Stair Handrail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wooly

Reaction score
Need to put a staircase handrail up for old family member. Seems wood that can be painted would be fine (to match other wood in hallway) but struggling to find one 1.5m long with brackets readymade. Any thoughts?. Thanks

As, rogxwhit has just said, you can buy a simple mopstick handrail and easily screw on brackets to suit. Three or four brackets, for a normal flight of stairs, with five screws to each ( two in the handrail and three in the wall)

The widely available pigs ear profile is really quite puny when you look at the measurements, and you can’t get your hand round it. If it’s for an older person I’d be more inclined to go for a straightforward mopstick and ideally don’t even paint it just pick something nice like oak and avoid polishing it to a high sheen. Grip is really important going up the stairs for an older person.

I paid £100 or so from UK stair parts direct for a 3m mopstick in oak not long ago with brackets, delivered.

Best picture I can find at the moment

BC9C7E44-BECA-442E-BDE2-6895836D7B48.jpeg

The widely available pigs ear profile is really quite puny when you look at the measurements, and you can’t get your hand round it. If it’s for an older person I’d be more inclined to go for a straightforward mopstick and ideally don’t even paint it just pick something nice like oak and avoid polishing it to a high sheen. Grip is really important going up the stairs for an older person.

I paid £100 or so from UK stair parts direct for a 3m mopstick in oak not long ago with brackets, delivered.

View attachment 145928
Are you saying the pigs ear rail not that good for old guy here gripping and especially if balance not good?. What's the link to chosen mopstick in oak?. Comes with fixing brackets?...

View attachment 145928
What centres distance you putting brackets at?

Are you saying the pigs ear rail not that good for old guy here gripping and especially if balance not good?. What's the link to chosen mopstick in oak?. Comes with fixing brackets?...

Yes, really not good in my personal opinion, my wife is 39 and has bad knees and I mocked up a pigs ear and she hated it due to the lack of grip while her hands are still strong - just an opinion, quiz an occupational therapist if you want a proper view.

https://www.ukstairparts.co.uk/
What centres distance you putting brackets at?

About 1m, but mainly because I have a small boy who likes to hang off it…you could certainly get away with less.

Yes, really not good in my personal opinion, my wife is 39 and has bad knees and I mocked up a pigs ear and she hated it due to the lack of grip while her hands are still strong - just an opinion, quiz an occupational therapist if you want a proper view.

https://www.ukstairparts.co.uk/

About 1m, but mainly because I have a small boy who likes to hang off it…you could certainly get away with less.
Good info thanks

Hello Wooly,
I am that "Old Guy"! I am awaiting knee replacement surgery and stairs are a pain (literally). I have installed rails on both sides, as our 1920 house has steep stairs and not up to current BRs. I find it helpful to be able to chose which hand to grip with or both if I need to haul myself up. I used the oak handrail as per the attached photo. I would also use four brackets per rail as it is important to be able to take weight. I used a satin varnish finish and do not have a "grip" problem.

Attachments

• Staircase handrail.JPG
    Staircase handrail.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Hello Wooly,
After posting I realised that the previous handrail in my house was a Pig's Ear pattern. I found it difficult to grip as it is attached to the wall with no finger room to be able to grip and you could only run your hand up it as you climbed . A pattern of rail with brackets gives the ability to grip and that is even more important when descending. Falls really only happen going down!

Hello Wooly,
I am that "Old Guy"! I am awaiting knee replacement surgery and stairs are a pain (literally). I have installed rails on both sides, as our 1920 house has steep stairs and not up to current BRs. I find it helpful to be able to chose which hand to grip with or both if I need to haul myself up. I used the oak handrail as per the attached photo. I would also use four brackets per rail as it is important to be able to take weight. I used a satin varnish finish and do not have a "grip" problem.
That looks a good option. Where did you purchase from?. A lot of postal orders so expensive to ship

Hello Wooly,
I bought the handrails from our local timber merchant in Chichester, West Sussex but it was some years ago. I think the link that someone has provided would be your best bet (Stairparts).
This hand rail was designed to be used with a baluster (or spindle), which sit in a groove and then infill with short spacers between each baluster.
For this staircase which is between two walls I glued the lengths of oak into the recess. The photo of the end shows that they are of laminated construction.

Back