How good are Howdens kitchens?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or the builder was a business man, something you may well be wise to emulate, as the cost price product you supplied has actually lost you money by the time you factor in your running costs

You are correct, I'm certainly not a business man and my new years resolution is to start charging more.

The builder who fitted the kitchen might have been a business man but he was also a cowboy..........

The plinth was to replace one which he had butchered to make the dishwasher fit, looked like the dog had chewed it.

The kitchen had Oak worktops and his method of joining them in the corners was to butt them together and just screw an offcut of MDF underneath across the joint, no connector bolts, he said they weren't needed.

There are many other issues but the thing that bugs the customer the most is that the wall units above the oven are 15mm out of line with the units below so the splash back isn't central over the hob, looks terrible. He told them it was because it was an old house and the walls weren't straight...........he just hasn't set it out properly :rolleyes:

I installed a Howdens kitchen in my mum's house a couple of years ago. She chose them in preference to Wren, Magnet etc. The carcasses seemed nothing special, although it was great that they arrived pre-assembled and were accurately constructed. However, the hinges and drawer sliders were all very high quality, made by Blum. Howdens themselves were particularly helpful during the process and I would definitely use them again. I think prioritising the quality of the hardware versus the carcasses as Howdens have done seems sensible - it certainly makes for smooth and reliable fitting.

Our house was flooded recently and the kitchen damaged. It’s a top-end one from ‘DIY-Kitchens’ which I installed we are very impressed with.
The insurance assessor’s contractor for the repair work wants to replace it with a Howdens kitchen because that’s what all the trade uses.
I can’t say we are entirely convinced of the quality- ‘they feel rickety’ said my wife - but it’s hard to tell as they only have small showrooms with not much stuff.
Anyone got any thoughts?
DIY kitchens are far better than Howdens it’s your right to insist on the same products I’d get yourself a independent loss assessor and let them arrange things for you they won’t stand for any messing

We went for a Howden Kitchen last year - I opened a Trade Account with them ages ago and that really helped with the pricing - we remodelled our whole downstairs, everything from floors to ceilings and our builder and I did the installation. Took a while to work out how things fitted together but was easy after that. They have, from memory 3 “ranges” now and the most expensive stuff is a decent finish and build quality. Agree the demo kitchens are awful quality in the showrooms! Way better than wren/magnet and much cheaper than a bespoke handmade kitchen which I would have loved but couldn’t afford and don’t have the shop space to make myself. Bought the same granite elsewhere for half the price, made the island myself. I recommend them.

We have just fitted a large German Kitchen in our main kitchen and a smaller Howdens kitchen in our annexe.The quality of the German kitchen is far superior to the Howdens Kitchen. The build quality and material finishes are both better. The trade cost was not that different either I wish we had gone for German for both!
We looked at DIY kitchens I would say they were cheaper and better quality
Are you talking ‘German’ as in ‘made in Germany’ or is there a brand of that name?

Thanks for a lot of useful comments. To sum up - most say ‘they’re both decent and similar’. A few say DIYK are better. No one says Howdens are better. Howdens have local branches which is good.
Everyone hates Howdens opaque pricing.

Thanks for a lot of useful comments. To sum up - most say ‘they’re both decent and similar’. A few say DIYK are better. No one says Howdens are better. Howdens have local branches which is good.
Everyone hates Howdens opaque pricing.
Don't suppose you take meeting 'minutes' professionally do you? 😂👍

We were flooded out in 2014, Our Ikea units were replaced with Howden Units. They have survived well, some loosening of joints, easily fixed. Dishwasher not good quality, had to have engineer several times. Howdens replaced plumbing fitting free of charge easily after 9 years. If I was buying new I would go to Howdens for cabinets.

I've not watched this so take it with a pinch of salt. But it might help ?

