gotta love ebay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
just got me a 900mm wide smeg oven for less than half price. It's a great place when you get a result. Just got to hope i don't get a box of bricks :roll:

I know.

last year i sold an 4 year hold Thermador cooker (retail 4000 pounds) for only 400 pounds :twisted: )

The Mother in law bought a new house and she didn't like the bulky thermador stuff, she replaced it with even more expensive Kuperbusch stuff

Andy
I really hope you have a better Smeg experience than we did.

We did our kitchen five years ago. Smeg oven, cSmeg ombination microwave oven and Smeg hob. It was expensive, the MW combi was £1100 alone IIRC. We thought we were buying the best (SWMBO doesn't do cheap :roll: ).
It looked (and still does) fantastic.

Both the hob and the oven failed within 12 months, the MW packed up after 13. The oven and hob were repaired under warranty, the MW cost us, although Smeg did provide the parts for free. Still a substantial labour bill though.

The oven now only works on "ordinary", two of the three fans have packed up, so it sounds like a Jumbo if we put it on fan. The clock hasn't worked for years (it gets hot and just flashes away merrily) and the microwave is bust again - we've bought a £40 one fron Sainsbury's instead.

If we were rolling in cash I'd replace both ovens tomorrow, as I do 90% of the cooking and it's a pain when that they don't so what they are supposed to do.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I will never buy Smeg again.

Having said that, my brother bought Britannia (never again) and my friends bought Stove (never again) so what is a chef supposed to do?

the smaller miniOm is the one o'm after when i come out. I should look nice against the back painted glass wall :wink:

From the point of view of having fitted a few kitchens and talked to guys who've been at it for yonks there are some brands which are "boomerangs" and some which are reliable. In my experience inthe "boomerangs" category come Smeg (who are so bad that two trade distributors I know of are reluctant to handle them) and Stoves (aka Belling! and what can you expect from something made in Kirby?). Other ranges are so-so, like Zanussi (bulletproof washers/driers - rubbish ovens and hobs - so-so fridges). Whilst some manufacturers get it spot on, that includes Neff (ovens), Canon (gas ivens and they used to make brilliant hobs, sadly no more) and AEG (most things). Because they all seem to buy off each other (Hoover certainly get some stuff made by Bosch) it can be a bit difficult to tell who does the good stuff :cry:

Having said that, my brother bought Britannia (never again) and my friends bought Stove (never again) so what is a chef supposed to do?
Buy an Aga very little to go wrong and last forever....... The one to ask may well be JasonB - kitchens seem to be his bread and butter

Scrit

Scrit":2gpc1fs0 said:
The one to ask may well be JasonB - kitchens seem to be his bread and butter

Scrit

Speaking as another whose bread and butter is entirely kitchen based, Bosch is the stuff to go for. I've fitted many of their ovens, dishwashers and refrigeration items over the last three years and never had a moment's trouble, and my customers would definitely have let me know if they had had any problems
Virtually all Neff and Siemens domestic appliances are badge engineered Bosch products, but the Bosch models are usually cheaper

For more about Smeg, refer to the series Red Dwarf

John

We used to have a Neff washing machine - biggest pile of cr*p I have ever seen. It was forever going wrong - parts cost an arm and a leg, and every six months I had to take it to bits and flush everything through otherwise it stank to high heavens.

We replaced it with a Zanussi which cost about a third of the price and has not caused a moments trouble in 5 years.

Be careful - more expensive doesn't always mean better in my experience.

Gary

Our "bete noir" is Phillips. Our first dishwasher was a Phillips and it lasted just 4 years. We replaced it with a Bosch 18 years ago and it is still going strong with just 1 minor repair. A Phillips kettle just cracked around the level gauge and started leaking, and the plastic interior of a Phillips fridge started to crack and break up after 4 years. A common thread is that they seem to use inferior plastics that just go brittle and break up. Just replaced the Phillips fridge with a Zanussi as Bosch didn't do one we liked.

The Zanussi washing machine we had lasted 16 years (including through a period with 2 babies in the days when they wore terry nappies), and having replaced it with a Bosch 9 years ago it hasn't missed a beat. A Neff oven was replaced this year after 28 years use, and we've put in an AEG which was in the Comet showroom for £795 and which we bought online from B&Q for £495.

But NOTHING would persuade me to ever buy anything made by Phillips again!

Latest posts

Back