How do I get this off?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m taking out a shower which I want to reuse after retiling. It has a push on crimp fitting with teeth that won’t allow it to be pulled off. Now, does anyone know of a way of getting it off without trying to slip a blade behind it and cutting the pipe allowing me to push it off?
A541B2B9-FC2A-4028-8271-6943A3BA60B4.jpeg

That type of alligator jaw grip are not meant to be disassembled - as you pull the pipe up the angled tabs will just dig in harder..
Two options -
  1. Try inserting a shim of high density polythene sheet under the tabs - easing it under one by one until you have them all resting on it, and then with some force you should be able to twist the fitment out
  2. with a small screwdriver pry around 50% of them forming a large enough semicircle such that you relieve the pressure on the remaining tabs and can twist it out
Either way a fiddly job but eminently do-able without irreparably wrecking either part
/Ed

I might be inclined to cut a longitudinal slot in the copper pipe with a hack saw blade then crush the pipe enough to slip apart. Please note I am regularly accused of doing things the hard way!

I have a tool just for this purpose, electrical terminal screwdriver, bent the end, then use it to lever the the tabs up and wiggle it off, its not salvageable though, there should be an O ring behind it as well.

Seriously though, what's on the other side of the wall or is it buried ?
It’s buried into the wall. I need to get it off in order to remove glass slash panels around the shower. Yep, I do mean toughened glass panels and not the plastic splash panels which I thought they were. Change of trousers needed when I first discovered they were glass as I was prising one off with a crow bar😂

Simply make a disassembly tool to remove the locking ring, Aqualisa have been using this type of one way locking ring for years, a pipper to remove without a removal tool.

Simply make a disassembly tool to remove the locking ring, Aqualisa have been using this type of one way locking ring for years, a pipper to remove without a removal tool.
Good call, it is indeed an Aqualisa shower, I’m impressed. Do they make a removal tool?

Back