Have you noticed....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's also possible that the "perpetrator" had simply forgotten to switch their lights on. :unsure:
i doubt it, it was like 9pm in february and wet/drizzly. They were less than 6ft off the car in front on a motorway. would be pretty obvious all your lights were off at that distance.

On the safety of cars I have two cousins, one is a paramedic, his brother a former fireman on appliances (firetrucks to you) and works now as a trainer of firemen.

Both of them have the same feelings about cars - cars were fine as they were 50 years ago before airbags, side impacts, crash zones etc etc, it's the people that are morons. Everyone knows these measures were added to reduce RTA injuries and deaths, 99% of which are caused by OTHER PEOPLE.

Fog doesn't kill people on the roads, or snow or ice or torrential rain - people do.

Both of my cousins have the same solution - all car steering wheels have a metal spike in the middle and explosive front and rear bumpers like the pinto. People will drive at much safer speeds according to conditions and much less likely to drive distracted when thier own lives are on the line.

Both of them have seen far too many RTA deaths, of children being decapitated, crushed, maimed, amputations both buring and after RTA's and pretty much everything else your worst nightmares can conjure up.

Almost everyone is guilty of driving distracted, and there are very very very few reasons it could be claimed as "legit", the rest are pure negligence.

I drive like an old man, 66 inside lane on motorways (which saves me fuel at the cost of only a few minutes) and very warily everywhere else - but then at 27 I almost died in an RTA not of my doing, and spent almost 1 month in hospital recovering and more months of recovery after that having temporarily lost the use of both hands and two broken legs, so I've been there and know what I'm talking about.

EVERYONE needs to drive better. EVERYONE.

Some fascinating tails of the unexpected here! I saw a van once with faulty lights too! I was so excited I had to stop and calm down!
On a trip to Zimbabwe a couple of year back, saw a truck with no rear lights, but painted on the tailgate was "no lights - no spares".

It's my fault this thread was started, originally about how many vehicles have defected lights and how they seem to get away with it. Well, here's something else that really gets my goat, and in truth, it was this junction that caused me to start noticing about faulty indicators and the like!
This nearby mini-roundabout replaced a T-junction a few years ago, in order to slow down A-C traffic.

View attachment 157503

Unfortunately the white, slightly domed roundabout was offset just enough to let traffic, at speed, travel from C to A by going straight over the dome or even the wrong side of it! It's virtually a straight line!
Granted, buses and artics have little option because of the curvature of the surrounding pavements, but 'ordinary' vehicles?
The red dots represent reflective bollards - they get taken out with great regularity! Imagine artics navigating B to C!
I've seen cars going A to B even ignoring the bollards, let alone the roundabout!
The number of vehicles C to A who indicate 'right' is also astounding - there is no right turn! If anything, they should be indicating left if they've bothered to go round the roundabout...ideally on the correct side!

That's it.
Today's rant over!
Before I gave up driving, my biggest hate was the number of 'numpties' who did not indicate on roundabouts. If you are NOT indicating, it means "I'm going straight on" - that's what I was taught -. Wouldn't it be'wonderful IF every driver used roundabouts correctly!!!!
(That'll put the cat amongst the 'pigins'!

Before I gave up driving, my biggest hate was the number of 'numpties' who did not indicate on roundabouts. If you are NOT indicating, it means "I'm going straight on" - that's what I was taught -. Wouldn't it be'wonderful IF every driver used roundabouts correctly!!!!
(That'll put the cat amongst the 'pigins'!
Yebbut basically all road use for everybody is about negotiating an obstacle course. Some of the obstacles may well be idiots who don't do things correctly but you just have to learn to live with them and not lose your rag.

On the safety of cars I have two cousins, one is a paramedic, his brother a former fireman on appliances (firetrucks to you) and works now as a trainer of firemen.

Both of them have the same feelings about cars - cars were fine as they were 50 years ago before airbags, side impacts, crash zones etc etc, it's the people that are morons. Everyone knows these measures were added to reduce RTA injuries and deaths, 99% of which are caused by OTHER PEOPLE.

Fog doesn't kill people on the roads, or snow or ice or torrential rain - people do.

Both of my cousins have the same solution - all car steering wheels have a metal spike in the middle and explosive front and rear bumpers like the pinto. People will drive at much safer speeds according to conditions and much less likely to drive distracted when thier own lives are on the line.

Both of them have seen far too many RTA deaths, of children being decapitated, crushed, maimed, amputations both buring and after RTA's and pretty much everything else your worst nightmares can conjure up.

Almost everyone is guilty of driving distracted, and there are very very very few reasons it could be claimed as "legit", the rest are pure negligence.

I drive like an old man, 66 inside lane on motorways (which saves me fuel at the cost of only a few minutes) and very warily everywhere else - but then at 27 I almost died in an RTA not of my doing, and spent almost 1 month in hospital recovering and more months of recovery after that having temporarily lost the use of both hands and two broken legs, so I've been there and know what I'm talking about.

