Hello and request for help with a Record 778

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsade

Reaction score
Hi Folks:

I've been lurking here for a little while, enjoying the expertise, friendly banter, and the odd names you have for things. :lol: I recognize a fair number of posters, mostly from this side of the world (West Virginia-USA), usually of folks who post on the US forums I visit. (That Alf sure does get around, though, doesn't she?) I've purchased a few things from MikeW the master sawmaker, so I think he'll vouch for me.

I'm a very part-time hobbyist sort of woodworker, whose slide down the hand tool slope has been steady and pretty quick of late. Most of my time is spent on my job (consumer advocate for our Public Service Commission-fighting with utilities to keep more $ in ratepayers' pockets), kids (although one has just flown the coop for college), and taking care of the limitless tasks that come with owning a house.

I've decided to pipe up now because I could use some help. I recently bought a Record 778 on ebay that came at a good price because it was missing the lever cap. I foolishly thought it wouldn't be too much trouble coming up with a replacement, but was I wrong. I've contacted all the British dealers I know of (Inchmartine, Murland, Trinders, etc.) but I haven't had much luck.

Can any of you give me an idea of a place to look? Better yet, anyone just happen to have a spare lying around that they'd be willing to part with? I'd be more than happy to pay any reasonable price and shipping costs. The version I picked up appears to be fairly new, although I wouldn't have a clue how to type this tool.

Thanks. I'll try to join in on any of those rare occasions that I actually have something useful to say.

Tony,

Welcome to the forum. :D

I am not sure were you will find the cap for your plane,:( however the Record 778 is nicer than the old Stanley 78 I have, twin fence rods stop the fence from twisting. :D
tsade":10vfxl0v said:
I'll try to join in on any of those rare occasions that I actually have something useful to say.
Well I don't always apply this rule. :oops: :roll:

tsade":c5fb0ei7 said:
I've contacted all the British dealers I know of (Inchmartine, Murland, Trinders, etc.) but I haven't had much luck.

Hi Tony,

Have you tried Irwin (who now own Record)? In the good old days Record were very good at supplying spares for all their tools - just possible :roll: that Irwin might have carried on this tradition :wink:

Paul

May not interest you....but you can make your own.....I've done that with a sargent version of the 78.......All a lever cap is a drilled hole filed with a slot, and another hole further down that you tap to take a thumbscrew or even just a bolt is fine. .....the rest of it you can shape freehand off the grinder.

or maybe just buy one.. :lol: Goodluck mate. I'd send you one, but I just used up my last on a 289.

Thanks for the welcomes and replies. I've sent an email off to Anant to see if they can supply the parts, per MikeW's suggestion. (Hi Mike!)

Cheers,

Paul Chapman":2v1n35c3 said:
Have you tried Irwin (who now own Record)? In the good old days Record were very good at supplying spares for all their tools - just possible :roll: that Irwin might have carried on this tradition :wink:
ROFLMAO

Back