Handrail brackets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The types used in the UK, if installed with correct length and size screws do work fine. The one installed when our then council home was built has never shown even the slightest suggestion of movement or whatever. Likewise a second one installed (again three screws plate system) on the opposite wall, to help my Mum use the stairs more safely as she grew frail, never showed any signs of failure either.
Yup, load distributed over three cylinders not one and removes the alignment issue of the bracket having to be in/out from the wall by the pitch of the screw thread, terrible design, no wonder it’s hard to buy them… but I get the impression a mind is rather made up

The reason my mind is made up, is the brackets and handrail are going into posts in the garden not a wall, the lag screws give adjustment to the positioning of the handrail around a curve.

Last edited:
...issue of the bracket having to be in/out from the wall by the pitch of the screw thread...

Think it through and you will see that the maximum difference would be half the pitch of the thread.

Given that it is a lag screw thread, its likely application is in log cabin style construction, where the adjustability on a wall that may not be straight in the first place is a positive bonus.

Hi

Apologies for my Victor Meldrew approach last time, you were correct that I didn't fully read your post, I just jumped in thinking I can help here and I found that Supplier took a screenshot and posted it.
1000003171.jpg

In future I will fully read any post I respond to.
Again I'm very sorry and hope you let me off for being rude and disrespectful to you.
Anyway, I noticed in your last post that you have wooden posts and also it's on a curve.
I just wrote a very very long post ready to send then realised I wasn't logged in - logged in and all my words of wisdom disappeared !
So this a condensed version -
Have thought about a rope handrail which can be surprisingly strong.
This would eliminate the need for lag/handrail brackets altogether, they very often seem to work loose anyway, either the wall/post fixing or the upward fixing into the handrail.
Lots of options with rope where no brackets required whatsoever - drill hole through the post and put a screw through the rope to hold taught once happy with position etc.
Drill through and wrap around post and onto next post etc.
Just wrap around and move on.
I've attached pictures etc of different brackets if you do want to use them.
Rope can be natural hemp or synthetic and I think a good size is around 40mm thick for grip. I believe the synthetic is less prone to the rigours of the rain/weather.
I presume you are intending put a timber handrail on the brackets you are looking at - as I'm sure you know, timber handrail around a curve whether up and down or literally around a corner can be a time consuming event as the joints always seem to be a different angle to set unless everything is perfect which it very seldom is !
I have fitted several "rope handrails" in nursing home gardens/grounds and they work well and seamlessly
1000003173.jpg
1000003172.jpg
1000003170.jpg
blend in with the surroundings well.
Sometimes in a handrail it's the reassurance that it's there that's needed.
Anyway, please forgive for my previous horribleness (made up word I think, but fits) and I hope this post finds everyone well !
P.S - my attachments seem to have attached in random places on here, don't know why 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• decking rope options.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Think it through and you will see that the maximum difference would be half the pitch of the thread.
It seems that you didn't (think it through) - That would mean that the bracket would be upside down !! @TheTiddles is correct, it has to be the full pitch.

Hi

Apologies for my Victor Meldrew approach last time, you were correct that I didn't fully read your post, I just jumped in thinking I can help here and I found that Supplier took a screenshot and posted it.View attachment 165659
In future I will fully read any post I respond to.
Again I'm very sorry and hope you let me off for being rude and disrespectful to you.
Anyway, I noticed in your last post that you have wooden posts and also it's on a curve.
I just wrote a very very long post ready to send then realised I wasn't logged in - logged in and all my words of wisdom disappeared !
So this a condensed version -
Have thought about a rope handrail which can be surprisingly strong.
This would eliminate the need for lag/handrail brackets altogether, they very often seem to work loose anyway, either the wall/post fixing or the upward fixing into the handrail.
Lots of options with rope where no brackets required whatsoever - drill hole through the post and put a screw through the rope to hold taught once happy with position etc.
Drill through and wrap around post and onto next post etc.
Just wrap around and move on.
I've attached pictures etc of different brackets if you do want to use them.
Rope can be natural hemp or synthetic and I think a good size is around 40mm thick for grip. I believe the synthetic is less prone to the rigours of the rain/weather.
I presume you are intending put a timber handrail on the brackets you are looking at - as I'm sure you know, timber handrail around a curve whether up and down or literally around a corner can be a time consuming event as the joints always seem to be a different angle to set unless everything is perfect which it very seldom is !
I have fitted several "rope handrails" in nursing home gardens/grounds and they work well and seamlesslyView attachment 165656View attachment 165657View attachment 165658 blend in with the surroundings well.
Sometimes in a handrail it's the reassurance that it's there that's needed.
Anyway, please forgive for my previous horribleness (made up word I think, but fits) and I hope this post finds everyone well !
P.S - my attachments seem to have attached in random places on here, don't know why 🤷‍♂️

FWIW, I agree with Howie65 about the rope stair "handrail" shown.

I have a medical problem which has removed just about all sense of feeling from the soles of my feet. That in turn leads to a distinct lack of balance unless I keep my eyes on my feet and/or the horizon the whole time. That in turn means that I need a handrail when going up and down stairs, which means that a handrail is a huge help - not so much for physical "power assistance" but more to "ensure my continued verticality" - I just run a hand lightly along the top of whatever handrail is there as a guide.

(Public buildings without any handrails on their stairs, or with entrances so wide that the handrails at each side of the stairs are a million miles apart are a real PITA, but that's another story)!

Those ropes he shows would certainly be easier to install than a solid wooden rail!

But of course my situation may well be much different to yours/your family members MikeJhn.

@okeydokey Thanks for the link, they are in Australia, however, I am fixed up know, believe it or not found some locally, but thanks for looking.

Last edited:
@okeydokey Thanks for the link, they are in Australia, however, I am fixed up know, believe it or not found some locally, but thanks for looking.
Hi MikeJhn
I was so chuffed at finding some and forgot to see where they were before posting - ah well the power of google
Glad you've found some locally
cheers
ps if you'd paid the airfare I would have collected them for you and paid my own hotel bills :)

Following on a bit from this, the handrails will be joined together with Zipbolts at various angles, as this is external I am thinking of adhering the two together with a polyester glue rather than a PVA what would other use?

Following on a bit from this, the handrails will be joined together with Zipbolts at various angles, as this is external I am thinking of adhering the two together with a polyester glue rather than a PVA what would other use?
Something like this?
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...6009BAF006B882E424DA6009BAF006B882E&FORM=VIRE
Should work, imo glue will not withstand the force of someone pulling on the handrail but will cosmetically help, definitely not pva look for something thats waterproof if you wish to apply glue. OR maybe better still don't join the rails leave a deliberate gap and ensure the fixing brackets are placed nearish the end of each length of rail.

Hi,

We too have a very steep garden; here's my solution to adding a sturdy handrail to garden steps.

Aug 2022 finish_0001.JPG

1694161277501.png

The round cover is a push fit covering the screws. They can be fitted at any angle and are maintenance free.

Kind regards, Colin.

The round cover is a push fit covering the screws. They can be fitted at any angle and are maintenance free.

Kind regards, Colin.
Already have our handrail supports, if you look back on the thread it was discussed at length and eventually I found some locally

like the green posts and rails by the way and the ground level rot collar.

Last edited:
Started to fit the Zipbolts, and looking for instructions for the drilling dimensions, Axminster just posted them to me in a plain plastic bag, this should be easy to find I thought, the only place I can find the instructions is on Amazon, is it any wonder that most on line shops loose out to them.

Latest posts

Back