Graduate lathe castors anyone ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chisteve

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have just got hold of one of these and just changed my 3ph 240 v motor over from my jubilee so I have variable speed a pain to do but worth

I also swapped some cheap castors I had on the jubilee but have found they are not the best as only 3 on main base and of course a lot heavier

I need to raise lathe about 125 mm 5 inches

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for castors and suppliers ?

Decent 100mm castors.

Make sure they are really 100mm as some will measure floor to do face as 100mm with a 75mm wheel.

Go for ball bearing ones for easier moving too.

Screwfix etc so you can take back if you have a problem!

No way a lathe as heavy as a graduate is safe on castors, its too tall & heavy. Me & a mate had a fair sized metal lathe over once when moving it with a fork truck & it was lucky that nobody got hurt & that the damage to the machine was very slight.
I also had a startrite bandsaw on castors, Taking son to school one morning, in a hurry, in the garage,put him in his seat in my pickup open the up & over door, jump in, start up & drive out the door. Behind the truck there is a mighty crash & cloud of dust. I jump out & the bandsaw's power lead which had been hanging on the front table guide bar had fallen off & hooked round the trucks rear bumper. I had towed it over.
The table was twisted round at 45 degrees, I just slammed the door shut & didnt go in there for two days.
It was fixable but was never really the same after that!

I have just got hold of one of these and just changed my 3ph 240 v motor over from my jubilee so I have variable speed a pain to do but worth

I also swapped some cheap castors I had on the jubilee but have found they are not the best as only 3 on main base and of course a lot heavier

I need to raise lathe about 125 mm 5 inches

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for castors and suppliers ?
i needed to change the height on my Charnwood and settled on 9" sqaure wooden blocks, worked a treat and goodby aching back

I used to have a Graduate, I raised it on C section steel 5”, and bolted two lengths between the headstock and tail. I used M16 bolts threaded through the C section with discs welded to the heads to level / get the exact height I wanted. Threaded feet can be bought. I was able then to use a pallet truck to move it around as needed.

Just asking, as I've renovated and moved a graduate before. It's a seriously heavy lathe with a fair bit of weight up top.
Do you consider it safe / usable on castors ?
Personally I wouldn't.
The castors by Carl Holmgren, shown in the video, are for moving the lathe only. In normal use the lathe stands on it's own feet.
However I agree, movements should be in small increments & whether pushing or pulling the force should be applied to the bottom half of the legs.

Back