Home to roost

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobbs

Established Member
Reaction score
Not a particularly recent bit, I made this for my Mum's 80th and it's been with her ever since, but now she's coming home to stay with us, we got reunited, so I took some pics.
Lime, stainless steel and Polyphant stone. For scale, the stainless rod is 6mm diameter.

Attachments

• Classical boy 002.JPG
    Classical boy 002.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Classical boy 003.JPG
    Classical boy 003.JPG
  • Classical boy 004.JPG
    Classical boy 004.JPG
  • Classical boy 005.JPG
    Classical boy 005.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Not a particularly recent bit, I made this for my Mum's 80th and it's been with her ever since, but now she's coming home to stay with us, we got reunited, so I took some pics.
Lime, stainless steel and Polyphant stone. For scale, the stainless rod is 6mm diameter.
Wow. Beautiful.
Fred

Very nice!
I'd not heard of Polyphant stone before, although the name seemed familiar, so I googled it. Now, if course, I remember seeing the signposts down in Cornwall.

Very nice!
I'd not heard of Polyphant stone before, although the name seemed familiar, so I googled it. Now, if course, I remember seeing the signposts down in Cornwall.
I live a few miles form there. Silly thing is, you can no longer buy stone from the quarry - the chap who owns it apparently comes down a few times a year and gets some bit, takes them back up to Northampton (I think) and you have to buy from there. I got a good supply years ago when I took down a chimney on a local mansion, the entire thing built from the stuff, which was a mistake. It's a kind of soapstone, so perfect for carving, but shells badly if left outdoors. I've done one or two proper carvings from it and you can carve it with a spoon, it's so soft. Interestingly, it's got so much native iron in it that it'll hold a magnet. It use to be used a lot in church carvings, with one or two lovely fonts fairly local to me.
Ramble over!

Back