Window Screw Jacks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fidget

Trying
Reaction score
When I did some work on my house over the last 3 years i moved the staircase to it's current position (in the photo) which involved knocking out the floor between my office and the room downstairs. This has led to the top window being rather isolated. As I found in the recent heatwave it would be good to be able to open the casement on the right hand side (beside the cat!), which fortunately is top hung, but is slightly inconvenient as it is over 3 metres up in the air and bringing full height ladders into the house is a right pain. This got me to thinking of a window screw jack to open it. However I have no experience of how they are fitted or the dimensions needed.

Anyone done this before?

20200819_142023.jpg

I'll have a similar prob when I build my next house...not justlight but ventilation....summer temps average 36deg in the shade......no prob for me as the wiring will get done before the plastering...
I found a remote controlled elec screw jack to open n close a top hung window from eBay.....diff length of operation avail....
just needs a 12v supply up there.....
think it was about £50 complete....
did at first think of the ones we used at school all those years ago but then u have to store the pole....

You could use a screw jack and remote winder. A cord operated quadrant opener or even an electric operator.

Thanks chaps.

Frank, it would be best to have it electrified but I have no supply anywhere near

Mike. Yeah, I'm looking at a screw jack but the quadrant opener was a new one to me, I'll keep looking.

The screw openers that I am familiar with work only for rooflights. Just think very carefully if it is the right piece of kit for a (vertical) window, because it will need the round eye and the screw action to be oriented rather differently compared with a fitting for a rooflight.

Hmm! This isn't as easy as I thought it would be is it.

Thanks MikeG for pointing out something I hadn't thought through, I thought that a hook on the end of a pole would somehow still be able to turn the crank.

Lofty this would seem to be the best option, but they aren't very aesthetically pleasing are they?

I'm now looking at a cord operated Preston system opener but not sure if they will exert enough pressure to close the window firmly!?

Hmm! This isn't as easy as I thought it would be is it.

Lofty this would seem to be the best option, but they aren't very aesthetically pleasing are they?
Those I linked to are the first that came up on Duckduckgo and was just to give you an idea to solve the problem but there must be other styles of the same thing. Painted Brown I'd have thought they would soon become unnoticeable. Personally I'd sooner have one of those than the Preston one with the bar sticking out.

Thanks Droogs,

Interesting... I've just learned a new word 'Quadilent'

Still looking at all the alternatives

I can't believe how many tabs I've got open now

Back