Ebay relisting?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't normally use Ebay but have been watching a used Festool drill on it this week.

The starting price was £30 and there were a few bids on it through the week until it sold for £45.50 this evening. Thing was within 2 minutes it was back up again with the same seller with a starting price of £50 and another week to run?

Did the seller just not get as much as they wanted so refused the sale, is this allowed?

As I say I don't really do Ebay so this might be perfectly normal but it didn't seem right to me :dunno:

I don't normally use Ebay but have been watching a used Festool drill on it this week.

The starting price was £30 and there were a few bids on it through the week until it sold for £45.50 this evening. Thing was within 2 minutes it was back up again with the same seller with a starting price of £50 and another week to run?

Did the seller just not get as much as they wanted so refused the sale, is this allowed?

As I say I don't really do Ebay so this might be perfectly normal but it didn't seem right to me :dunno:
Did it say under bids the phrase "reserve not met"
In which case it was an unsuccessful sale, so bidder can re-list. In this case making a starting bid of £50.

He's listed as a businessseller,look at his other listing, link further down the ad, it says see sellers other items.

His reviews seem OK, email address is Polish, but UK address. Looks legit.

Or..he had a mate bid it up….that also happens a lot and then cancels the sale.

The seller didn't like the final selling price, if true then seems stupid to start the bidding so low and/or not apply a reserve.
The seller got someone to do some shill bidding for them hoping it would raise the final figure (definitely against the rules).
The winning bidder changed their mind post-auction saying something like their 2 y.o. put in a bid by accident.
The winning bidder had a very low feedback score.
The winning bidder was located somewhere which the seller excluded from their accepted list of countries.
The winning bidder wanted the seller to send the item to one of those "reship" or parcel forwarding companies.

Or the seller might have more than one to sell and just couldn't be bothered to update the photos or description, in which case I would be wary about an item that isn't 100% reflected in the photos posted.

I was lucky and placed the winning bid, £65, on a LN chisel in Felixstowe. I paid the same day and waited. 2 weeks later I asked for tracking, it had been sent Evri which I understand always has tracking. The seller said no tracking and instantly gave me a refund.
As far as I am concerned I think he didn't like the low price, pretended to send it, otherwise why would he have said Evri has no tracking. It's the few bad sellers that give Ebay a bad name, not Ebay itself.

Anyone else like me ? I never ever bid on auctions that have a reserve.
I feel like you can't read the seller. They are likely to have totally inflated ideas of the value of their goods so bidding is a waste of time.
If you have a minimum selling price, then make that your starting price or list your item buy it now or best offer. That way you set an expectation but allow for negotiation.

Anyone else like me ? I never ever bid on auctions that have a reserve.
I feel like you can't read the seller. They are likely to have totally inflated ideas of the value of their goods so bidding is a waste of time.
If you have a minimum selling price, then make that your starting price or list your item buy it now or best offer. That way you set an expectation but allow for negotiation.
I use EBay a fair bit, but also will never buy when a reserve is in place, or there are zero feedback bidders bidding.

Use ebay quite a lot and in general find it very good. Parents won a granite worktop once though and got it to for a low price as there was no reserve and starting bid was low. Contacted the person for collection and they said they had accidentally broke it. So my parents said no problem we'll have it anyway and then didn't hear anything and again contacted them and the person started getting weird and saying they were hassling them etc. It was clearly not broken, they just realised it sold for less than they wanted.

I think there's a lot of times when people retract their bids and pull out. The turn around seems very quick though unless the buyer had already emailed before the end of auction saying that they weren't going to pay but were still top bidder when it ended

Thank you for all the replies.

The auction for the drill has now ended early.

Think I'll keep avoiding Ebay.

The number is times I've bought something from an auction site or online seller only to be told "I dropped it" or "It broke"... people don't realise they aren't putting up the correct T&C, especially for postage costs (I'm in RoI). It's a pain.

The number is times I've bought something from an auction site or online seller only to be told "I dropped it" or "It broke"... people don't realise they aren't putting up the correct T&C, especially for postage costs (I'm in RoI). It's a pain.
I have combined feedback of around 2000 and it's never happened to me.

As an ebay user I was intrigued by this and messaged the seller asking - Why has the item been relisted?

The almost immediate response was that "Hello, so I issued again because I haven't received the payment yet, I know that the buyer has time to pay a few days but also often does not pay for the auctions, best regards."

I followed this up by asking - But how come you relisted for a higher price?

Surprise surprise there has been no response to my second question and the auction has been ended.

Not that I'm cynical or anything but I wont be rushing to buy tools from this seller.
Having had a van emptied by thieves just a couple of months ago, my next question was - can you verify where your items come from?

But I guess I'll never know.
Does seem rather odd to me that somebody would have a seemingly constant supply of battery tools all of different makes with few to no chargers, 2nd batteries or boxes though.

I have combined feedback of around 2000 and it's never happened to me.
In 2023;
A coffee cup from the 'de Simone per Torrisi' set, from Palermo Sicily "dropped" (ebay)
A tall boy by a Danish designer, from the Netherlands, "broken by the truck" (vintage furniture online marketplace)
A Seiko SKX007 'Japan' version, from Germany, 'broken' (ebay)
A freestanding mid-century room divider from UK, 'broken' (online auction)

All refunded no problem, but I didn't want a refund, I want what I paid for.

In 2023;
A coffee cup from the 'de Simone per Torrisi' set, from Palermo Sicily "dropped" (ebay)
A tall boy by a Danish designer, from the Netherlands, "broken by the truck" (vintage furniture online marketplace)
A Seiko SKX007 'Japan' version, from Germany, 'broken' (ebay)
A freestanding mid-century room divider from UK, 'broken' (online auction)

All refunded no problem, but I didn't want a refund, I want what I paid for.
I don't know what to say. Since leaving the UK I sell far less on Ebay as the Italian market is very different, and I am not surprised by the Italian problem. Otherwise, I have had few problems and as you point out at least you know you will get your money back. The chap I won the chisel from claimed he was innocent, in fact went as far as to say he had incurable cancer, who knows? He then went on to show me a screenshot of ebay saying he'd posted it, Evri tracked, although he previously maintained there was no tracking. He then sent me his receipt for the parcel, which clearly had a tracking code, that didn't match my postcode. I'd like to think it was all true, apart from the cancer, but......

Latest posts

Back