I'm not having a good day

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
This is how my new Makita mitre saw arrived. Yes, the black knob at the top is broken. No idea what the rest of it is like but it is going back.

P1070876.jpg

P1070877.jpg

P1070878.jpg

Time to go to the pub.

Wow! that is one bad packaging,I suspect that this might of been a returns?

That cardboard is nowhere near adequate for such an heavy item.

That is what you can expect when it has fallen of the back of a truck

what..

you wanted it to be brand new

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly, it is rubbish when something like that happens, all the fighting with the supplier etc.

ps nice buy though - good luck on the exchange

I won't name the company (at the moment) as they are sorting it out. However they source from PTP = Power Tool something or other and they are the muppets who sent it out like this.

Thats a shame, bad news when things like that happen.

What model is it, is it the new one with the double extending bars? (MAKITA LSO714)

If it is, when you get a replacement could you post about it and let us know what you think. I am very tempted to buy one.

superunknown":11txitak said:
What model is it, is it the new one with the double extending bars? (MAKITA LSO714)

If it is, when you get a replacement could you post about it and let us know what you think. I am very tempted to buy one.

Yes it is...well, the L (as in laser ) version. No, that didn't swing it for me ! Will do. Andy King did a good review on it a while back in one of the magazines.

RogerS":18e579uu said:
However they source from PTP = Power Tool something or other and they are the muppets who sent it out like this.

Is that one of those companies that comes up with the lowest prices for power tools when you do a Google shopping search?

I nearly bought my LS1013 off them as they were a good £50 cheaper than D&M and all the others (until someone offered me a second-hand model for a lot less). Having seen what's arrived on your doorstep though, I'm quite relieved! I've bought things off eBay that've been packaged (slightly) better than this... :shock:

OK..time to name names.

Purchased from Tool Nation 26 June. Despatched by muppets at Power Tool Products and arrived trashed 29 June. Agreed re-delivery and collection for today. No sign of it. Rang up to check. 'Systems are down'. It might be out tomorrow. So cancelled the order. Then they rang back to say that it might be out today. They didn't know.

The word 'Tool' has another connotation.

So who to buy from now? Certainly I ain't going to get it before the weekend. :(

EDIT: Well, a quick trawl shows that no-one has it in stock. Delivery mid-week sometime - perhaps - maybe , Sir. Tried my local tool supplier. They can get me one for tomorrow - about £100 more than anyone else :shock:

Suddenly this has fallen into my 'can't be pineappled' bucket. Credit card safely put away.

Nice suggestion, thanks, Pete but, although I can live with the extra cost, the laser version has had good press. I had a SIP site saw with a laser and it was pretty naff. However, I just dragged the saw out of its' box (to discover more broken bits) to have a quick look at the laser line and it is very good. Thin, sharp and straight and so well worth the wait.

This is my frustration. I have been looking for a good quick way to cut lots of tenons and this was the best solution that I could come up with.

The laser is a gimmick and I don't care whether its on a top notch power tool especially on a SMS it interferes with the pencil line ie you can't see the pencil line.

I just use the teeth of the blade as the guide as to where to cut,faster and more reliable than the laser gimmick on my saw.

RussianRouter":2icc6f9j said:
The laser is a gimmick and I don't care whether its on a top notch power tool especially on a SMS it interferes with the pencil line ie you can't see the pencil line.

I just use the teeth of the blade as the guide as to where to cut,faster and more reliable than the laser gimmick on my saw.

I beg to differ and although I cannot speak for the Makita, I can certainly say that the factory fitted laser on the Dewalt DW718 is NOT a gimmick and does not interfere with the pencil line. And why would it. All you have to do is line the laser up with the pencil mark before you turn the machine on.
These generalisations where because you or anyone else finds fault with one or two products, you tar them all with the same brush is wrong, especially for a newbie who is on the look out for that product and reads the remark.

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":3vx6s41g said:
All you have to do is line the laser up with the pencil mark before you turn the machine on.
Mike

And all you have to do is exactly the same with the teeth on the blade,so therefore the laser is a toy/gimmick.

Nuff said.

RussianRouter":dflqj2fg said:
Mike.C":dflqj2fg said:
All you have to do is line the laser up with the pencil mark before you turn the machine on.
Mike

And all you have to do is exactly the same with the teeth on the blade,so therefore the laser is a toy/gimmick.

Nuff said.

So Dewalt supplies a laser with my saw and I don't use it because I can use the teeth :roll: Your entitled to your opinion, as I am mine, and I will continue to use my laser, while you continue to use your teeth :roll:

Cheers

Mike

I sometimes wish my saw had a laser line, as I reckon it would make life a bit easier when trying to set the saw for an angled cut that isn't given by one of the preset stops. Otherwise, you've got to try and 'roll' the blade along the wood until it's parallel to the line and keeping making test cuts, which always takes time.

Latest posts

Back