EVERYONE needs to drive better. EVERYONE.
Some years ago, the 'Pointy heads' decided the A49 in Herefordshire needed 'traffic calming' obstacles installed, or should that be; 'Driver frustrating devices'? Their reason was :- "It's a dangerous road". Considering how long the A49 has been between Ross-on-Wye & Preston, Lancs, why did it suddenly become 'dangerous'? Answer; it didn't, it's the idjits that make any road dangerous!
That's my rant for today, now I'm off to the zoo to see the Dangerous!;)

I think you are right to be concerned. Especially about the ones that have the offside headlight and sidelight out. There is no excuse for that in my book. One bulb fair enough it may have just happened but both is pretty dangerous as it obv affects perception of what is coming towards you and how wide it is. Most modern cars will warn you a bulb is out as well so any new car with both out is even worse behaviour by the driver.

Indeed.
After all, there is a fairly good and logical reason for having lights at each corner!

Some years ago, the 'Pointy heads' decided the A49 in Herefordshire needed 'traffic calming' obstacles installed, or should that be; 'Driver frustrating devices'? Their reason was :- "It's a dangerous road". Considering how long the A49 has been between Ross-on-Wye & Preston, Lancs, why did it suddenly become 'dangerous'? Answer; it didn't, it's the idjits that make any road dangerous!
Sounds like the pro gun argument: "guns don't kill, it's the people behind them" :rolleyes: i.e. completely misses the point.

LTN's look like a good idea - a bit of a challenge to the motorists delusions of divine rights, held by some.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...tn-residents-defend-scheme-most-hated-bollardhttps://www.theguardian.com/society...-cycling-and-working-accelerate-across-the-uk

Last edited:

Ummm I forgot to mention in my previous post, and this is the honest truth - the road I was almost killed on was..... the A49 not far outside of Hereford, the very road of which you speak.

I was working in Ross-on-Wye at the time and even though it's was signposted as 60 (back in 1997) as is often the case locals who knew the road well were driving faster than that and then swerving, losing the back end of thier trailer putting it right into the path of the oncoming next car with nowhere to take avoiding action..... which happened to be me.

pineapple was prosecuted though.

The same as any weapon, at the moment they still need people to use them.

But most people are aware weapons kill people, but the way many drive they seem wholly UNaware that a 1/2 ton metal object travelling at speed has the same end result if control is lost or other driver error.

It's almost as if most silly person drivers expect all the others on the road to drive in a compensatory manner for them... until they meet another silly person.

Almost got cleaned up yesterday when a young 'one-less-than-a-three-hat' looked at me coming along at 50mph and decided to pull out in front of me from a junction. I really don't know how I didn't hit him up the rear. Some walkers further on applauded him (on his stupidity I hope) as he went by. Talk about brown trouser moment.

I would have loved someone do that to me in my old Mk 1 Range Rover, the front bumper was a steel channel section. 🥴

But most people are aware weapons kill people, but the way many drive they seem wholly UNaware that a 1/2 ton metal object travelling at speed has the same end result if control is lost or other driver error.

Well yes.
Hence the massive amount of regulation surrounding motoring: pass a test, get a licence which can be removed if you are naughty, get insurance, have vehicle checked every year for safety, different speed limits and signs all over the country every few hundred yards, road markings, traffic lights, zebra crossings, speed cameras, traffic police, punishment/bans for speeding/drunk driving, and so on. Add road maintenance, new construction, and the cost is many millions.
They still manage to kill and injure thousands every year.
Cyclists on the other hand would need non of this in a motor free world, except to keep to the left, plus a few warning signs for junctions, and smooth but ordinary roads. Risk of death or injury extremely low.
Interesting bit of history here: Car drivers assume the roads were built for them, but it was cyclists who first lobbied for flat roads more than 100 years ago

Last edited:
Do cyclists pay a 'road fund licence' (as was) and must have insurance? [Sit back and patiently wait for furore]
Read my previous post. No they don't and nor should they. Neither should pedestrians.

Do cyclists pay a 'road fund licence' (as was) and must have insurance? [Sit back and patiently wait for furore]
You already know that VED is not ring fenced for roads, hence the quotes, but also, the type of cyclists who generally provoke adverse reaction from drivers do pay VED, as they have a car at home. So that's an argument that has a flat battery.

Insurance is trickier. It's an idea that has merit, but almost impossible in practice, and likely to be counter productive, in that we should probably be trying to encourage cycling, for health and environmental reasons. Also, I don't have any statistics, but my gut feeling is that the majority of Lycra clad, three abreast traffic jam causing bike riders do have some sort of insurance.
Sorry I can't be more furious than that, but it's a bank holiday.

Back