What would you do

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chisteve

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Union Jubilee lathe - I’ve replaced the bearings etc and new 3 p 1 hp motor running through a inverter with variable speed all works well and enjoying learning how to wood turn mainly tool handles at the moment - looking at more complicated work later

The lathe was free - I restored and added the upgrades

I have a chance of a hopefully cheap graduate that works fine, it will need upgrading to variable speed etc

So have a good set up at the moment - should I go for the graduate or look a newer alternative

I do not have a large budget so will be looking at second hand

Will be interested in your thoughts

Get the Graduate,if you can do the upgrades needed yourself and from the looks of it you can ,then you will have a cracking lathe that will last for years(y)

If it is cheap, you will be waiting a very long time to get anything better without spending a fortune. Even more so if you are prepared to replace the motor with variable speed.

Have you considered chucks? If you want to make anything bigger than 12" you will need something with a left hand thread. Chucks and faceplates can be expensive, if it comes with anything, so much the better!

Both the Jubilee and the graduate are heavy lathes. They both have the same dimensions over the bed and can turn similar sizes outboard. Given that you’ve already outlaid the cost of upgrading the jubilee why switch to the graduate and start again? You might eventually get a higher resale value but that’s the only reason I can think of.

Surely if the graduate is cheap and you are happy doing the restoration / motor upgrade you will end up making a profit that can be put towards some new tools?

I had a long bed Graduate at work for many years but when I retired I picked up a good Jubilee and found it did most of the things I wanted to do.
I’m now in possession of both models and various other lathes it seems like owning lathes is an addiction so I guess I can’t really help you decide what to do others than 2 lathes is better than one🤣🤣

I have a Union Jubilee lathe - I’ve replaced the bearings etc and new 3 p 1 hp motor running through a inverter with variable speed all works well and enjoying learning how to wood turn mainly tool handles at the moment - looking at more complicated work later

I have a chance of a hopefully cheap graduate that works fine, it will need upgrading to variable speed etc

So have a good set up at the moment - should I go for the graduate or look a newer alternative

I do not have a large budget so will be loo

I do not have a large budget so will be looking at second hand

Will be interested in your thoughts
I would buy the Graduate, upgrade it with your Jubilee motor, inverter etc. Then sell the Jubilee as a project. No brainer. Tony

Latest posts

Back