How square is your square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug B":1l2mc9sb said:
SMALMALEKI":1l2mc9sb said:
Thank you for all the replies. I have learned a good deal from all of them. I now have bought two Starrett ( made in China) they passed the straight edge test.
I also made it to Axminster and returned the square. I teated few more squares of Axminster precision squares and they were all similar.
They kindly offered a good deal on BridgeCity square and now I have both cheap (£6) and midrange (£66) in my tool box.

Not that there’s any thing wrong with it but as you stipulated it with the Starrett, you now have 3 squares made in China
Ha, true enough.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Blimey. Amazed this has gone on so long. I'm (very much) an amateur woodworker but I find engineers' squares are more than good enough for woodworking - even the class ones B are good for one part in ten thousandish (if I've got my arithmetic right). If ever I thought I could saw to that accuracy I'd be thinking about a visit to SpecSavers...

I didn't know about the Bridge City offerings, but looking at the Axi site:

Bridge City design highly collectable tools that no one has thought of before

Don't know where to begin the the weirdness of that .

A tool should be as compelling when not in use as it is when serving its intended purpose

Really? How do I find my tools 'compelling' when not in use? That's a bit more tool rather than project centered. It's a mistake I've made myself I admit - get the fancy tools and become a woodworker. It's turned out more second hand planes, chisels, blisters, persistence and a long way to go.
For the miserly sum of £280 they offer a jig for making chopsticks. A gift for the Master Craftsman in your life! Cripes.
Good that the OP is sorted though.
Robin

Rorschach":1fu75bsf said:
He's talking rubbish, I wouldn't waste your time.

The same has been said of you more than once pal, so mind your manners, lest you be tarred with the same brush.

I'm quite inclined to go trawling through the forum to quote all the times you've been accused of "talking rubbish" over the years, and I have no doubt there will be enough to prove you a hypocrite.

Our opinions differ on that subject, fine, but to basically say in effect "nothing he says has any validity, so don't waste your time" is incredibly disrespectful. I'm certain if I knew more about your life there will be plenty of things about your viewpoints and lifestyle that myself (and others) could berate you for, none of us are perfect and you'd do well to remember that.

Put me on ignore if you desire, we'll prolly both be better off, but that's YOUR choice alone and one you have no rights to suggest to others based on your own opinions.

Regardless of what you think about my brexit views, and it's quite likely that I know more than you on the subject because of other people I know who've been very forthcoming in thier information and have been far closer to the action than most others here, you have no valid basis to write off EVERYTHING that I might post as "rubbish", because for the woodworking aspects of the forum I DO have some knowledge worth imparting on occasion, even if just to reinforce what another may have said before me - I've been on this forum for quite some time and despite what you might personally think of me, some of the wealth of knowledge I've learned here from the generosity of others has actually rubbed off.

But you keep being you rorshach, it's all you'll ever be.

Yet another reason why I come here less and less.

chaoticbob":tusr3y37 said:

They're pretty much solely riding on their old reputation these days, from the late 1990s to fairly recently they were quite innovative, unique and very high-quality small-batch tool manufacturers. The old tools are a bit of a collector's item now and I have seen some hand planes and drill braces reach the £1000+ mark on auction. There were a few things Bridge City did first like using A2 Irons and so on which other manufacturers picked up years later. Not sure what's happened recently but it seems to have fallen off the wagon a bit, they haven't really made anything of note for a long time and I have no idea why they're allowing a Chinese company to manufacture their old design square. Seems to be totally against what the company ethos was years ago.

Trevanion":3mzmrspc said:
chaoticbob":3mzmrspc said:

They're pretty much solely riding on their old reputation these days ... I have no idea why they're allowing a Chinese company to manufacture their old design square ...
I suspect money might have something to do with it. :D

Trevanion":3r9k5neh said:
Not sure what's happened recently but it seems to have fallen off the wagon a bit, they haven't really made anything of note for a long time and I have no idea why they're allowing a Chinese company to manufacture their old design square. Seems to be totally against what the company ethos was years ago.

