Quangsheng 4 1/2 plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djellworth

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Just received one of these planes; I've had the Luban block planes which are lovely before but not one of the bigger Quangsheng variety. The sole was almost perfectly flat on receipt - although the back of the blade did take quite a lot of work. Bedrock design made it very easy to adjust the throat. When all sharp and put together it works like a dream. Almost identical to a Lie Nielsen 4 1/2 although you can feel some of the lack of quality in the adjusters. (And the Lie Nielsen comes pretty much ready to roll with no/minimal fettling.) But for less than half the price - I think tremendous value. (I know it is Chinese and a design rip off.... so there is a trade off of course)
Any one else got one?

Hi, yes I’ve not long bought one.

I had quite a few problems with things not being machined flat, from the factory!

The first plane I received the bed of the casting wasn’t flat and within tolerance, so that went back. There were chips and marks on the body

The next plane, was also not flat and the back of the blade was convex, so had to send that back. The replacement was also the same and had to send that back.

In the end I did end up with a decent plane and the supplier (WSH) were fantastic in replacing things, it was just a little disappointing that quality control at the factory didn’t pick things up. The planes come sealed in bags so the buyer is the first person to have a close inspection.

Must have been a Friday afternoon when they were inspected 😁

I agree they are great value for money and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them, I was just a little unfortunate this time. I have other Quangsheng tools, which are great and had no issues.

Hi, yes I’ve not long bought one.

I had quite a few problems with things not being machined flat, from the factory!

The first plane I received the bed of the casting wasn’t flat and within tolerance, so that went back. There were chips and marks on the body

The next plane, was also not flat and the back of the blade was convex, so had to send that back. The replacement was also the same and had to send that back.

In the end I did end up with a decent plane and the supplier (WSH) were fantastic in replacing things, it was just a little disappointing that quality control at the factory didn’t pick things up. The planes come sealed in bags so the buyer is the first person to have a close inspection.

Must have been a Friday afternoon when they were inspected 😁

I agree they are great value for money and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them, I was just a little unfortunate this time. I have other Quangsheng tools, which are great and had no issues.
Interesting.... I really, really like WSH and I need to buy a 5 1/2 from them (I believe the only UK Quangsheng supplier?) so I think I will ask them to check it over before they send it out. Thanks for sharing.

I've got the Woodriver 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 equivalents. Bought from @Peter Sefton and WWW. Sadly they no longer supply them. But these two are my favourite planes, the 5 1/2 being my go to plane.
Always had good CS from WSH too, just about to drop them an order for a quangsheng small router.

Interesting.... I really, really like WSH and I need to buy a 5 1/2 from them (I believe the only UK Quangsheng supplier?) so I think I will ask them to check it over before they send it out. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah they will do that for you, as I asked them to check the replacement blade etc they sent🙂

I really like WSH as well and have been a customer for a long time. As I mentioned in my post I like Quangsheng planes and WSH had their returns sale, which started Wednesday so I bought a 5 1/2, which has a couple of marks. You also get 14 days to review your return item, so you can send it back, if you wish 👍

Yeah they will do that for you, as I asked them to check the replacement blade etc they sent🙂

I really like WSH as well and have been a customer for a long time. As I mentioned in my post I like Quangsheng planes and WSH had their returns sale, which started Wednesday so I bought a 5 1/2, which has a couple of marks. You also get 14 days to review your return item, so you can send it back, if you wish 👍
You have to wonder what they do with the ‘substandard’ ones. Are they shipped out to others? I doubt the are binned

You have to wonder what they do with the ‘substandard’ ones. Are they shipped out to others? I doubt the are binned
They sell them at a reduced price Paul, in their “Schtickle” sale; which is on at the minute. All the faults are listed and they provide photo’s of the issues. If you are not happy they give you 14 days to contact them and you can return the item for a refund. For these items you don’t get their lifetime guarantee.

Back