Lie Nielsen or Clifton 5 1/2?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're both top quality.
Precision and square= both
Knob and tote= LN
Heavier weight= CL
Better blade= CL
Better looking= both, CL for me
Collector value= LN
Social media points= LN

Just my opinion. There's always the Workshop heaven brand, kinda wish I'd gone that route. Feel like a collector and don't tent to use the premium ones all that much. Mental block knowing how much I payed maybe and resell. I don't know.

They're both top quality.
Precision and square= both
Knob and tote= LN
Heavier weight= CL
Better blade= CL
Better looking= both, CL for me
Collector value= LN
Social media points= LN

Just my opinion. There's always the Workshop heaven brand, kinda wish I'd gone that route. Feel like a collector and don't tent to use the premium ones all that much. Mental block knowing how much I payed maybe and resell. I don't know.
Can't find a Quangsheng 5 1/2

LN 5 1/2 weighs in at 3.15kg
CL 5 1/2 weighs in at 3.1kg
There is 50g in it.

I handled both at Classic Hand Tools, and favoured the LN.

LN 5 1/2 weighs in at 3.15kg
CL 5 1/2 weighs in at 3.1kg
There is 50g in it.

I handled both at Classic Hand Tools, and favoured the LN.
Another Google search...
Clifton is 3.2 kg (official website)
LN is 11lb = 3 kg (official website)
Also tried both at Harrogate show 4 years back. The Cliftons casting is heavier so feels heavy. LN feels heavy in the centre probably the bronze adds a .5kg. CL felt better to me in the cut but the LN has a better tote for my hands. I went Clifton with no regrets. Was cheaper with more practical benefits for me that is and UK made that's a pure personal choice. You really can't go wrong with both. Clifton under TF&C is under much better quality control. You really won't be disappointed in either.

What's mad I use an old record 5 1/2 and hock blade 90% and a Kanna 70mm 9% haa less precious about it, stupid really the CL lives in the house has probably something to do with it.

Does anyone know about rusting on ductile Vs grey. My Veritas have mad pitting after the mental UK weather this year but my old record and Stanleys are just a bit. All oiled up that didn't matter this year.

That’s an interesting question, I have had blooms of rust in both LN and LV when I moved into my workshop and the floor was still drying out. However an old Stanley and I have and my fathers Record Planes have literally been left on occasions in damp environments / in the rain when he was on site and none have had the same issues with rust.

Another Google search...
Clifton is 3.2 kg (official website)
LN is 11lb = 3 kg (official website)
Also tried both at Harrogate show 4 years back. The Cliftons casting is heavier so feels heavy. LN feels heavy in the centre probably the bronze adds a .5kg. CL felt better to me in the cut but the LN has a better tote for my hands. I went Clifton with no regrets. Was cheaper with more practical benefits for me that is and UK made that's a pure personal choice. You really can't go wrong with both. Clifton under TF&C is under much better quality control. You really won't be disappointed in either.

What's mad I use an old record 5 1/2 and hock blade 90% and a Kanna 70mm 9% haa less precious about it, stupid really the CL lives in the house has probably something to do with it.
There is no Lie Nielsen hand plane that weighs ELEVEN pounds.
Their Number 7 only weighs 8 1/4 lbs!

Their Number 5 1/2 weighs 7lbs

The Clifton 5 1/2 is shown on a great number of sites weighing at 3.1 or 3.2 Kg, which is 6.8-7 lbs.

There is no Lie Nielsen hand plane that weighs ELEVEN pounds.
Their Number 7 only weighs 8 1/4 lbs!

Their Number 5 1/2 weighs 7lbs

The Clifton 5 1/2 is shown on a great number of sites weighing at 3.1 or 3.2 Kg, which is 6.8-7 lbs.
Sorry ye my mistake meant 7lbs. I was Inbetween jobs. The rest of the message and previous message holds some valid opinions and truths. I should no better than to comment on a forum, most gets ignored just the bits that can be conflicted. I personally thought the Clifton feels heavier and someone else said the same. You'll have to go back to comment on that one. Weight is just one point out of 6 or 7 (please don't go back and count I might be out by 1). I don't normally comment for this reason haha
Point is they're both good 😊

Sorry ye my mistake meant 7lbs. I was Inbetween jobs. The rest of the message and previous message holds some valid opinions and truths. I should no better than to comment on a forum, most gets ignored just the bits that can be conflicted. I personally thought the Clifton feels heavier and someone else said the same. You'll have to go back to comment on that one. Weight is just one point out of 6 or 7 (please don't go back and count I might be out by 1). I don't normally comment for this reason haha
Point is they're both good 😊
Absolutely! As with all things, personal perceptions win in the end. I picked up the LN and it felt lovely in my hand. I'd already taken back a Veritas plane because the handle felt enormous in my hand.

