freezing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboy682

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
sat in shed freezing my wot-sits off on Sunday took me nearly 3hrs to warm though again,
so l was wondering what sort of heater do you put in a 8`x 6`garden shed to keep warm bearing in mind the dust from sawing any idea`s ???? please. :duno:

Oil filled rad if you want to warm the whole place, Infrared unit if you just want to project the heat onto yourself.

last winter, after an expensive (gift) special infrared heater thingy packed up, I bought a cheapy fan heater from Tesco, cost me £7, has 3 settings, and adjustable thermostat. Thought it wouldn't last in my extremely dusty 8'x6' shed in Aberdeen, but have been absolutely amazed, heats up really quick, and even when there was deep snow and freezing outside, often had the thermostat turned down low, as was getting too warm!
this winter have also got vacuum from screwfix under bench where my scroll saw is, and when it runs it blasts out a load of heat too - toasty :D

Graham.
I use a halogen radiant heater for personal warmth, but not much good for space heating, for that you will need oil filled or ceramic radiator.

Is your shed insulated, one off cost, but will save in the long run on electricity costs. :shock:

Take care.

Chris R.

Hi Chris
Oil filled radiator is what l am looking at just seeing what prices they are going to be.
then l will be in shed at night hopefully nice and toasty \:D/

To be honest, who wears the trousers in your house? I would kick my girlfriend out into the shed (well, I have a nice log cabin) to watch those pesky soap operas and have the saw in the lounge!
However, an oil filled rad would be best...if she is bigger and tougher than you :)

My workshop is my spare bedroom so I have central heating, double glazing, even curtains on the windows. Coffee on the hour every hour, lovely and warm, can scroll for hours without even thinking about it. Nice to be snug and warm when looking out of the window and watching the snow come down. Ah well, back to the saw.

Ye I use a oil filled rad and for a boost now and then a fan heater as well, but its not helping just now.

Advertised my lathe for sale on the gumfree sold it in 3 days, and the new machine wont be here for at least another week, Have cleaned scraped /rewired / painted/ raked the leaves and cut down old growth, cleaned all the bins, MADE THE TEA! Im going mad.

Rend.

I have a one like this convector heater in my 8x6 workshop /man lab/shed

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DX ... tAodiRUAKg

has two heat settings and thermostat heats up air space really quickly and the just ticks over on the thermostat setting very low been using it for the last three years nad keeps me warm even in depths of winter , whatever you choose your going to need something !

cant compare to an oil filled one all I know is it circulates the heat really well around the air space and been happy with it

mark

Mark
how do you go with the dust that is still airborne l would have thought that it would have got into the vents at top and build up over time and be a fire hazard, because l was thinking of one of them and that is what put me off getting one

cowboy682":1npa9fnj said:
that's it moving into chippygeoff`s hope there is plenty of room lol

Graham.

Do you think there would be room for the both of us at Geoff’s, I would supply my own coffee. :wink:
Travelling could be a problem. :(

Take care.

Chris R.

IMHO a oil filled radiator is the best choice but most of the time I use a very old 1960's Morphy Richards convector heater (they made them to last) I don't find that dust is major problem as the element is well concealed inside, may smell for a few seconds first time it is used after the summer.

I dislike using fan heaters I find them tiring.

Whatever electric heating you use it is not cheap and being tight I do without heat in the workshop as much as possible, if you have the heating on and off you do tend to get condensation which makes the tools rust!

A wood burning stove would seem a logical solution? It would get rid of all the scrap bits of wood and if you buy coal as you are going along, then there are no nasty surprises when the electricity bill lands on the mat.

JimiJimi":1rkvq9hx said:
A wood burning stove would seem a logical solution? It would get rid of all the scrap bits of wood and if you buy coal as you are going along, then there are no nasty surprises when the electricity bill lands on the mat.

It would be but I would be a little concerned with possible naked flames, also you need to do quite a bit of installation work for the flue etc. With oil-filled rads you can just plug in and go and they can easily be controlled with the fitted t/stat.

You used to be able to get a cheap workshop sawdust/scrap wood burner but again would be a bit concerned with the fire risk? :)

Being a scrimper I do like the idea of burning all the shavings sawdust and scraps.

We have open fireplaces in our house and I burn most of the wood scraps there if I can. :)

I love the idea of a woodburner but I bet its really complicated getting it insulated properly and getting t through the roof for the flue :shock:

might be a bit overpowering in my 8x6

I don't have nay concerns in regards dust on the convector heater I don't have much anyway as use dust extract and has been mentioned the elements well protected

mark

Back