How to crosscut thick timber?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jasonB":149v4al0 said:
I thought pit saws were mostly used for rip cutting, two man crosscut would have been the way they were cut to length.

Watch this to see how its done, 20 secs is a good time :!: and thats a single man saw

http://www.stihl-timbersports.ch/movies/2006_06.wmv

Jason

Loved the video, but I suppose my comments could be valid if there were some curly bits in the grain :wink:

Yeah in my facetious comment I forgot we were talking crosscut.

You know that log cutter suggested in jest may not be such a crazy idea. You can certainly get cheaper ones, £150.........

That saw in the stihl video is rather good, I need one of them too, you lot keep finding me good tools which I need :D

york33":2nbtl4fb said:
It doesn't have to be perfectly neat, but straight and accurate is what I need.

I've looked at those Dewalt and B&D saws but not tried them. Have you tried them with this sort of cutting, how do they cope with such a thickness?

Regarding the chainsaw, also considered, but having never used one I was concerned the cut would be really rough? Not basing that on experience, just they look a bit vicious!?

thanks for your thoughts

A sharp chainsaw and a steady hand will give you a surprisingly clean cut and will munch through those sort of dimensions in seconds. I use and Oregon for cutting railway sleepers and have been impressed with the finish.

A sharp chainsaw and a steady hand will give you a surprisingly clean cut and will munch through those sort of dimensions in seconds. I use and Oregon for cutting railway sleepers and have been impressed with the finish.

Ollyk, you must be easily satisfied. :)

devonwoody":32z38yk0 said:

Ollyk, you must be easily satisfied. :)

Depends what you are planning on using the cut wood for.

I've ripped literally hunderds of feet 6-8" beams, mainly pine and spruce. I have used a portable circular saw, sawing from two sides and then either splitting the rest off or using a chainsaw for the rest. The pine I've been using is so dense (recycled stuff) that chainsaw is too slow by itself, but with the help of the kerfs made with the circular saw it's fairly quick.

My circular saw is a Hitachi with 80 mm cutting depth, so 5" stuff is easy, 6" almost splits by itself but 8" may split in the wrong direction, so I use the chainsaw to avoid wastage.

Pekka

As I have said as well as ollyK a sharp chainsaw will do it with ease, they use something similar in this video

Couldn't let you see the handsaw without linking to the topsaw :wink: competitors have to start the saw and make three cuts, again 20secs is a good time :!:

http://www.stihl-timbersports.ch/movies/2006_08.wmv

Jason

york33

You've said that you need to make these big cuts with some regularity.

Perhaps if you told us what you're making we might be able to give you more focused replies. :idea:

Pekka Huhta":7uf19p8w said:
I've ripped literally hunderds of feet 6-8" beams.....

Should've read better. It should have gone to the "sawing ash to planks thread :oops: :wink:

Well, things happen :D

Pekka

Latest posts

Back