Record Power BS350 bandsaw review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why 2/3 months?

That is a question that has been crossing my mind these last five weeks, since I placed my order with them*. It seems half of what I ordered was never in stock, and have since been told 'The delay will be anything up to seven weeks!'

The other half of my order, took four weeks to arrive! Even though one item was broken within the parcel. Upon communication with Rutland's it seems the broken item was also out of stock. After others had heard of my predicament, the cynical amongst them presumed this particular item was all they had on the shelves, and left Rutland's in the same broken state as I received it. Of course this is a preposterous suggestion. And if only for the good sake of harmony, should be dismissed at once!

What was even more alarming, was the fact that after waiting for the first week, I then thought it prudent to contact Rutland's concerning the seeming longevity of my items arriving. Well the kind lady at the other end assured me 'That the order had been sent, only the previous morning'
After listening to her reassuring words, I settled into what I thought was going to be a short and pleasant wait for my goods, although it has to be understood, anticipation was my constant companion, and tormented me relentlessly.

After waiting for what seemed an eternity, I once again took it upon myself to communicate with these kind people once again. This time ignorance reigned at Rutland's and all were at a total loss as to what had happened to my goods. It was eventually decided that the dastardly couriers were fully responsible, and scorn was instantly poured on them.

Anyway when I did eventually receive half my broken order, I was prudent enough to seek the couriers delivery note, which seemed to suggest that ANC the initial receivers from Rutland's, only acquired the parcel themselves four day's earlier.

The mathematicians amongst us can draw the conclusion that, three weeks prior when first being assured by Rutland's, that it had already been despatched, it was in fact not going to be despatched for another two!

Overall it has been a very enlightening experience. And to think, I am scarcely half way through it, fills me with a delight and pleasure the type of which can usually, only be obtained in sinister spheres, and be very difficult to obtain. I only wish I could share my profound joy with others.

* Let us not forget, there was no delay in with-drawing my money from my bank account. This particular aspect of the overall ordering experience, was carried out with the ut-most precision and finesse on Rutland's part. I think it took all of 47 minutes, so full credit must be observed for Rutland's on this facet.

We cower in our shelters, with our hands over our ears!

Spud - sounds like you've had a nightmare with Rutlands - it's stories like these that have maintained my history of never ordering from them. Let us know how you get on with the BS350. I managed to rip the thread on the tensioning bolt over the weekend :(. Be careful tensioning 3/4" blades - I'm have a feeling that the bolt already had some damage because it always got a little stiff at the position where it ripped the thread. They should send me another one, but it's a real pain. I was right in the middle of getting all my wood prepared for my next project.
WS - I was confused about that too :).
Cheers
Gidon

Hi Spud..I'm a bit confused, is D&M quoting 2 to 3 months or is that the Rutlands saga?

It is NOT D+M, but an earlier order from Rutland's. Which is definately going to break into the third month, before I get what I paid for all those weeks earlier.

But, just to reply to Gidon about the Record. The stripped thread does not sound very encouraging. I ordered one from D+M yesterday. I also ordered a Record floor standing pillar drill. D+M contacted me today, to inform me that Record Power want £99.82 for delivery charges!

It must be stressed that I do live at the top end of Scotland, but I am well on the mainland. All the same, I am finding £99.82 delivery very hard to justify, and a bitter pill to swallow.

I have had, and heard of money-grubbing quotes in the past, but nearly 'One hundred pounds' has taken the whole concept of mail order, to a new dimension for me.

I would like to stress that D+M subsidised the postage, by knocking £20.00 off. Which takes it down to £80.00, which was very kind of them.

But Christ, nearly £100.00 Pounds postage! Has anyone else had similar quotes too this?

ouch ... £100 for delivery!!. I have noticed that a number of companies do exclude parts of Scotland from their standard delivery charges but that hurts!

I am also a bit concerned about the stripped thread but still plan to order a BS350 at the Kempton show - I hope to get a deal simular to Gidons.

I have had very good experience of Record Power's aftersales support, so I trust them to make good any defective parts.

It must be stressed that I do live at the top end of Scotland, but I am well on the mainland. All the same, I am finding £99.82 delivery very hard to justify, and a bitter pill to swallow.

Living in Aberdeen, I get used to having to add an extra day to standard delivery times quoted by most suppliers, the major exception being Axminster; I donno how they did it but they managed to deliver 19 hours after the order was placed...and this on Xmas eve too...

I gotta be honest.. that extra day is hard enough to swallow... being hit with a delivery surcharge would be the clincher.. no way would I commit to that supplier, especially with a high value order.. anything over £45 is excessive...

