Help needed about inherited tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Chris - I gave it a quick test run once it was finished and I must say it is very nice to use! I'm looking forward to using it in anger :)

NeilCFD

Neil":2b870ycb said:
It is strangely addictive though, but does eat into the woodworking time a bit...
Whoops. Who put that slope there... :?

Nasty gluey residue. Hmm. Try the white spirit first, and if that doesn't work try meths (carefully). If neither of those work you might be best scraping down to bare wood and starting again. Probably stained beech handles, yep? So if you do have to refinish a bit of antique oak stain and a dash of mahogany for warmth makes for a lovely colour. Shellac, oil or wax to finish depending on personal preference. :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3smfc7od said:
Whoops. Who put that slope there...
I blame you entirely, Alf. No, come to think of it Chris, Adam, Tony and quite a few other forum members must take some responsibility too :lol: Already I have a L-N low-angle block plane high up on my wish list...no doubt a 4 1/2 will soon follow :roll:

Thanks for yet more excellent advice - I'll give it a go :)

NeilCFD

My Mum has been sorting through the garage and has found these goodies for me:
Tools_001.jpg

Any ideas about the items in top left corner, 2nd and 3rd items down? Bevel gauge at bottom right looks nice... Even some oilstones to keep Alf happy! :p Anything else look particularly interesting?

Sorry about small pic...

Cheers,
Neil

Hoping a Norris smoother is going to turn up... :-#

2nd item is an Archimedian drill, can be collectible. 3rd item looks like a pad saw, more common on your side of the pond than mine.
Some nice bits there for the brace.

Crumbs, you're a regular rust-magnet, Neil...

2nd down on the left is an Archimedean Drill. Uses a small V-shaped bit for drilling small holes in thin wood. Axminster still sell one. 3rd down is a pad saw (see here).

Then what appears to be a modern floorboard saw, a couple of promising-looking oil stones and two mallets which put my users to shame. Middle 2nd down is a wedge for splitting logs, below the green stubby screwdriver what looks like the side handle for a Stanley hand drill (so you're the one who has them all, eh...? :lol: ) and below that a push pin I think? Blah, blah, er, 4 "improved" centre bits which are handy, and at least one Jennings and one Irwin auger bit. Right hand side it looks like you have at least one nice gouge there? Boxwood carver handle? Might be beech perhaps... Some nice chisels/gouges there by the looks. Can't tell anything about the sliding bevel and the hand drill is bugging me 'cos I only saw one just like it at the weekend but I can't remember any details. #-o

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Roger, Alf :)

I only have this photo to go on at the moment, there is a big chunk of the Irish Sea between the tools and me! I'll ask my mum to take a couple of close-ups.

Alf":12naudl2 said:
Crumbs, you're a regular rust-magnet, Neil...
Yeah, I'm starting to worry... 8-[ :lol:

Cheers,
Neil

Neil":r2u8izip said:
Thanks Chris - I gave it a quick test run once it was finished and I must say it is very nice to use! I'm looking forward to using it in anger :)

NeilCFD

Hi Neil,

I have some tools I inherited, first from a great uncle and then some from my grandfather. I hated to see them pass away too. It is often with great fondness fueled by the wonderful memories that I use their tools.

I'm sure that there will be times when you too will sense the connection in a way none of use would if we used the same tools you inherited.

The #77A is destined, I'm sure, to be an oft used tool. I have the Preston version and there are tasks that I think could only be so easily accomplished by its use. Doesn't it just feel great in the hand?

Hi Mike,

Thank you - I think you are completely right about the connection.

The #077A has been used often since I started this post (Over a year ago! How did that happen?? :shock:) - as you say, it just feels great in the hand. It has such a good weight for its size. When using it, I like to think about the projects that my step-father would have used it on - its a very special tool to me.

Cheers,
Neil

Just to add, very late:

The Stanley #7 is an older model, indicated by the square corners on the blade.

DO be careful cleaning the Preston rule; Preston is highly collectible, and so are merchandising items. So the intersection set should be highly, highly collectible.

BugBear

Thanks for that, BB - I haven't got around to the Preston rule yet, I'll be very careful when I do.

