How many active turners remain in UKWorkshop ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Occasionally. There is a book called "Turning for furniture makers" that about sums me up. I turn when I need something for a piece of furniture or joinery. It is 20 years since I last turned a bowl or candlestick.

Still receiving & doing work but don’t do much hobby turning these days

444AE8AC-2747-489E-A59C-BEFF02869850.jpeg

I have a lathe and use it when I need to make fittings or repairs. I don't have time to make decorative turnings at present.

I do quite a bit. Mainly candlesticks and the odd bowl, plus things for my main job of furniture maker, and the occasional bit for a scientific instrument.

I also do a bit of turning from time to time for fittings and repairs, but the last "proper" turningjob I did was at Christmas when I made a set of chessmen. I now have a pile of cedar blocks from a fallen tree with the end grain sealed and will probably make a couple of bowls while they are still green.

Yes, still turning. Just had local engineer make up some very heavy duty support system for Mcnaughton bowl saver, and extra large toolrests for large scale stuff.

I do some turning when I have time. Wood and metal. Have to admit recently its been limited to making hammer handles for a couple of engineers hammers I broke.

Started about 8 years ago and still turn occasionally although I have been more involved with other woodwork projects.

I found that unless you try to turn it into a business, do craft fairs etc there is no money in it. There is a limit to the bowls and pens needed for the home or as gifts!

To be successful you need to be either (a) hugely creative, or (b) very quick, to charge decent prices. Lots do craft fairs but often quality is poor and prices barely cover material costs.

So now tend to turn where there is a specific purpose - quality of output takes precedence over speed and I then enjoy the process.

Been turning a bit for just over a year. On and off - some weeks house or garden jobs take over and still a bit fo freelance HR work. Some weeks its too cold or even too hot out in the garage/workshop. Its supposed to be fun right, not an endurance test. Mostly bowls, odd boxes, but lately been wandering into simple sculptural forms including a Hepworth inspired divided circle with patinated copper leaf. Casts interesting shadows on the wall where it normally lives.

No intention of being 'commercial' but I agree with Terry above, I can't see how many people can make real money out of it. I'm just pleased I can afford the time and a modest amount of cash to treat it as a hobby.

IMG_20200820_113403.jpg
IMG_20200820_113418.jpg

Last edited:
Been turning a bit for just over a year. On and off - some weeks house or garden jobs take over and still a bit fo freelance HR work. Some weeks its too cold or even too hot out in the garage/workshop. Its supposed to be fun right, not an endurance test. Mostly bowls, odd boxes, but lately been wandering into simple sculptural forms including a Hepworth inspired divided circle with patinated copper leaf. Casts interesting shadows on the wall where it normally lives.

No intention of being 'commercial' but I agree with Terry above, I can't see how many people can make real money out of it. I'm just pleased I can afford the time and a modest amount of cash to treat it as a hobby.

View attachment 90625View attachment 90626
That's different , I like it lots

My turning is in suspended animation at the moment. When space allows it will be back out and turning will resume.

Yes, but its much more general than the bowls and forms when I first got the lathe!

Last few things have been tiller handles for some canal boats and, current project, a somewhat complicated wine cooler stand (well I'm making it complicated anyway!).

Back