Sharpening advice for dabbler

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm an occasional woodworker - very ignorant - based in Cheltenham.
I read the UK workshop forum every day, and feel very ignorant (but not discouraged!) I really appreciate the dissemination of expertise.
I have inherited loads of chisels and several hand planes. Also a few knives. They are all in a poor state of repair, and I would like to sharpen them. I'd like to get a decent sharpening system. Am I right in thinking Tormek are good?
Looking online, there seems to be a T-4 and a T-8. The T8 is a lot of money, but I'd rather buy once and buy something I don't want to upgrade later.
Opinions, please.

it is as good a solution as any, though there are plenty of copies of the Tormek, that are a lot cheaper if you wish to go down that route.
On this forum sharpening queries seem to open up a whole "can of worms". The reason for this, I don't quite understand. :LOL:

Last edited:
I wonder - would using a professional sharpening service to bulk sharpen most frequently used tools be a good idea to start with in this instance?

In theory - this would:
1. Allow to start with sharp tools and give an idea of what "sharp" is
2. reduce the need for buying expensive sharpening machine and allow to get by with a diamond stone (or two) for future touching up and sharpening?

I have never personally such a service but if I had thought about this option before I began wasting money on all sorts of sharpening equipment and gadgets I would have saved a lot of money, time and aggravation.

To give an idea of prices - quick google gave me this:

1699032338624.png

(no affiliation and no idea if this service is good or bad, but here is a link if anyone is interested where this screenshot came from)

Hi Everyone,
I'm an occasional woodworker - very ignorant - based in Cheltenham.
I read the UK workshop forum every day, and feel very ignorant (but not discouraged!) I really appreciate the dissemination of expertise.
I have inherited loads of chisels and several hand planes. Also a few knives. They are all in a poor state of repair, and I would like to sharpen them. I'd like to get a decent sharpening system. Am I right in thinking Tormek are good?
Looking online, there seems to be a T-4 and a T-8. The T8 is a lot of money, but I'd rather buy once and buy something I don't want to upgrade later.
Opinions, please.
I'd just do them as and when you need them.
It's not like a mechanic's or a surgeon's set of tools where you might need exactly the right size for each operation and to have them all on-hand ready to use.
And if "occasional" just get into freehand on a couple of oil stones. Unfashionable, but dead easy, saves money and time, and an essential basic skill. Good for hand/eye coordination which you need anyway as a hand tool worker.

Last edited:
I've got 3 systems, Tormek, bench grinder and water stones. If you would like to try them get in touch.
Brian (15mins from Cheltenham)

Tormak is odd to me, I know people love them for some reason but having used them several times I have yet to find out why, they are super slow.

I agree that the sorby pro edge or the axminster copy is a much better bet, if only because you can quickly change grits and do a flat grind as well.
When doing on site work years ago we used to use the 4inch belt sander to quickly get any nicks out and flatten the back then a few passes on a waterstone or diamond plate, worked pretty well and quickly too, I do not advocate this but it shows you don`t need fancy stuff.
You actually only "need" a coarse diamond plate and a double sides waterstone to get a razor sharp edge on most tools. This has a pretty low investment cost compared to any machinery but is of course much slower.

Ollie

I wonder - would using a professional sharpening service to bulk sharpen most frequently used tools be a good idea to start with in this instance?

In theory - this would:
1. Allow to start with sharp tools and give an idea of what "sharp" is
2. reduce the need for buying expensive sharpening machine and allow to get by with a diamond stone (or two) for future touching up and sharpening?

I have never personally such a service but if I had thought about this option before I began wasting money on all sorts of sharpening equipment and gadgets I would have saved a lot of money, time and aggravation.

To give an idea of prices - quick google gave me this:

View attachment 169167
(no affiliation and no idea if this service is good or bad, but here is a link if anyone is interested where this screenshot came from)
Thats more than I paid for a lot of my saws and chisels. I even have a block plane that was less than 6 quid.
Anyhow prices like that should spur you on to learn sharpening.
Regards
John

I'd take up Yojevol's kind offer! For a beginner, (assuming there are no major chips that need grinding and Yojevol could take care of that anyway) something like this makes life easy IMHO Axminster Workshop Honing Guide. Ensures the correct honing angle (and you can master fee-hand as the whim takes you - I still use a honing guide after many years). Then you can use whatever abrasive stone or emery paper you have available. Some form of grinder is handy in the long run but personally I wouldn't start there. I have a half-speed 8" bench grinder and made a simple jig to ensure the correct grinding angle, but honing is what you do most often.
Cheers
Richard

Back