Christmas every day at the moment - my Mum has moved on to the tools in the attic now, and has just sent more pics. I've marked a few things I'm not sure about with green arrows for you experts to peruse...sorry about the big post.

MoreTools_003.jpg

MoreTools_001.jpg

MoreTools_004.jpg

Cor!

Cheers,
Neil

You lucky devil - you must be chuffed to bits. That little plane is loverrly.

Adam

Ooh! Ooh! I know one! :p

Green arrow on the left is pointing to a honing guide, Stanley I believe? Don't know the number designation. Got one at home that came with a #271 router plane.

Edited to add:

Well, at least I think it is. :? Haven't a clue how to use the thing.
Oh, and I meant the green arrow on the left in the bottom picture.

Isn't top picture left arrow a saw set?

Wot Adam and Barry said. I can't remember the number of the honing guide either, but IIRC it's for plane blades. I think you use the slot through the blade to bolt it to the guide, and the arm gives you the correct projection. BB'll know for sure. Top left is indeed a Saw Wrest for setting saw teeth; slip the appropriate notch (depending on saw blade thickness) over the tooth and lever over to get the required set. Bit of a skilled job to get it even. That's a pliers type set I think, over on the right with the red handle. Next to that it looks like a Record #040 mini grooving plane? If it turns out to be marked #043 it's totally worthless and I'd be willing to dispose of it for you... BB remarks on it in passing here. The Marples #44 you seem to have some of, but not all. Looks like the blade clamp is AWOL for a start, but the one from the #040 might/should work. Evidentally you haven't read my plea concerning Marples plough planes on my website though... :cry: :roll:

Cheers, Alf

If it turns out to be marked #043 it's totally worthless and I'd be willing to dispose of it for you.

I can't tell wether you're joking. The earliest #043 WERE single rail, but Record very quickly added the second rail, and created the #40 as the cheaper version.

Hence (AFAIK) single rail #043's are rather rare and (you'd have to ask J. Horobin) collectible?

I do sometimes see Marples #040 and #043, Alice - want one next time I do?

BugBear

Thanks, everyone :)

Apparently it is a Record #040...well done, Alf, not a good picture to go on there! =D>

Alf":1ehe1v6i said:
Evidentally you haven't read my plea concerning Marples plough planes on my website though...
Sorry, Alf, I must admit that I missed that. Hope I haven't caused too much pain & suffering :p :lol:

BB, any idea about the honing guide on the first page of posts? Home-made job, maybe?

Cheers,
Neil

The top clamp bar is on upside down, unless of course you were going to hone a skew blade.

Rgds

Noel

BB, any idea about the honing guide on the first page of posts? Home-made job, maybe?

Alf was right - it's the common (and quite horrid) Stanley.

It's used by undoing and REMOVING the nut completely, putting the bolt though the slot in the iron, then putting the nut back on. The gauge is used to set the position of the guide on the iron.

It's a pain, and only usable with Bailey irons.

BugBear

bugbear":2e2qwd8p said:
I can't tell wether you're joking.
I was. Sorry, it's the deadpan expression; doesn't give anything away, does it? :D

Hence (AFAIK) single rail #043's are rather rare and (you'd have to ask J. Horobin) collectible?
So I believe. I wouldn't really have ripped Neil off, honest. Heck, I'm daft enough to point out highly collectable, and thus valuable, tools to people for no charge! ](*,)

I do sometimes see Marples #040 and #043, Alice - want one next time I do?
Ooo, you tempter, you. And here I was not having bought a plough or combi in almost a year too. Well, if you happened to see one, cheap like... :whistle: Ta muchly. :D Truly, I'm a hopeless case aren't I? I haven't even used the Record #044 yet... :oops: (Give me a "C", give me an "O", give me an "L", etc)

It's a pain, and only usable with Bailey irons.
On the other hand the narrow wheel makes cambering the blade easier I'd have thought? A subject close to my heart at the moment, as I trade cambering ability for accurate bevel angles with the MkII and go slowly insane as a result. :cry:

Cheers, Alf

Back