Superb objective well-balanced, detailed review, highlighting the pros and cons of Howden, Wren, Wickes, DIY-Kitchens and Magnet. If anyone takes the trouble it view the video they’ll most likely conclude the DIY-Kitchens come out on top For quality, ease of installation, aesthetic appearance - even packaging.

The only downside is that at present, DIY=Kitchens only have one showroom in the North, but are planning another one at Oxford.

Surprised me that Wickes were the most expensive, and being flat-pack self-assembly, if paying an installer, the labour costs would be much higher too due to assembly time. As they’re flat-pack, unlike the others, they’re not dowelled and glued - they’re dowelled with cams so aren’t as rigid and robust.

Hi all,
Useful thread as I am looking to refit our utility room this year, I checked the video out, so helpful. However my question is a slight deviation from the original OPs. My existing units have solid oak doors which I intent to re-use as they are good quality. My question therefore is who makes/supplies the best carcases?
Most reviews focus on the overall quality of the units.

Hi all,
Useful thread as I am looking to refit our utility room this year, I checked the video out, so helpful. However my question is a slight deviation from the original OPs. My existing units have solid oak doors which I intent to re-use as they are good quality. My question therefore is who makes/supplies the best carcases?
Most reviews focus on the overall quality of the units.
You have to bear in mind that there is not a proper standardisation of cabinets and doors. Though the widths will be pretty consistent the heights of the doors, vary with each manufacturer. You also have to take into account that the hinge positions of your existing doors will not necessarily match if you buy cabinets from a different manufacturer

The quality of any units no matter who make them can be assessed by the thickness of the carcass, most good quality units have 18mm thick walls and base, below that is a compromise and cheap to make.

Howdens provide a complete service. Design deliver site visit chat spares all at the end of my road (literally!) It's way ahead of diy kitchens tbh. The cabinets are neither here nor there tbh. The whole service is better at a cost. As someone that occasionally uses them the problem is there far to free with selling to the public. Constant calls "I've brought a kitchen from howdens can you fit it"i get trade you know" guess what the money the trade may have made goes straight to howdens as they just apply much less discount. Also I increase my fitting cost or won't do it.

Anyone fix IKEA kitchens?
My bil just fitted one and it was really easy, but many kitchen fitters won't touch them he as told due to shallow service voids at back etc.

Howdens provide a complete service. Design deliver site visit chat spares all at the end of my road (literally!) It's way ahead of diy kitchens tbh. The cabinets are neither here nor there tbh. The whole service is better at a cost. As someone that occasionally uses them the problem is there far to free with selling to the public. Constant calls "I've brought a kitchen from howdens can you fit it"i get trade you know" guess what the money the trade may have made goes straight to howdens as they just apply much less discount. Also I increase my fitting cost or won't do it.
Agreed - I just do not understand why people do not fit their own kitchen units and subcontract the worktops out on a supply and fit basis.

Anyone fix IKEA kitchens?
My bil just fitted one and it was really easy, but many kitchen fitters won't touch them he as told due to shallow service voids at back etc.
We had a similar from our kitchen fitters.

It may be an issue, but not a barrier, if the existing water and waste is at the other side of the kitchen to the planned layout. In our case the dishwasher and sink were in precisely the same location as the existing water and waste. It would have been easy to cut a couple of holes in the backs to fit.

I suspect it is Howdens differentiating themselves from Ikea (who I thought good value). From a fitter viewpoint (and ultimately the customer) Howdens do have local branches with easy stock availability.

Our house was flooded recently and the kitchen damaged. It’s a top-end one from ‘DIY-Kitchens’ which I installed we are very impressed with.
The insurance assessor’s contractor for the repair work wants to replace it with a Howdens kitchen because that’s what all the trade uses.
I can’t say we are entirely convinced of the quality- ‘they feel rickety’ said my wife - but it’s hard to tell as they only have small showrooms with not much stuff.
Anyone got any thoughts?
They're ok, not bad and not great, more BHS than Saville Row though.

Back