Hand screw clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
I have 2 vintage hand screw clamp but have not got the foggiest how to use them.

The smaller of the clamps has the screw going all the way through on one side but not on the other similar to the one on ebay link
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Hand ... SwDKtY06Ln

The other has the threads/screws going all the way through similar to those in this link. None of the holes are threaded and I can remove the screwer rod thingys easily.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vtg-Jorgense ... SwyGZaKelA

All of the threads are wooden.

Any help or pointers would be extremely useful at this stage.

Naz thank you very much.

I have been looking for hours for something like this.

I really appreciate it.

Gary

Not sure if the video is demonstrating the clamp type you have in the first eBay link, so the techniques they show may not all work there. Video shows modern clamp with left and right hand threads where the jaws can be completely out of parallel.

Hi Garno,
I have a couple of these clamps of different sizes and find them very useful to hold smaller items on the bandsaw. In particular, when tight curves are needed and the workpiace is smaller and perhaps not square, the jaws of the clamps can be set at whatever angle is necessary. Using them flat on the table keeps the cut vertical and thats why I bought them. Still available at Axminster I believe.

Malcolm

The older woodscrewed clamps work exactly the same as toolmakers cramps, which are still made and sold.

BugBear

Old style cramps are really useful and versatile. With their square section jaws it's easy to hold something in one, then hold the cramp in the vice, or fix it to the bench with a holdfast.

They are also easy to make (once you have a tap and die set of 3/4" or bigger).

AndyT":2bmzv7jl said:
Old style cramps are really useful and versatile. With their square section jaws it's easy to hold something in one, then hold the cramp in the vice, or fix it to the bench with a holdfast.

I prefer the Jorgy update - all the versatility of the wooden ones, and more besides. You can even buy the metal work separately and make your own jaws.

BugBear

Bodgers":2wc8l3yp said:
Not sure if the video is demonstrating the clamp type you have in the first eBay link, so the techniques they show may not all work there. Video shows modern clamp with left and right hand threads where the jaws can be completely out of parallel.

You are right, the larger one's I have are that type but I fear they may be too big for what I need them for, https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/produ ... box-joints (my christmas prezzie from the little lady)

I believe once you get used to them they are great cramps to use.

Gary

bugbear":2m21wa4t said:
The older woodscrewed clamps work exactly the same as toolmakers cramps, which are still made and sold.

BugBear
Sure, the same as the engineer's clamps - they have the right hand threads as well. The Jorgonson style ones have left and right hand threads on the same rods though (second link) so they work a bit different.

There's a pair of these on my round tuit list, very useful things to have. Especially in pairs!

bugbear":15ltcmxz said:
AndyT":15ltcmxz said:

I prefer the Jorgy update - all the versatility of the wooden ones, and more besides. You can even buy the metal work separately and make your own jaws.

BugBear

Have you found a good source for either the mechanisms or the whole clamps?. Everywhere I have seen is either very expensive or out of stock. I have seen hardware for 16" clamps advertised but no longer available.

I have a few of the no name Chinese imports, and a single Dubuque one (which is a thing of beauty) and find them very useful.

Biliphuster":387m4gh4 said:
bugbear":387m4gh4 said:
AndyT":387m4gh4 said:

BugBear

Have you found a good source for either the mechanisms or the whole clamps?. Everywhere I have seen is either very expensive or out of stock. I have seen hardware for 16" clamps advertised but no longer available.

I have a few of the no name Chinese imports, and a single Dubuque one (which is a thing of beauty) and find them very useful.

Most cost effective (but still not cheap) are the Dubuque hand screw clamps from Fine-tools.com, see about 1.40 mark here:

https://youtu.be/sLPAzcjqqAU

I meant that you buy a tap and die set and make the whole thing out of wood.

Axminster sell the thread box and tap, though the price is double what I paid a few years ago.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-wo ... it-ax21303

The rest is whatever bits of hardwood you kept in case they came in useful.
I'll try and find some pictures of the one I made.

Ok, here are some pictures.

This is a commercially made one that I bought:

bought.jpg

and this is my copy of it

home-made.jpg

One jaw has a blind hole and a clearance hole, the other has two threaded holes

home-made_holes.jpg

The handles are easiest made on the lathe but you can buy dowel if you have no lathe. One of the rods is hardwood for the threaded part, glued into a turned pine handle - I was just using what was handy. These two are about 9 or 10" long but you can make them any size.

Another option is to use threaded rod. This one is about 30 years old and was made with M6 studding - M10 would be better. Metal rods work ok but are slower to adjust than wood. You can use a T-nut or sink an ordinary nut into the wood and glue it in place.

home_made_studding.jpg

A common use is to hold a piece when mortising it, as here

mortice_chisel.jpg

This thread has some more ideas

threads-t82691.html

Attachments

• bought.jpg
    bought.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 54
  • home-made.jpg
    home-made.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 54