Handrail brackets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeJhn

Grunkel
Reaction score
Any one know where I can get hold of the below inside the UK
. Lag screw bracket.jpeg

In the US they are known as Lag Bolt Handrail brackets, but that does not bring up any in the UK, but thanks for looking. May have to buy some long coach bolts, bend and weld my own, not something I want to do, but needs must.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230828_070724_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230828_070724_Chrome.jpg
    842.4 KB · Views: 0
If you look closely that is the screen shot I put up in the first place, postage and duty is extortionate, that is why my post asked for UK based supplies, but thanks for trying to help.

It would not have been a waste of your time if you had read the original post, quite clearly it asks for a UK source and you posted my own image back at me.

Last edited:
@Howie65: As a disinterested observer to the above exchange (i.e. I don't know either you or MikeJhn personally) I must say that I think the "attitude" comes from your side!

I've seen MikeJhn's posts many times here and I don't recall him ever being "arsy tarsy"! Whereas after 7 posts since May this year, it's hard to be sure with you Howie!

May I respectfully suggest that with written comms it's VERY easy to pick up "a false tone/message"! MikeJhn DID say he was looking for a UK supplier and he ONLY (!) said that if you'd have read his post more fully then you wouldn't have suggested a US supplier - (would you"?!

I know from personal experience of seeing someone posting a Q here, think to myself "Oh I know an answer to that" and then rush in without reading the first post in full.

With respect Sir

@Howie65: As a disinterested observer to the above exchange (i.e. I don't know either you or MikeJhn personally) I must say that I think the "attitude" comes from your side!

I've seen MikeJhn's posts many times here and I don't recall him ever being "arsy tarsy"! Whereas after 7 posts since May this year, it's hard to be sure with you Howie!

May I respectfully suggest that with written comms it's VERY easy to pick up "a false tone/message"! MikeJhn DID say he was looking for a UK supplier and he ONLY (!) said that if you'd have read his post more fully then you wouldn't have suggested a US supplier - (would you"?!

I know from personal experience of seeing someone posting a Q here, think to myself "Oh I know an answer to that" and then rush in without reading the first post in full.

With respect Sir
This is true - it’s very easy to Mis read a post or miss a small detail in your willingness to answer, I try to read the op twice before responding and I read my own reply back as again easy to get the wrong end of the stick. I probably got the same results as mikejhn hence the solution to make his own is most likely the best solution unless anyone else has a better idea.

Thanks for you considered responses guys, I am not trying to replace any brackets, it's a new installation in the garden up the side of a walkway, the garden is very steep and MOH is getting a bit infirm and unsteady on her feet.

I cannot help with a supplier, but just some ideas as an alternative to the welding option.

It is possible to buy items with a lag screw thread at one end, a short hexagonal section in the middle and a metric thread at the other end (small ones are sold in SF/TS for fixing a cistern to the wall). I think they are called something like 'coach screw stud' or 'wood to metal dowel'.

The metric thread might offer some possibilities.

In particular, you could male thread the end of the bracket and use a connector nut and two locknuts to form the joint.

You could turn down the male thread on the item, rethread it the next size down and put a female thread in the bracket. Bit of Loctite to secure.

I found one that is semi-UK but limited stock:

https://shop.uk.q-railing.com/handrail-bracket-wall-mod-0110-316-140110-140110
See also this one, whcih could be converted to look like the one above:

https://shop.uk.q-railing.com/handrail-bracket-stem-m8-q-line-mod-0809-304-130809?variants=000-12

I dun a search (duckduckgo - they don't track you....) for "hand rail brackets" (n " " of course) and found a whole slew of brackets. Agree they don't look like those ilusstrated in the OP, but perhaps it's just as esy to sue what's available in the UK. When the local council installed an additional handrail on late Mum's stair case (so as to have one either side of the stairs) they used something similar to those I found a during my search.

I didn't do an indepth trawl so not sure what else is out there, but as I suggest may be better to use what's readily available in the UK rather than pay humongous shipping costs etc. if bringing from US/Canada?

There are brackets which fix to the wall via a single heavy duty screw through a wall plate to which the actual "arm" with its plate for the hand rail is attached. They might be an acceptable alternative too?

I have registered with Q-railings UK and awaiting a response to see the costs, thanks for the link.

I have registered with Q-railings UK...

These people appear to be resellers:

https://www.pearstairs.co.uk/q-railing-and-easy-glass.html
They do not list the part linked to above (I might have missed it though as there are nearly 20 pages of items) but might be another source of info.

Edit:

Ali has them:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004689276959.html
Also reasonably available in Australia and New Zealand. I wonder if there is something in our building regulations here that make the lag bolt version non-compliant.

Last edited:
I think the only compliance issue for handrails in the building Regulations is for height above the nosing and the 100mm ball rule for distance between uprights, but all for staircases, never seen anything in the BR with regards to specific fixings, except maybe a general note about fit for purpose or maybe able to withstand a certain loading and I think a Lag bolt/Coach screw would be better able to withstand a load better than the three wood screw type that are common in the UK.

The types used in the UK, if installed with correct length and size screws do work fine. The one installed when our then council home was built has never shown even the slightest suggestion of movement or whatever. Likewise a second one installed (again three screws plate system) on the opposite wall, to help my Mum use the stairs more safely as she grew frail, never showed any signs of failure either.

Fixings into a brick wall would be good as I assume most council houses where built of brick, if the internal walls where of the type of modern construction i.e. lightweight breeze block or even timber frame plasterboard faced unless the fixings where into the frame the fixings would eventually fail, even the fixings into the frame would not be substantial enough over time to support a twenty stone person hauling themselves up the staircase. That is why I am looking for a long lag screw to fix into an Oak post in the garden, weather conditions permitting it should last.

Back