How do I know if a quote for work is reasonable?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard a few stories lately of tradesmen seemingly over estimating how long it will take to do a job to make the price sound cheaper then doing the job in less time than they said but still wanting the agreed payment.

Decorators seem to be the worst, for example saying "It will probably take 3 days and will cost you £450". Customer thinks £150 a day is about right for a decorator so agrees the price. Decorator then finishes job in 2 days but still demands the £450 they agreed on as "that was the price for the job", the customer then feels cheated as they have ended up paying £225 a day for someone to do a bit of painting.........
This sounds like classic difference between a Quote and an Estimate. A quote being the actual price for the job. And, it pays for the tradesman to list what is actually being paid for here, so there can be no cause for disagreement. An Estimate, however is a ball-park figure and the final cost can be more or less than this.
I sounds like the decorator offered an Estimate, but treated it as i it were a Quote, at the end of the job.
Mind you , customers can be equally as guilty. offering the estimated sum on completion of the job, knowing that it has taken a lot longer to do, than was estimated for.

Payment is for what you know, not for what you do.Your knowledge, skills and experience underpins your technical abilities. You will be able to foresee problems before starting any work and then charge accordingly. Any agreed price should never be negotiable. Once a price for the job is agreed, it forms the basis of your contract. While it may be varied by mutual agreement between the parties, it is not usual to base one's business interests on the variability of your terms of business. Clients can either afford your price or they cannot. Those clients who cannot afford your services are in no position to dictate the terms of business which you apply to your work.

I agree 100% with most of those comments which is why except for rare occasions my price quoted was always in writing and clearly set out in terms of what was expected with one major exception, I would give anticipated duration of the work as an estimate only for the simple reason that there are always unseen factors. Usually sods law meant extra time with only the odd win situation.
As said the customer is paying for an end result with the job done to a good standard using quality materials which is a reason I also refused any work unless I provided materials as well. They are also paying for experience, knowledge and trust.

Don't forget that a genuine business also has overheads, insurance, pensions, tool replacement, vehicle costs, advertising etc and a typical small business owner spends many hours in the evening and weekends doing quotes, ordering materials and repairing equipment. They don't get paid doing the books, VAT and taxes, for sickness or holidays or the time spent viewing a prospective job many of which they may not get. They also in some cases have to chase payment and incur bad debt.

So, a perceived daily rate needs to be viewed realistically which isn't always the case by a customer in an employed job where he puts in his 9-5, gets a monthly salary and doesn't see the rest. It's also my experience that customers tend to hang over the workmen, mostly men asking advice or generally slowing them up and in the building and repair industry the comment, "while you're here can you just have a look at this" is more common than not.

All the above said, I had a very successful business with repeat customers many of who who became friends and am still asked to do work 7 years after retirement, in reply the second word is always "off". :ROFLMAO:

As an aside, the cost of waste disposal is through the roof, just try pricing a 4 or 8 yard skip hire these days, you'll get a shock.

As an aside, the cost of waste disposal is through the roof, just try pricing a 4 or 8 yard skip hire these days, you'll get a shock.

I recently finished manufacturing and installing a new kitchen for my mother & father in law.
The job was about 55miles from home and I needed to get a skip delivered to the house for the duration of the job.
My usual skip hire company (with whom I have a regular trade account), stated they dont deliver that far away from their home base.
So, I had to organise a delivery from a local company in the area of my inlaws.......It turned up 2 days later than I'd booked it for and the cost for a standard 8 yard skip was £330 😯😯😯......A damned site more than I would have normally paid to my local supplier.

Back