Have you noticed....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1/ we managed a reduction only because we're the third safest Country in Europe - we wouldn't have managed it otherwise.
2/ we would have managed a larger % reduction if the Country was more dangerous.

It depends to what the "only" is relevant.
If I was having a chat in person I would say the same thing. I'm still not seeing where it is wrong or how it would cause confusion.

Person 1 - (Simplified) - The uk hasn't done as well as X country as they have an X% reduction and UK has 20% reduction. We lag behind most of Europe in a big way

My response - We only managed a 20% reduction because we are already the 3rd safest country in Europe for road deaths/million population according to that same document. It gets harder to make big gains when you are already doing quite well.

I still don't really understand your breakdown to explain it, but apologies if my statement was that unclear.

But we are getting of topic now

If I was having a chat in person I would say the same thing. I'm still not seeing where it is wrong or how it would cause confusion.

Person 1 - (Simplified) - The uk hasn't done as well as X country as they have an X% reduction and UK has 20% reduction. We lag behind most of Europe in a big way

My response - We only managed a 20% reduction because we are already the 3rd safest country in Europe for road deaths/million population according to that same document. It gets harder to make big gains when you are already doing quite well.

I still don't really understand your breakdown to explain it, but apologies if my statement was that unclear.

But we are getting of topic now
It's my belief that, in the context of your post, there is no ambiguity. If you had said "the reason we only managed a 20% reduction is because we were already...." There would have been no doubt at all what you meant, and yet the "only" would have been in the same position.
I wouldn't worry about it, and I'm an annoying pedant, according to my wife.

Talking of motoring offences, I saw a cretin on his escooter earlier today who indicated his intention to turn right by sticking his leg out.
Suffice to say, this caused him to adjust his overall balance by leaning himself - and the machine - at a perilous angle to the left.
Another three brain cells and he could've been a daffodil bulb....

Back