5 1/2 Jack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrbff

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently sold my fairly new Record 5 1/2. It worked but compared to my Lie Nielsen and Veritas planes it really was a bit tinny.
I'd like to try another, can't afford an LN, I'm not sure what the current Clifton is like, and when I look at older Stanley and Record I have no idea which to choose. The Juuma from Germany are I assume the same as Quangsheng?

I recently sold my fairly new Record 5 1/2. It worked but compared to my Lie Nielsen and Veritas planes it really was a bit tinny.
I'd like to try another, can't afford an LN, I'm not sure what the current Clifton is like, and when I look at older Stanley and Record I have no idea which to choose. The Juuma from Germany are I assume the same as Quangsheng?
Old Records are generally very good quality and consistently so.

The adjustment on the one I sold was very poor quality. It was several years old, not sure how many years, but did not feel like quality. I have to try and be able to distinguish the different versions.

Woden are early Record.
Them and Stanley look for brass fixings on handles as late was silvery type
Myself apart from way too many Stanley's have Millers Falls.

I have a 1947ish record stay set that I bought when they sold off the contents of David Charlsworths workshop last year, it's a fantastic plane, ploughs through wood like nobody's business. I've done nothing to it other than put a Ray Iles iron in it and sharpen.

Matt

Last edited:
New Record will be Irwin Chinese nonsense! 'Structural integrity of a soggy pizza'

New Record will be Irwin Chinese nonsense! 'Structural integrity of a soggy pizza'
I don't think record Irwin make a 5 1/2 I'd bet the new record planes are made by soba of India.
They don't make a 5 1/2 afaik.
.https://www.findmytool.co.uk/record-jack-plane-05-half-review.php

Goy to ask, why do you want a 51/2?
If you’re tall / larger than the average bloke 100 years ago then it’s likely you might find as others have suggested a no 6 is the go to plane. It can straighten as well as be the jack of all trades. One of these coupled with a no 4 can do almost everything you are likely to need. I would just add that by also having the ‘controversial’ scrub plane for getting stuff down to size quickly will cover 99.9% of material prep.

I have owned a full set of Record and also Lie Neilson planes and finally now have a no6, No4 and Scrub all from LV which are the only planes I ever reached for when preparing stuff by hand. (To be totally open I do have a couple of scraper planes that I also find really useful, but aren’t ‘core’ kit)

Goy to ask, why do you want a 51/2?
If you’re tall / larger than the average bloke 100 years ago then it’s likely you might find as others have suggested a no 6 is the go to plane. It can straighten as well as be the jack of all trades. One of these coupled with a no 4 can do almost everything you are likely to need. I would just add that by also having the ‘controversial’ scrub plane for getting stuff down to size quickly will cover 99.9% of material prep.

I have owned a full set of Record and also Lie Neilson planes and finally now have a no6, No4 and Scrub all from LV which are the only planes I ever reached for when preparing stuff by hand. (To be totally open I do have a couple of scraper planes that I also find really useful, but aren’t ‘core’ kit)
I'm 6'2" and 95kg. Being in Italy there aren't any shops I can go into to try them out. I want it for shooting mainly and the 5 1/2 seems popular.

I don't think record Irwin make a 5 1/2 I'd bet the new record planes are made by soba of India.
They don't make a 5 1/2 afaik.
.https://www.findmytool.co.uk/record-jack-plane-05-half-review.php
I bought an irwin record block plane a couple of years ago. Rubbish quality. Blade ground out of square, mouth of plane casting out of square, blade locating holes off centre and the area of casting the blade rests on was slightly tilted ( from memory it was 2 lugs, 1 needed filing down )

In short, i spent a couple of hours getting it to a point where it was usable. I wouldnt ever buy another

Back