Take care if thinking of a Clifton - my personal experience is that it's basically a sound design but that the build quality is poor.

Absolutely! As with all things, personal perceptions win in the end. I picked up the LN and it felt lovely in my hand. I'd already taken back a Veritas plane because the handle felt enormous in my hand.
They have the best handles 100%. A2 blade was the deciding factor for me (and UK-made, personal choice). I have a block, 62 and no2 LN arguably the worst plane examples but both bench plane blades chipped on small knots in hard maple. Old planes with hocks and holtey blades fine and I bought the 62 for the job, after YouTube made me haha. They really should sell 01 blades in UK I may have punted the extra for them lovely cherry handles like haaha

I have several lie Nielsen and a couple Clifton's. The Clifton's are lovely to use and great performance. I did have to switch the blade in the 5 1/2 because it was so far from flat that it was irrecoverable. But since there has been a proper blade in there it is superb.
The Lie Nielsen's are better. 100 times out of 100 I would grab the Lie Nielsen. No big reason. I just find them a tiny tiny amount better made and easier to use in every way

I bought a Cliffie 5 1/2 years ago, I used it maybe once and it's lived in the box since.

It's an odd size. I prefer my Stanley 7 followed by a Stanley 4 or my vintage Norris if the wood is particularly unpleasant.

I'm quite interested in a no. 3. I'd love a LN in bronze, but that would be an absolute luxury purchase.

I bought a Cliffie 5 1/2 years ago, I used it maybe once and it's lived in the box since.

It's an odd size. I prefer my Stanley 7 followed by a Stanley 4 or my vintage Norris if the wood is particularly unpleasant.

I'm quite interested in a no. 3. I'd love a LN in bronze, but that would be an absolute luxury purchase.
I have a LN bronze, 4 or 4/12, can never remember which. Very nice to use. Had it for many years but has never been used that much. I'm prepared to wait. Might be Thanksgiving before I see it.

I'm hoping to convince someone American to take in an LN 5 1/2 for me. It is a big ask as it is hardly a small item to bring back for me.

...I'm quite interested in a no. 3...
I have the Cliffie No.3. I love it. It's one my "go to' planes - I keep it set up for very fine finishing.

My other "go to" planes are beaten up Records.

GTP.jpg

Take care if thinking of a Clifton - my personal experience is that it's basically a sound design but that the build quality is poor.

How long ago? I understand they had QC problems in the early years, but I've not heard of problems since. I bought both my Cliftons ~2010. And if you do have a problem, they're just up the road in Sheffield (for you guys - I have to go a bit further).

Edit: I see your No.5 dates to ~2000 - exactly when they had the QC issues.

Cheers, Vann.

Last edited:
I have the Cliffie No.3. I love it. It's one my "go to' planes - I keep it set up for very fine finishing.

My other "go to" planes are beaten up Records.

View attachment 153531

How long ago? I understand they had QC problems in the early years, but I've not heard of problems since. I bought both my Cliftons ~2010. And if you do have a problem, they're just up the road in Sheffield (for you guys - I have to go a bit further).

Cheers, Vann.
For the money, a vintage Norris will likely come in cheaper.

I don't have a Clifton 5 1/2 but I have a Lie Nielsen. I did buy a Clifton n7 as I couldn't find a Lie Nielsen in stock and a few months later bought the Lie Nielsen. I want to like Clifton but I don't get along with it, it is too heavy and I never seem to be able to get really thin shavings even if I want to.
I would go with Lie Nielsen but I do like A2 steel so that is less of a problem for me

Edited: It may also be because I had the Lie Nielsen first and it just feels more familiar but I doubt

Latest posts

Back