Record Power BS350 bandsaw review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would have to be the 540kg one because of the base size of the BS3500

Regards

Michel

I solved the problem of moving my machines around buy buying a cheap pallet truck from Machine Mart.

It is an easy (one man) job to move just about anything now - just ease the machine away, slide the lip of the pallet truck under, lean the machine back a bit, and move it to wherever it has to go.

The truck cost less than one mobile base, and I can use it to move my P/T, my table saw, my bandsaw and my router table. (My lathe is bolted down to stop it chasing me around the shop when turning out-of-balance stuff!!!).

I don't suppose this would be a good scheme if you have very heavy machines with a lot of cast iron, but then you are unlikely to want to put them on a mobile base anyway.

Well done Taffy, that's the method I've been using for about 8 years now.All and I mean ALL machines are put on euro-pallets.This then allows us { shared workshop} to move machines around to suit the current envirioment.
Only increases machine table height by 5.75" but they are stable in use.
Only 1 machine did not like the set up and that was my "morty the mortiser" :oops: that happened only when using a lot of force on the downstroke, solved it by putting it on the ground.Now have back ache when using it. :x
all the best ppl, HS

Michel":1hxc5vnu said:
Hello Taffy Turner,

Are you sure you don't mean a sack truck, because i looked at the machine mart site and their cheapest pallet truck is about £160. :?

These are the sack trucks on the site: -

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/search.asp?q=sack+truck

Nice idea though :D

Cheers

Michel

Michel,

Oops! :oops:

Sorry - yes, I did mean a sack truck, not a pallet truck. We have been having a problem with a pallet truck at one of our customers, and I had been thinking about that when I wrote the post. :?

I must have had a (homer) moment!!! :shock:

Sorry for the confusion!

Gary

Some chap called Gidon":2wgxb3tk said:
The ones you linked to I think are made by Jet and I've seen some bad reviews of them in one of the w/working mags. You'd only need the 240kg one though - the BS350 is only 100kg odd.

To add to my previous post, here is a link to the said review:

http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker/toolguide/TT_MobileBase.pdf

I've just got myself one of the Axminster basesfor the BS350. Will let you know how I get on ... The instructions looks like they've been drawn with a 4" wide black marker!

Cheers

Gidon

Hello Gidon,

I have now ordered my BS350 from my local supplier, so it will be interesting to know your views as I will be looking for a mobile stand as well.

Regards :D

Michel

Michel,

That's stand at Rutlands looks good - much better than the HTC2000 - though bear in mind Rutlands appalling reputation with most people here if tempted to buy.

The HTC2000 is fine on smoothish surfaces (mine are under the T/S and P/T on a lino-covered smooth concrete cellar floor) but are absolutely rubbish on a rough surface such as the average UK concrete garage floor as the wheels and stablising feet are rather small and the screws holding the feet don't have enough length to be usefully adjustable. Although I have two of these stands, I probably would look for something better next time.

BA 350
Gideon, how did you get on with the blade guides?
I noted at the showroom this week that on the model displayed the guides were not square on to the blade.
I am awaiting delivery of the ba 350.

PitBull":2kgbrst7 said:
though bear in mind Rutlands appalling reputation with most people here if tempted to buy.

I really think that so-called reputation is turning into an overblown myth. I use them rarely on grounds of price, but have always had good service from them when I do. Not that I've had any problems to test their customer service, because the three or four deliveries have turned up quickly and have been perfect. I've had more issues with D&M Tools and Axminster, not all of which have been resolved to my complete satisfaction.

There was an issue about their charging credit cards when goods were out of stock, but last thing I heard someone said they'd changed that policy. Even if they haven't, all you need to know is they have that tendency and you can make it clear that you won't stand for it, and they can't. If they have, it would be bad if this site allowed a past practice to colour its collective view of Rutlands forever. It ain't cheap, but it isn't the devil.

Jake,

Given Rutland's reputation at the time of PB's posting - November last year - it was a fair comment. Lately we've not had an negative feedback on them because they appear to have improved things, but I don't think we're going to go down the route of editing history and pretending it was always like that. Not all of us have been as lucky as you...

Cheers, Alf

Alf":ihnjv62w said:
Jake,

Given Rutland's reputation at the time of PB's posting - November last year - it was a fair comment.

Ah, yes. I missed the date and assumed the thread was new. My bad.

Lately we've not had an negative feedback on them because they appear to have improved things, but I don't think we're going to go down the route of editing history and pretending it was always like that. Not all of us have been as lucky as you...

I'm not into editing history at all. Struggling to remember what history that might be, part of the bandsaw saga or something?

The most common complaint was the credit card thing, and that appears to have been resolved, I thought. It would be unfair if they changed that policy, but it remained part of the collective conciousness of this site that Rutlands were bad for that reason.

If there are other issues, I'd forgotten about them. If they've given rubbish service in the past when people have had issues, obviously my trouble-free transactions are irrelevant, and so is their change in credit card policy.

Back