Spud
Record has said they'd send a new adjusting rod out. And recommended that one shouldn't tension the blade while the blade is tensioned! Ie you loosen off with the quick release, then flick the knob back. That would make it tricky to make minor adjustments but sort of makes sense. I think to be honest most bandsaws (in this price range anyway) operate via the same sort of system - so there must always be a risk of tearing the thread. May also depend on the quality of the steel used for the threaded rod too I guess.
£100 does sound very steep - I possible would have checked with another company - Record have showrooms around the country - could you not collect one from somewhere. Anyway I guess too late now!

WS
Their aftersales seems pretty good - I've been on the phone to them quite a bit. Although they haven't sent replacements parts out as quickly as I would have liked. Most machinery manufacturers I have found pretty good in the technical after sales - NMA (Scheppach) best, then Delta and Record a close joint second. Having said that I seem to have to speak to technical after sales a little too much for my liking!

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":3g4avr0w said:
And recommended that one shouldn't tension the blade while the blade is tensioned! Ie you loosen off with the quick release, then flick the knob back.
Huh? Quick release for blade tension is a fairly new idea AFAIK, and no-one had tension bolts stripping left right and centre without it. Heck, even my Elu managed a couple of years between bolt replacements. Sounds like a paltry excuse for a useless part to me.

Cheers, Alf

Back in cynic mode :roll:

Alf - I was slightly puzzled at that one too!

Actually Record have been pretty good. But I wish sometimes they would just say - oh yes that's a bit crappy that part - we'll send a few for back up for now, and when we've sourced a more substantial part we'll send one out to you - terribly sorry Sir!

Cheers

Gidon

[post edited]

gidon":2x9qvoob said:
But I wish sometimes they would just say - oh yes that's a bit crappy that part - we'll send a few for back up for now, and when we've sourced a more substantial part we'll send one out to you - terribly sorry Sir!
I think you'd have to fall down a rabbit hole and meet the Mad Hatter in Wonderland first. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

gidon luckily they did not give you the old we have an upgrade for that part and it's only £10 plus delivery :twisted: not implying RP do that but some companies do

AB - actually in this case I wouldn't mind if it was a genuinely better part!
I may have just been unlucky - a small burr or such like on the thread - who knows!

So go on then - name and shame!

Cheers

Gidon

Got the same deal as Gidon for a BS350 at the D&M Kempton show ( it took a little discussion!) :D :D

I have to say D&M were well organised - brought the car to the loading area and two very helpful chaps loaded it into the back.

Having unpacked at and assembled it (Wow, its heavy!! :shock: ) I agree with Gidon; the standard of construction appears very high. So far, no problems. Next step to order some decent blades from Duredge.

One problem that I do have relates to my fitting it on a HTC mobile base. The base flexes a little and therefore assembly is not as rock solid as I would like. I thinking of securing a 18mm ply sub base to the HTC, and then bolting the BS350 to the HTC through the plywood base. Anyone else fitted their BS to an HTC? Would appreciate any comments.
John

Hello

Re.

One problem that I do have relates to my fitting it on a HTC mobile base. The base flexes a little and therefore assembly is not as rock solid as I would like. I thinking of securing a 18mm ply sub base to the HTC, and then bolting the BS350 to the HTC through the plywood base. Anyone else fitted their BS to an HTC? Would appreciate any comments.
John

I was originally looking into bench top bandsaws, but after reading some of the comments came to the conclusion i would probably regret it later, so i started looking at the BS300 with mobile base, then Gibon told me about his deal on the BS3500. i asked my local supplier for the same deal and he has matched it. My only concern is mobility with the BS3500, they don't make a wheel set for the BS3500 only the BS300. Due to the weight of the BS3500 i would prefer it to be mobile so i can move it into the middle of the workshop for ripping long lengths of timber etc..

Does anybody know of a wheel set that will be easy to use but stable for this purpose.

Regards :D

Michel

I've been called many names - but "Gibon" is a new one!!

The BS350 does have a whole in each corner which if you found the right lockable castor wheels, would make a straightforward solution. But they do raise the height all the time. I bought some and attached them to a braced piece of MDF - but at the end of it the BS was raised almost 4" and felt wrong so ditched it and have not tried anything else. I keep meaning to try the bandsaw on my HTC2000 which is currently on the TS. If I get round to it before you make a purchase I'll let you know how I get on. The popular axminster DIY mobile bases look like a good option. Also I've seen one in an American mag which just fits around the base (in situ) and you use a lever to raise and move the saw. Would suit me 'cos I only need to move it occasionally for the same reasons you suggest.

Cheers

Gidon

Sorry about that Gidon was trying to type in a hurry , no offence meant. :oops:

Just wondered where most of you position your bandsaws in the workshop. I was thinking of putting mine by the garage door in the corner so i could wheel it out (if i can find a wheel set :roll: ) for ripping long lengths. Ideally it should be in the middle of the wall, but this is prime space for my woodrat and mitre saw station.

Tempted to pay the extra few pounds for the BS350 (seems too good an offer to misss out on), but would still like the portability for ripping etc.

Regards :D

Michel

Back