I thought they were sold in their entirety to that Chinese company? Not all bad as they appear to be a fairly involved manufacturer and have introduced new design into the industry themselves.

rafezetter":1w4ffap0 said:
Rorschach":1w4ffap0 said:

The same has been said of you more than once pal, so mind your manners, lest you be tarred with the same brush.

I'm quite inclined to go trawling through the forum to quote all the times you've been accused of "talking rubbish" over the years, and I have no doubt there will be enough to prove you a hypocrite.

Our opinions differ on that subject, fine, but to basically say in effect "nothing he says has any validity, so don't waste your time" is incredibly disrespectful. I'm certain if I knew more about your life there will be plenty of things about your viewpoints and lifestyle that myself (and others) could berate you for, none of us are perfect and you'd do well to remember that.

Put me on ignore if you desire, we'll prolly both be better off, but that's YOUR choice alone and one you have no rights to suggest to others based on your own opinions.

Regardless of what you think about my brexit views, and it's quite likely that I know more than you on the subject because of other people I know who've been very forthcoming in thier information and have been far closer to the action than most others here, you have no valid basis to write off EVERYTHING that I might post as "rubbish", because for the woodworking aspects of the forum I DO have some knowledge worth imparting on occasion, even if just to reinforce what another may have said before me - I've been on this forum for quite some time and despite what you might personally think of me, some of the wealth of knowledge I've learned here from the generosity of others has actually rubbed off.

But you keep being you rorshach, it's all you'll ever be.

Ummmm I was agreeing with you.

Rorschach":lltb6nlp said:
rafezetter":lltb6nlp said:
Rorschach":lltb6nlp said:
The same has been said of you more than once pal, so mind your manners, lest you be tarred with the same brush....................................................................................................................................................But you keep being you rorshach, it's all you'll ever be.
Ummmm I was agreeing with you.
That was my assumption but wasn't too sure at first, thanks for the clarity Rorschach (I think). The irony and anger is strong in this thread.

As you were.

phil.p":3dwnblg0 said:
Chinese manufacturing? Rubbish? You get pretty much what you pay for.
I posted this yesterday on another thread - scroll down for the two that play -
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/metal ... perfectly/

I've said this for a long time. You pay good money you good parts. Chinese factories are the most advanced in the world, but they are also happy to make parts for pennies with no QC as well, all depends what you ask for.

Rorschach":3k4ik7n5 said:
phil.p":3k4ik7n5 said:
Chinese manufacturing? Rubbish? You get pretty much what you pay for.
I posted this yesterday on another thread - scroll down for the two that play -
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/metal ... perfectly/

I've said this for a long time. You pay good money you good parts. Chinese factories are the most advanced in the world, but they are also happy to make parts for pennies with no QC as well, all depends what you ask for.

Exactly. It doesn't matter where it's made, China or England. What matters is how it's been asked to be manufacturered ... i.e to what budget.

Found they have a web page as well; http://www.jingdiao.com/en/ seems they do a line of high end 5 axis and CNC machining centres.
I work with a fair number of UK manufacturing firms that have over the years farmed out elements of their production to the far east, predominantly China. In recent times I have generally seen this often go one of two ways; either the UK firm eventually repatriates the work or they send out / hire someone to physically represent the business within the the actual manufacturing plant. The main reason for this is that whilst initial quality is per agreed parameters, it will often over time decrease as the contract develops. This doesn't always pan out this way but it happens enough for it to be common in my own experience.
The ability of Chinese manufacturing to deliver high end precision products, initial setup and retooling is phenomenal and I have also seen an increase in UK business buying more Chinese high end tooling for manufacturing in the UK. The main historical issue that has been a barrier for more take of this tooling has been the support side of things but this is changing too (although less so with the EU politics going on right now).

SMALMALEKI":1465q9uk said:
RogerS":1465q9uk said:
I could by the best square in the world. But I'd still not cut any better :cry:
Agreed. But with a out of line marking I would definitely cut off the square.
It depends on which way you were out, you could come back into square :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Back