Handrail lengths

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJP

Reaction score
Hi
Does anyone know whether there is a maximum uninterrupted run for stair handrails? I've just measured up to replace an old staircase that currently has a handrail around 6.5m long and I'm thinking I may need to add an extra newel halfway up but can't seem to find any regs regarding max lengths.

Thanks
Russ

Part K of the Building Regulations deals with stairs. It has nothing to say on handrail length. However, it limits the maximum continuous number of risers to 36, after which you need a landing before any remaining risers continue. Hence, the maximum handrail length could be inferred from picking numbers for minimum rise and maximum going and multiplying by 36 and some trigonometry.

No reason why you can't have a continuous handrail, The main limiting factor will be set by the length of handrail you can either make or buy, as in how long is a piece of wood!

Can you not reuse the one you have?

Thanks

I can't reuse the old one as its knackered & its pine (new stairs are to be oak).
I was kind of hoping there was a max so I don't have to find & machine up a 6.5m length of oak!

I’ve a fairly sizeable house and there’s no way I could manoeuvre a 6.5m length around it!

Latest posts

Back