grinding/sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erik

Established Member
Reaction score
hi folks
my first post on here so please be gentle.
i'm looking to get a new grinder for chisels, plane irons etc.
would love a tormek but too expensive.
thinkin of a scheppach 2500, but still a bit pricey.
does anyone know of an alternative ?
regards
erik

Hi,

I have tried most sharpening methods over the years, if you have money to spend i highly recomend this-
WS3000.jpg

However it is very important to understand the rudiments of sharpening first, there is lots of info on here, just use the search function.

hi
thanks for the reply
i havnt seen this one before where is it from?
i have a fair idea how to sharpen them (been a carpenter for 20 years)
i'm just in the market for a new grinder
regards erik

If you just want a grinder, then why are you talking about the Tormek and Sheppach 2500? These are whetstone grinders.

If you want a good quality dry grinder then the slow speed cruesen brand are about the best there is. However, cheap grinders are generally ok. You may need to swap out the wheels as the grey ones are only good enough for sharpening mower blades.

What is your budget

erik":2if606fb said:
hi
thanks for the reply
i havnt seen this one before where is it from?
i have a fair idea how to sharpen them (been a carpenter for 20 years)
i'm just in the market for a new grinder
regards erik

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/

On offer at the moment also.

MFF100.gif

If it's just for dressing primary bevels, backs of chisels etc this stuff at £1.90 a sheet (plus a surprisingly small amount of elbow grease) works like a charm.

If it's a powered system you are after, I have heard very good things about these that Mike sells.

norton-bench-wheel.jpg

In a relatively inexpensive bench grinder (try to get one where the top of the wheel runs away from you) they make a much more sensible proposition than the water cooled slow grinders which solve the overheating problem twice.

Better to be fast and cool than slow and wet!!!

Latest posts

Back