How square is your square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bodgers":2gd2jmj7 said:
SMALMALEKI":2gd2jmj7 said:
RogerS":2gd2jmj7 said:
I could by the best square in the world. But I'd still not cut any better :cry:
Agreed. But with a out of line marking I would definitely cut off the square.
It depends on which way you were out, you could come back into square :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
There is mathematically only one line perpendicular to the point on the edge for cutting. Therefore there are 179 wrong cutting lines. Most likely is I got one of those.

Get a mitre trimmer. Then you can cut rough and trim to exact angle. BTW 90 degrees is also an angle!

All you need to set the mitre trimmer is an accurate square! :mrgreen:

Errmmm! (hammer)
John

I guess you could also argue that you don't really a need a square for setting up tools. Sometimes, depending on the tool, I find it much easier to just take multiple cuts (tweaking inbetween) and compare the results (flipped) on a straight edge.

Not the quickest method, and not repeatable, but I find this works better with tools that aren't so great (like my mitre saw and job site saw)

"How straight is your straight edge?"

John Brown":2bv2beog said:
"Therefore there are 179 wrong cutting lines."
This makes my brain hurt, as it suggests the degree is indivisible or something.

Thank you for correcting me. I re state it. They’re are unlimited wrong cuts but only one square possible.

SMALMALEKI":2ee6qt6h said:
John Brown":2ee6qt6h said:
This makes my brain hurt, as it suggests the degree is indivisible or something.

Thank you for correcting me. I re state it. They’re are unlimited wrong cuts but only one square possible.

Again - implying indivisibility.

All you can do is get closer and closer.

transatlantic":2i3kob9e said:
I guess you could also argue that you don't really a need a square for setting up tools. Sometimes, depending on the tool, I find it much easier to just take multiple cuts (tweaking inbetween) and compare the results (flipped) on a straight edge.

Not the quickest method, and not repeatable, but I find this works better with tools that aren't so great (like my mitre saw and job site saw)

"How straight is your straight edge?"

With shiny tools (Saws and chisels) it's possible to use reflection on the tool. You can SEE that the angle is right and tight! 'Woodworkers' eye'. Ok for building chicken runs! :mrgreen:

John (hammer)

transatlantic":378olcxi said:
SMALMALEKI":378olcxi said:
John Brown":378olcxi said:

Again - implying indivisibility.

All you can do is get closer and closer.

I think that mathematically, SMALMALEKI is correct - to say otherwise would be equivalent to asserting, for example, that there is no such thing as zero (identically) in the (uncountable) set of real numbers. Which would be a problem for mathematicians! Just saying, with apologies for any further brain hurt!
In practice you're right of course :)
Robin

Benchwayze":rc9nkzj0 said:

With shiny tools (Saws and chisels) it's possible to use reflection on the tool. You can SEE that the angle is right and tight!....
Er - doesn't work. Just one of those new woodworkers myths, an excuse to do a lot of polishing instead of actual woodwork! :lol:

Jacob":1f0x0c2i said:
Benchwayze":1f0x0c2i said:

With shiny tools (Saws and chisels) it's possible to use reflection on the tool. You can SEE that the angle is right and tight!....
Er - doesn't work. Just one of those new woodworkers myths, an excuse to do a lot of polishing instead of actual woodwork! :lol:

Firstly: I am not a 'new' woodworker. I started with a kids' tool kit in the mid 1940s. My first real lessons/training began in 1950. In 1954 I started in the trade, but then got lured by the RN at 15-1/2. Only to find myself eventually working in the shipwrights' shop! Just sweeping up; but it's surprising what you pick up with the gash! Enough to work in the trade when I demobbed in 1964.

Secondly: My tools are not overly shiny, and are certainly not all new. They are sharp, clean, flat where they need to be, and have enough reflectivity to be useful in that regard. Just a quick check before starting the cut.

And if I infer correctly, well yes, I accept I haven't done much over the last few years. Woodwork had to be 'back-burnered', for my wife's care. Fortunately I don't rely on woodwork to pay the bills.

It seems the only myth Jacob is the knowledge you profess to have on every subject under the currant-bun!

JW (hammer)

Jacob":flr432ok said:
Benchwayze":flr432ok said:

It does, it's just you cant do it. Neither can I

I've seen plenty of people doing it and its certainly not new. People were doing this mainy moons ago when I was doing my apprenticeship. In my opinion, its not an ideal way but (as mentioned) my inability probably makes me think that way. :D

Hi Saeid.
I never found the private message you said you left me. I don't know why but perhaps you could try again. I've been limping around the house lately due to an infected leg ulcer but it's clearing up now so I might be able to get into the shop for some more productive time.
Thanks again and I hope to see you soon.

John (hammer)

Benchwayze":10ybo88v said:
.....enough reflectivity to be useful in that regard. Just a quick check before starting the cut.....
It's true that it can work as a quick check. But you have to move your head around to check from different viewpoints. You'd be sawing with your head swinging about like a tortoise!
Impractical as a working method - much easier to follow marked lines.
It's another of those little myths which never quite go away even though nobody really finds them useful.
In case of doubt - I might just have a go this morning. I've tried it before but non of my saws are very reflective, to say the least!
scooby":10ybo88v said:
...It does, it's just you cant do it. Neither can I.... 
:lol: Neither can I (practically).

Here is the copy of it. I have to disclose it publicly.

Look forward to seeing you

Regards

Saeid

Hi John

I am sorry to have missed your reply. I am not sure why this message was not highlighted or how I missed it.

I have not confirmed the booking yet but will send you text once it is confirmed. I will try to sort the transport one way or the other.

I look forward to seeing you.

Best regards

Saeid

I agree that no square is truly square, but I bought my Insize squares online and they have been fine.

SMALMALEKI":13t8obw6 said:
Lucky you. I had two faulty ones. One is rattling.

Looks like you were using it in the screen shots you posted earlier to benchmark your Axminster square, so it can't be that bad!! ;)

Mine is perfect (as per my linked video) but as I say, I always seem to have good luck with cheap squares.

The QA on cheap stuff means you end up with this sort of consistency, but good ones do seem to exist.

Very good observation from you. I have to admit. It was on the table as I was testing it out at the same time.
I have two rubbish ones which can be used for kids to play with and leave mine alone. Although I have a reasonable one as well.

Back