Have you reported this before? Can you provide a photo? Can you describe the manhole? You get the picture.
In case you're thinking the manhole description request was a joke, think again. They helpfully show photo's of different ones to assist you....small round, large round, small rectangle...even a triangular job. Seven, from memory.
Do they really think I'm going to plough ankle-deep through assorted richards and second-user toilet roll to find out what kind of manhole is overflowing?!
That was Saturday. I checked on their site this morning, entering the start of our local postcode. "No problems reported".

Not the clearest of photo's, but you'll see that the puddle now extends to about 20 yards. Just beyond the tree line, the ground steeply slips away to the main Sheffield to St.Pancras line, so there's every chance of the sewage gulping its way down to the tracks, maybe taking some landslip with it. Bon Voyage....

View attachment 151351

Nobody's turned up yet. Mind you, the last time this happened, it took 4 days before any action was taken, and the remedial action of raking and covering the area with a load of dead leaves didn't apparently work.

We've also had some fly-tippers visit our local nature park over the weekend. It's called a nature park to save the council actually doing anything as far as I can see. Anyway, I contacted the Town Council about it this morning...
"The park itself is our concern, but not the lane leading to it. You need to report it to the District Council...."
Who designs these?!
Can you describe exactly what's been dumped (without going too near it as it might be dangerous!)
And so on....

Who knows a nice Sewerage Plant may emerge from the ground in Spring hopefully pleasantly scented!

View attachment 151351

Who designs these?!
And so on....

I gave up contacting individual agencies and use FixMyStreet instead. Somehow that seems to get a better response from all concerned.

Well, just to add a bit more confusion/misery, my boiler delivered an F22 error this morning, the second time in 8 days.
I'm used to it every fortnight or so, so that was a surprise as well!
So if it does it regularly you will know what the problem is and how to fix it then? Its low water pressure, easy to top up and then find where it is leaking from at your (relative ) leisure

So if it does it regularly you will know what the problem is and how to fix it then? Its low water pressure, easy to top up and then find where it is leaking from at your (relative ) leisure
Yes...apparently it only needs a "cup full" to escape from minimum level and the F22 kicks in, so as you say, turn a couple of taps and Bob's yer uncle.
Have searched for a leak for a long time, but never managed to find one!
It's such a regular event I've even marked the expected date on the kitchen calendar, but it caught me out this time!

Back