Heatwave

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many days a year is the UK's energy needs met completely by renewable energy sources? And that's before you get onto the pollution from lithium mining for a relatively short lived energy holding device! It quite possibly is the future but needs a much cleaner source of battery storage and a big increase in renewable power sources before it achieves it!
In Quarter 1 2022, renewable share of total generation was 45.5 per cent. This is the second highest quarterly share on record and the highest since Quarter 1 2020.30 Jun 2022.

If we were to wait for the very latest battery technology to arrive before buying into it, it would simply be unaffordable.
We have to invest in current technology for there to be any data available for further product development to occur.
So simply finding fault with technology that is currently available to the masses and expecting progress to happen all on it's own is foolishness, progress doesn't happen overnight and progress doesn't stop so you will wait forever.

Look at F1 technology and how that filters down into our domestic transportation for example.
Technology is in motion and it never stops.

PS For what it's worth I run my Car AND House on solar energy with all excess going to the grid for no FIT payment (feed in tariff), energy companies are selling the energy that I've provided for free. But you don't hear me complaining because it's all for the greater good.
@Billy_wizz What are you doing to help?

Last edited:
What infuriates me so much about the whole situation is that we could change our habits in a very short period of time, but we don't, because that affects profits.

- Why can't we completely remove cheap meat? why do we think we have the right to eat meat every single day? meat should cost as much as it needs to, to be sustainable and humane, this would rapidly drive down meat consumption, and what are the negatives? I don't see any. Sure there might be a transition period where businesses will have to adapt, but that's a relatively small cost considering.

- Why when we knew things were going downhill didn't we put a limit on the amount of air travel instead of just allowing it to rise and rise?

- Why when plastics were being brought into production wasn't there a plan of action in how to deal with the waste *before* they were allowed to be produced at mass scale?

- Why is it still allowed to produce non recyclable packaging? we've know about the issues they cause for a LONG time. Why wasn't there a deadline set for their banning a LONG time ago?

- Why aren't the companies that make the biggest contribution to Climate Change taxed through the roof encouraging them to find alternative methods?

- Why is there so little foresight????

Humans can be so amazingly clever yet amazingly stupid at the same time.

By the way, I know the answer to all the above questions, greed and corruption, but I still need to vent.

What infuriates me so much about the whole situation is that we could change our habits in a very short period of time, but we don't, because that affects profits.

- Why can't we completely remove cheap meat? why do we think we have the right to eat meat every single day? meat should cost as much as it needs to, to be sustainable and humane, this would rapidly drive down meat consumption, and what are the negatives? I don't see any. Sure there might be a transition period where businesses will have to adapt, but that's a relatively small cost considering.

- Why when we knew things were going downhill didn't we put a limit on the amount of air travel instead of just allowing it to rise and rise?

- Why when plastics were being brought into production wasn't there a plan of action in how to deal with the waste *before* they were allowed to be produced at mass scale?

- Why is it still allowed to produce non recyclable packaging? we've know about the issues they cause for a LONG time. Why wasn't there a deadline set for their banning a LONG time ago?

- Why aren't the companies that make the biggest contribution to Climate Change taxed through the roof encouraging them to find alternative methods?

By the way, I know the answer to all the above questions, greed and corruption, but I still need to vent.
Perhaps you should read

Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist​

by Kate Raworth

And why haven't house builders been forced to build low energy houses for the last twenty years?

4 years ago we had a summer which was hot from May to September yet for the past two days we get hot under the collar over a couple of days of high temps!!🤔🤔🤔

Last edited:
4 years ago we had a summer which was hot from May to September yet for the past two days we get got under the collar over a couple of days of high temps!!🤔🤔🤔
Speak for yourself. Some people have been concerned for a long time. I think the current heatwave has just set people talking about it more.

Why when plastics were being brought into production wasn't there a plan of action in how to deal with the waste *before* they were allowed to be produced at mass scale?
Quite, and the same across all of industry. But the answer is that industry is business-led, ie profit is the engine, largely bereft of any ethical concern. That's unlikely to change! You'd have to have predictive monitoring by government agency - only government has the power to legislate - and that's unlikely to happen either. It's a tough world and it often seems that the only action is a rearguard one. :-(

What a lot of fuss and ridiculous media hype about a couple of days of hot weather.
This is how it was done in the 70's
hot 70s.JPG

And now

hot 22.JPG

Why does everything seem to be such a drama these days.

What a lot of fuss and ridiculous media hype about a couple of days of hot weather.
View attachment 139851

And now

View attachment 139850

Come down south and see for yourself.
It's alright for you up in Scotland, you're just having a warm day.
I measured 40.5c in my Garden.

View attachment 139851

And now

View attachment 139850

Way back when, I did some IT work at the met office, and I managed to blag a few of those magnetic weather symbols as in the top pic. I gave them to the two sons of one of my old friends, and they stuck them on their fridge door. I'll have to ask my friend if he still has them... I'd forgotten all about it!

Way back when, I did some IT work at the met office, and I managed to blag a few of those magnetic weather symbols as in the top pic. I gave them to the two sons of one of my old friends, and they stuck them on their fridge door. I'll have to ask my friend if he still has them... I'd forgotten all about it!
That would be a brilliant thing to own 👍

You couldn't make it up -

The weather was too hot for solar panels on Tuesday as soaring temperatures reduced their efficiency.

As the heatwave pushed the mercury above 40C for the first time ever in Britain, solar output remained well below the levels usually reached at peak times in spring ...

Solar panels become less efficient when temperatures rise above 25C, meaning energy generation drops off, with efficiency decreasing by around 0.35 percentage points for every degree above this level.

It's nothing to do with the temperatures. its about how it's presented these days. If you look at the first image, it's 27C in Aberdeenshire and it's just shown as nice sun with a 27 in it. No drama. If you look at the second image from Monday. it's cooler than that everywhere north of Hull and it's marked with warning colours. It's media hype. every program has to be a drama these days, even the weather forecast. Why can't they just present the facts in a professional manner instead of the endless hype they create.

Why did you use a graphic showing the temperatures 10c lower than they have been?
To emphasise the point I was making. My comment is nothing to do with absolute temperatures, It's about the way they present things now.

To emphasise the point I was making. My comment is nothing to do with absolute temperatures, It's about the way they present things now.

Right. So your problem with global warming isn't that its happening, but in the colour schemes used in the graphics?

Have I got that right?

In Quarter 1 2022, renewable share of total generation was 45.5 per cent. This is the second highest quarterly share on record and the highest since Quarter 1 2020.30 Jun 2022.

If we were to wait for the very latest battery technology to arrive before buying into it, it would simply be unaffordable.
We have to invest in current technology for there to be any data available for further product development to occur.
So simply finding fault with technology that is currently available to the masses and expecting progress to happen all on it's own is foolishness, progress doesn't happen overnight and progress doesn't stop so you will wait forever.

Look at F1 technology and how that filters down into our domestic transportation for example.
Technology is in motion and it never stops.

PS For what it's worth I run my Car AND House on solar energy with all excess going to the grid for no FIT payment (feed in tariff), energy companies are selling the energy that I've provided for free. But you don't hear me complaining because it's all for the greater good.
@Billy_wizz What are you doing to help?
So we should buy an inferior product that doesn't live up to the claims of being greener to enable them to create a better product? Perhaps they should use the profits from current sources to develop a better product?
As much as I'd like to benefit from the savings of solar (although some of the reports suggest that panel degradation could mean that it costs rather than saves money) I don't have 10's of thousands to invest so the point is mute!

Back