hardwood source

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can recommend Treespanner timber (http://www.treespanner.co.uk). There isn't always someone at the sawmill so give them a call before you travel. Native hardwoods only, but they are extremely helpful and prices are good.

Just bought some lovely oak from them. Yum :D

RP

platypus:

are the harwood from that source kiln dried???

regards

steve

I have mentioned previously in this same forum subject the use of oak fence posts. This weekend I needed a piece of oak for a particular section of a project I am working on ( outdoorgarden gateleg table) and I pulled out a piece of oak fence post that I cut down over 34 years ago from a previous garden. In the meantime the timber had been used as a wheel stop for the motor car etc.

The 2ft length of 4x4 cleaned up a reel treat and would have been good enough to use on an indoor furniture job. What I am trying to say is put some oak fence posts aside, but not another 34 years!!!

I've used SL a few times and won't do mail order from them again - their calculations of wastage and mine are very different, and delivery charges.... Enough said. However, if you can get to their yard and choose your timber they have a good stock and often have some unusual stuff. I ordered some 8x2 rough sawn cherry from them a long time ago for pickup and when I got there the boards were longer than I wanted and one was only 7x2. Glad I didn't mail order them. BUT, I did buy them anyway because they had the most fantastic deep red colour I've ever seen in cherry. I used much of it in some bedroom furniture (on my site) along with some of SL's cherry veneer boards (good price). The extra lenths are still sitting in my workshop, though..... One day I'll find a a use for 2 ft of 7x2 cherry and 3 ft of 8x2.....

Last time I used SL, I specified the gross size, making my own estimation for wastage. This was over the net, followed by phone to chase up. The delivery was awful, 4 weeks! but the quality of the stock (AWO) was excellent.
John

Similar experience with SL - I needed some advice concerning the timber I wanted to buy. They weren't particularly helpful and quoted an enormous figure for wastage - far higher than I've ever experienced in practice. They ended up quoting me 70 quid for some oak I ended up getting from a local sawmill for 20 quid (cheaper cube price and less - well virtually no - wastage). So, for timber I can't see myself using them in the future.

On the plus side, however, I ordered some non-timber items from them recently. They sent an incorrect item, which they cheerfully replaced with an apology, and I had to return an item I couldn't use (I didn't think the website description was clear, they did) but again there was no problem in them taking it back.

They do have some very nice veneer in stock though, so when I get tempted to try my hand at veneering I'll probably go there for supplies.

RP

Back