Heatwave

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Screenshot 2022-07-17 at 14.54.32.png

This is NASAs GISTEMP infographics isn’t it? The base data set is 1951-1980, so the first infographic is literally comparing a subset of itself to itself. Meaningless. The second infographic has meaning, but trying to make a comparison between a meaningless infographic and a meaningful one isn’t telling me anything? Or maybe it’s the heat getting to me.

This is NASAs GISTEMP infographics isn’t it? The base data set is 1951-1980, so the first infographic is literally comparing a subset of itself to itself. Meaningless. The second infographic has meaning, but trying to make a comparison between a meaningless infographic and a meaningful one isn’t telling me anything? Or maybe it’s the heat getting to me.
Apparently - yes Data.GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis (GISTEMP v4)
So a picture of higher and more widespread anomalies in 2022 compared to 1976 is not meaningful?

Comparing a single year to another single year is basic at best.
The point of 1976 was that there was a heatwave with record temperatures, in the UK at least.
The comparison is between two UK heat waves.

Plus what I don't get is many older people I have spoken to often say, "back in my day young laddie, we had summers like this all the time"
Much of this is unprecedented Forest fires rage across Europe as heatwave sends temperatures soaring

Given the unusually high numbers of sunspots and the knowledge that there is a connection between the number of sun spots and the average temperature on earth it's far more complicated than most think!

Given the unusually high numbers of sunspots and the knowledge that there is a connection between the number of sun spots and the average temperature on earth it's far more complicated than most think!
Really? Who knew that!
https://www.ipcc.ch/
Are people still choosing not to believe in CC? How strange I thought that had finished.
What are they waiting for - to see it actually happening?
er - well it actually is!

Are people still choosing not to believe in CC? How strange I thought that had finished.
For many believing is having the full experience and in this case that point is way past trying to resolve the issue. We did have good summers, they were warm and predictable without wild swings from day to day, yes when it rained it drizzled for days on end but then when the sun came out it was warm for days but now we are seeing extremes over ever shorter time spans.

Do you think the captain of the Titanic would have still hit that iceburg had he known about it just to confirm it was real! I think the facts are all around us, ever increasing population, more industry and more and more destruction of the enviroment to make way for farming, HS2, housing and palm oil.

Really? Who knew that!
https://www.ipcc.ch/
er - well it actually is!

I've been vegetarian since I was a child. I'd worked out that animals were not all that dissimilar to us, that they felt pain and probably some sort of emotions, and causing them distress them simply to make our food taste different seemed a little selfish.

More or less every adult, if they were honest with themselves, knows that some pretty rotten stuff happens to animals (again, sentient creatures, not that dissimilar from us) in order to make their dinner taste different.

I mean some would say it didn't, they would deny it wholly, but most would accept the truth of the matter, but, at the end of the day, conclude that somthing else suffering to make their dinner taste different was a price they were willing to pay.

Of course, "they" are not paying the price at all, another animal is.

Climate change stuff is exactly the same. There's some that honestly don't believe it, but, for most, there's a degree of convenient / deliberate lack of thought so they don't feel to blame for someone else's suffering.

More or less every adult, if they were honest with themselves, knows that some pretty rotten stuff happens to animals (again, sentient creatures, not that dissimilar from us) in order to make their dinner taste different.
If you eat meat then you should at least see it being killed, that is how it once was when people hunted for their food and now we have a production killing machine that farms death, quote:

How many animals are slaughtered in the UK? Every year in the UK approximately 2.6 million cattle, 10 million pigs, 14.5 million sheep and lambs, 80 million fish and 950 million birds are slaughtered for human consumption.

Is that really something we just want to turn a blind eye to? We grow food to feed these animals to eat, cut out the middle bit and just grow food to eat.

This is exactly how many people view climate change, they will make excuses because they don't want to rock the boat and carry on ignoring the facts that we are cooking the planet and many peoples grandchildren today will never see old age as a result.

Apparently - yes Data.GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis (GISTEMP v4)
So a picture of higher and more widespread anomalies in 2022 compared to 1976 is not meaningful?

No, because the first infographic compares 1976 to a dataset that includes 1976. It’s literally meaningless. All you needed to show was the second infographic. That compares the present day to a set of years INCLUDING 1976. Does that make sense now? BTW I’m not saying that the GISS analysis isn’t important, it is.

No, because the first infographic compares 1976 to a dataset that includes 1976. It’s literally meaningless. All you needed to show was the second infographic. That compares the present day to a set of years INCLUDING 1976. Does that make sense now? BTW I’m not saying that the GISS analysis isn’t important, it is.
Right. Not convinced!
If the first image is meaningless why did they put it up? If it means nothing they may as well have left it blank.

Back